Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ibgary, Jul 3, 2015.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Had not seen that dual burner Jetboil before! More info?
  2. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's part of their Basecamp set up. I have a small jet boil for short trips. Basically to make coffee. but on my longer trips I carry this one. I have a big dry bag that I put my whole camp kitchen in, that I can carry either 2 wheel or 3 wheel. Much easier on the hack :D. It also works really well when the wife, dog and I are truck camping. the big pot cooks enough corn on the cob for 4-6 people. By the time I got the pots it nests in and all the other stuff it was a bit stupid money wise but every bit worth it when perking coffee and cooking the eggs and bacon in the morning at some remote spot.
    https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com...251.765925339.1573493188-655908603.1573493188

I have since added a small table so I don't face this situation.
    IMG_3207.JPG
    tjzondrz and zap2504 like this.
  3. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using denatured alcohol to prime my white gas stoves. I pry the top off a travel size bottle of contact lens solution and fill it up. The tiny squirt nozzle lets me fill the priming cup very precisely. A four ounce bottle is more than enough for a long weekend. I prefer the alcohol to using white gas because it burns cleaner and doesn’t cover my stove with black soot. Of course I can always use stove fuel if needed.
    Cal likes this.
  4. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of you built a hanging stove. One for big wall rock climbing. I have never stay out on a ledge. But my brother does, and I wanted to gift him one for his birthday. And because I like to tinker with this stuff.
    [​IMG]

The go to currently is the jetboil with a hanging kit. All said the Zip (cheapest) will run you $100+.
    [​IMG]

I just bought one of these in hopes of making a hanging stove. Wondering if I can unscrew the burner. My first attempt to grab the top and the base with my hands to unscrew was unsuccessful. Next I will try to grab the base with some pliers and the put a bolt through the air hole on the burner side. This might destroy the stove. ANyone done this before?
    [​IMG]

I think I should have bought this unit as I know it can unscrew and fit a hanging pot/frame. But I really like the piezo igniter and wanted this particular stove. It has become the go-to cheapie stove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is are sketches of some designs. I will avoid white gas due to the priming, and dangers of spilling flaming fluid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lexaria and -E- like this.
  5. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    My first thought was - GAHH! Not me!
    If you really want your brother to use your idea, I'd strongly get him on board with the initial designs; no surprises. It is obvious he already has a system he is comfortable with carrying/using in such an arduous setting so maybe just an improvement on his existing system might be the better route? Like increasing the efficiency of his existing setup rather than replacing it (given that the Jetboil site states that their stoves are not windproof - if being windproof would be of benefit to your brother).
  6. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    He currently does not have a hanging stove or a jetboil. THe picture is just some goofy dude/picture I found on the internet. He eat cold food when he bigwalls. Will ONLY have a diet of bars and water for a couple of days.

Stove wise he currently runs a whisper light. Before that he had an MSR pocket rocket, which is essentially the same as the mini stove I just bought.
    zap2504 likes this.
  7. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    OK, makes more sense. Did a quick lookup and as you said, many using the Jetboil with hanging kit; but others were using the MSR Reactor with the Jetboil hanging kit so maybe something like that...
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stove unscrews pretty easily once you have it bench top with some tools. Just grab the base and use a punch to turn the burner.

Drilled a hole into the bottom of an old pot. Inserted the stove base, then installed thw support legs, then screwed on the burner. don't think that it will work out as the burner it too tall. Didn't install th ignitor as it would need additional clearancing of the pot and there isn't much room left on the bases thread post. There isn't enough room on the bottom for the on off knob either.

Will have to give this more thought.
    20191111_185519.jpg
  9. Gunerdo

Gunerdo fromwanerbe

Oddometer:
    Things start heating up at 4.30.

Maggot12 likes this.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Dude, hold my beer.
    With so many videos, blog posts, etc. on how to build a simple alcohol stove, how did he get things so wrong:fpalm?
  11. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    While not a cook stove, I recently picked up this never fired, 1969 beauty.

A2E76FC6-6D79-4D4C-ADDD-0A4C9B71B314.jpeg 0F700C38-9D12-4AF2-8011-1A5FA8185FD5.jpeg 2006277A-1B83-4156-983B-D142E148503E.jpeg
  12. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Snapper33, Dread and boulet_boulet like this.
  13. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Ha! Not a chance!
    MotoBoss likes this.
  14. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    My go to stove is a MiniMo jetboil! Small, light, fuel can fits inside no muss no fuss, it just works!
    JR356 and Snapper33 like this.
  15. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a used Primus trail basic stove for round 2 of hanging stove tinkering.
    Also thinking about getting a jetboil flash as an upgrade from my JB zip. Is that igniter and the 1L (vs 0.8L) pot worth it??
  16. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interested in how you made thesis pot stands. Looks very creative and functional.
  17. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    I did not invent them, I followed a YouTube video to make mine. absolutely agree, very creative, functional, and also lightweight.

Here’s the link: .
    MotoBoss likes this.
  18. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's a goofy dude hanging off a cliff - props.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you know that isobutane is a pretty good refrigerant? When you let fuel out of the canister it causes the temperature to drop.

I'm new to isobutane. The Pocket Rocket is really great, with easier start, no spill ever, good control, and very compact packing. I got the Deluxe which is very quiet, especially at simmer which it also does well.

Last month, I found that the half-full 4-oz canister had enough pressure to start cooking, but as the stove burned, the pressure dropped and the canister frosted up. There was still plenty of fuel in the canister but it was coming out slower and slower and barely heating water. This was not "winter camping"; I don't recall even seeing any frost.

I was using a 4-oz canister last month which, in theory, would frost up faster. Letting an equal amount of fuel out of a larger canister should cause less pressure decrease and thus less temperature decrease. Using an 8-oz canister should help and maybe a 16-oz canister at the higher elevations next year. Does this really show up in practice? If I could reduce the temperature decrease by 50% or 75%, that should solve the problem.

I doubt that sleeping with it would make much difference. Does starting with a higher temperature make a significant difference if I'm cooking on a table that's 3C or 4C (high 30s F)?

I have heard that a reflector is a bad idea because it can overheat the canister and cause an explosion. Has anyone used a reflector for spring camping to keep the canister from frosting?

Any other ideas for isobutane for spring camping or higher elevations in summer?

I can take a stove that uses pump gas, but the isobutane is really great when it works.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  20. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Grinnin, this Hikin' Jim fellow has posted up quite a few tech articles in his blog relating to using canister stoves in cold weather:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/ The type of fuel canister can make a difference, some brand blends performing better. Remote canister stoves with a preheater/generator function give you the option of inverted canister operation, are better suited for cold weather operation. This is explained here:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/04/ & here https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2016/12/what-is-remote-canister-gas-stove.html

This talks about the canisters getting cold: https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2016/12/gas-stoves-in-cold-weather-regulator.html

And this post really gets into cold weather operation, with links to other related blog posts: https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2014/12/canister-gas-in-cold-weather-summary.html

For hardcore stovies, his articles are gold!
    boulet_boulet and Grinnin like this.