Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Silicone liner for the main pan and the double-boiler type lower pan that helps distribute heat within the upper pan area.
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should have said that I have been successful baking any small, one pot type dishes that I've wanted to using both dry baking and steam baking in my Trangia 27 set by itself and with the T27 billy pot for larger dishes. Ive used the same concepts with other cook sets as well. While this Omnia Oven is interesting, I don't see how I'd be able to do anything on it that I can't do on my T27, though it probably has more capacity than my T27.

I also wonder how it would be for other kinds of cooking: boiling water, pan frying a steak or chicken, cooking scrambled eggs, making coffee, or even making a simple vegetable soup. For RV, tiny house living, or car camping, maybe, but not as a sole cook pot for me.
    9Realms likes this.
  3. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Completely agree that the Omnia Oven is not a do-all kit. But if you did not already have a Trangia heat concentrator/pot setup (maybe just a generic frying pan and pot), this pot/"oven" might be a good alternative. Definitely easier to clean with the silicone liner.
  4. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
  6. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the flint striker. Best upgrade to my lantern.
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I do not believe that I do, but am not 100% sure. Will have to take a look. The lantern came from my mom's house after she passed, so it isn't one that I have used a lot.
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is an "aftermarket" add on. But nice to be able to light your lantern without a lighter or matches. Mine is not mounted at such a diagonal angle. Should be, but it works surprising well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the lantern tangent continues.
  9. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ok, I definitely don't have that. Too obvious to overlook.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Saw a good/used Coleman 502 on FB marketplace. Any idea what price ranges these are fetching?
  11. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    On ebay look on the left of the listings there is a list of boxes , go to bottom of list you will see 'show only' check 'sold items' and you will see what has sold in past few weeks. Under 40 bucks will get you a 502. The 502's are rather big for cooking on a cycle. The Peak 1 or 440 are about half the size and will meet your cooking needs. There is a two piece storage case that doubles as cooking pans. There are several stoves that come with own storage /cooking pans as you can see and are more compact.
    enjoy 07 GSA SoCal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    tater tots!!
  13. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    Tator Tots are the bomb on a camping trip. Flavorful little nuggets that crisp up quickly makes them my favorite. enjoy 07GSA SoCal
  14. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    sierra zipstove

1 AA battery & pinecones