Stranded in Coldfoot

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by JGuz, Jul 24, 2019.

1. JGuz

JGuz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never thought I’d have have to post here but here I am. Rode up the dalton to deadhorse, on the way back my clutch completely died when I got to coldfoot, can’t get into any gear and will need a rebuild.
    I’m currently just waiting in Coldfoot to see if someone with a truck is heading down to Fairbanks, but it’s not looking great so far. Will post on Craigslist Fairbanks as well, but if anyone knows of any other options to get the bike out of coldfoot, I would be extremely appreciative. Thanks!
  2. UncleRandy

UncleRandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could try contacting Lynden Transportation Services or Carlile Transportation Services to see if they have room on one of their trucks that is heading to Fairbanks. Those companies drive the route nearly every day and will often stop in Coldfoot. It's worth a shot!
    Phoenix101 and JGuz like this.
  3. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't need the clutch to get it into gear. Definitely don't need it to shift gears.
    Tom S likes this.
  4. JGuz

JGuz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Just called both of them and they both said they’d get back to me. Fingers crossed. Otherwise just waiting for anyone else who might be passing through
  5. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Hope you get help! Just remember, sometimes when you least expect it a great memory is born!
    JGuz likes this.
  6. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the clutch slip or can't disengage? If its not disengaging I would start it in first gear and power shift up through the gears. Shifting down is a bit harder but with practice you can do it. Stopping means shutting off the engine. Starting to go again means starting in first gear. Nice if you park pointing downhill slightly. And if it won't disengage, why? broken clutch cable or master cylinder low on fluid? Hope you can find a way back. I don't have a way to get there at the moment.
    JGuz and Tom S like this.
  7. JGuz

JGuz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: it’s been all day and I’m still in Coldfoot for the night, but the problem has been found. The amazing Jeff Fredette happened to roll in with a few other advriders, helped me take take apart the clutch, found no problems, until we realized the that my front sprocket was missing it’s locknut somehow, which must have fallen off somewhere between deadhorse and coldfoot. Magically, a 27mm locknut appeared, I can shift my bike into gear again. I’m going to limp along to anchorage and get everything properly fixed, but this has easily been the most amazing thing that’s happened this whole trip. Thank you everyone! This community rocks.
  8. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Jeff Fredette is in AK?!?! ISDE legend! So awesome!
    Piston
    BikePilot likes this.
  9. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that happened to @outdoorsman on his Alaska trip this summer also.
    Phoenix101 and Bigbob1 like this.
  10. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Close. But wrong highway Tom. I was on the Dempster. LOL
  11. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different highway, but two riders on Tigers stranded by a sprocket retaining nut going AWOL in one season may indicate a problem. That nut doesn't need much torque to do its job, but it does need to stay put.

Edit: Just spoke to a co worker who rides a Tiger and he said there are YouTube videos and even some dealer staff telling folks that the tab washer doesn't need to be bent up to secure the nut when changing the sprocket. Empirical evidence from Alaska this season indicates that isn't true.
  12. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right, Tom. I didn't read the other posts. LOL. Yup, and it happened to @MapMaster on his tiger in 2015 trip to alaska as well.

@JGuz get ahold of Sam @mach1mustang351, he's in Anchorage and helped me out with getting the OEM parts for me bike.
    mach1mustang351 likes this.
  13. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    fuck it.... get 2 tabs :rofl
    JGuz likes this.
  14. JGuz

JGuz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still can't believe that Jeff Fredette worked on my bike. It's hallowed now, definitely can't sell it anymore :rofl

The bike is holding together, but both fork seals blew out on the way down from coldfoot today. I'm leaving a trail of fork oil all the way down to Anchorage :D
    I've been on the phone with the folks from the motorcycle shop in Anchorage and they're waiting for me.
    Hearing about other tigers with this issue is crazy. Whoever thought it was a good idea to not secure the tab has clearly never been up here. I'm just going to make a sacrifice to the motorcycle gods for my good fortune in getting me this far.
  15. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very often you can clean the dirt from your fork seals and stop the leak. Use a thin piece of plastic sheeting (in the olden days a snippet of 35mm film stock) as a wiper and run it between the seal and fork tube.
    SunshineTom and PistonPants like this.
  16. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! So the real question.. Was he riding a kdx?
    BikePilot likes this.
  17. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol...he was riding a KLR 650. I was with him on the trip for two weeks.
    BikePilot and quentin80 like this.
  18. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back safe. It was great meeting you and seeing to make it to the shop with the bush fix Jeff did. What did they all end up replacing @ the shop in Anchorage?
  19. JGuz

JGuz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here! They replaced chain and sprockets (and the missing nut) and fork seals and oil.