Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Silicone liner for the main pan and the double-boiler type lower pan that helps distribute heat within the upper pan area.
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should have said that I have been successful baking any small, one pot type dishes that I've wanted to using both dry baking and steam baking in my Trangia 27 set by itself and with the T27 billy pot for larger dishes. Ive used the same concepts with other cook sets as well. While this Omnia Oven is interesting, I don't see how I'd be able to do anything on it that I can't do on my T27, though it probably has more capacity than my T27.

I also wonder how it would be for other kinds of cooking: boiling water, pan frying a steak or chicken, cooking scrambled eggs, making coffee, or even making a simple vegetable soup. For RV, tiny house living, or car camping, maybe, but not as a sole cook pot for me.
    9Realms likes this.
  3. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Completely agree that the Omnia Oven is not a do-all kit. But if you did not already have a Trangia heat concentrator/pot setup (maybe just a generic frying pan and pot), this pot/"oven" might be a good alternative. Definitely easier to clean with the silicone liner.
  4. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
  6. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the flint striker. Best upgrade to my lantern.
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I do not believe that I do, but am not 100% sure. Will have to take a look. The lantern came from my mom's house after she passed, so it isn't one that I have used a lot.
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is an "aftermarket" add on. But nice to be able to light your lantern without a lighter or matches. Mine is not mounted at such a diagonal angle. Should be, but it works surprising well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the lantern tangent continues.
  9. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ok, I definitely don't have that. Too obvious to overlook.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Saw a good/used Coleman 502 on FB marketplace. Any idea what price ranges these are fetching?
  11. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    On ebay look on the left of the listings there is a list of boxes , go to bottom of list you will see 'show only' check 'sold items' and you will see what has sold in past few weeks. Under 40 bucks will get you a 502. The 502's are rather big for cooking on a cycle. The Peak 1 or 440 are about half the size and will meet your cooking needs. There is a two piece storage case that doubles as cooking pans. There are several stoves that come with own storage /cooking pans as you can see and are more compact.
    enjoy 07 GSA SoCal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kenbob, tjzondrz, 16VGTIDave and 3 others like this.
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    tater tots!!
  13. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    Tator Tots are the bomb on a camping trip. Flavorful little nuggets that crisp up quickly makes them my favorite. enjoy 07GSA SoCal
  14. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    sierra zipstove

1 AA battery & pinecones
    HarveyM likes this.
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I am really liking my evernew Ti alcohol stove with cross stand. Its very small but works great. I use a Snow Peak Ti cup/pot

I really only boil water for dehydrated food and coffee. One fill of alcohol in the stove is enough to boil 6-8 oz of water for the food which I pour into the food pouch then just fill the cup with 4-6 oz of water for coffee and the stove will burn the whole time. Its simple quick easy and all packs into the cup with matches.

This pic is at 20 degrees

[​IMG]
    DirtyOldMan, Emgo and MYUMPH like this.
  16. londen

londen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a 45grams 3000w pocket stove on aliexpress for about €3,50. Link
    And a 750ml SS cup w/lid Link

The cup doesn't hold 750ml, more like 700, and the internal measurements are all off.
    But!
    The cup nests with a Nalgene, or a 100g gas canister that fits the stove. The stove boils 0.5L water in about 3 minutes (14C ambient temperature).
    It is susceptible to winds, and it's LOUD.

Normally I have a Coleman Petrol burner (not sure what type) But I wanted to experiment with a more light weight option, that can still boil water pretty fast. It's more so that I can brew a cup off coffee at a rest stop. Not sure if I would bring it on multiday trips.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  17. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    A5FB25EB-7909-4D0D-8942-B7CAEA52C125.jpeg
    My daughter and I made these penny stoves and pot stands. Great for boiling water for coffee/tea.

C5248AF8-FA01-46FA-8FD1-CD5C58CE6AFE.jpeg
    Our home-made penny stoves at Daytona Speedway for the Daytona 200. Camping on the infield.

419E5A52-EDB3-4C60-BE4E-6EF5EED916F4.jpeg
    I also have an MSR Whisperlite that I bought for military duty because I can use jet fuel from the surrounding tanks.

3575802F-D2AC-4D39-A56E-600470193BEA.jpeg
    This is a Toaks set up that I burn denatured alcohol in.

8A1143CA-08BF-4EF6-8A62-4E97B502905A.jpeg
    Firebox

B527F8D8-1EB8-4F8F-A275-B3BE982435F4.jpeg
    Firebox in action
  18. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    Was back reading some posts and figured a picture is worth.....Both 8r and svea123 need you to fill priming cup/indent and pre-heat liquid fuel into atomized gas. This is the 8r with optional pump in place. Pump and fuel tank cap were options. Pressurized liquid fuel from tank will fill the 8r priming cup or indent on svea123 then you can lite and pre-heat burner. Eliminates you having to physically fill priming cup and does speed up the pre--heat. Very helpful in extreme cold/windy condition when multi burner pre-heats are needed. Once tank is pressurized pump can be removed from cap . enjoy 07GSA Sunny SoCal
    ps. the pink straws are to transfer fuel to priming cup. Place straw in tank press finger on end of straw and transfer trapped fuel to cup.
    [​IMG]
    16VGTIDave and Cal like this.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm never one to worry about weight or compact size. The jetboil is awesome as is the brewed coffee.
    IMG_2433.JPG
    tjzondrz, Cal and zap2504 like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I now carry an eye dropper to fill the priming cup about a half eye dropper load is usually enough to get it running
    kenbob and 16VGTIDave like this.