Strange issue with Keyless Ride system R1200GSW Adventure

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rideroid, Dec 3, 2018.

1. rideroid

rideroid n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope you all had an amazing weekend. I was riding to meet up with my buddies to do a desert ride and the warning triangle along with a key / question mark came on in the dashboard while cruising on the highway. I immediately checked my pocket and it was there. So it would be a battery problem. Right? I would think. Bought a battery at the nearest store, replaced it and nah... it wouldn't budge. Now it started showing the red light saying "I can't do anything about it".
    I placed my fob in the circular recess on the rear fender and it allowed me to start the bike once I pressed the ignition button simultaneously. Then I took the other step and placed the same fob in the same spot and pressed and held the bmw logo button for a good 1 minute. I repeated this a few times and it didn't work. I don't remember where I put the plastic key and not sure why the bike is not recognizing the fob remotely anymore. I have read every possible thread and the last step worked for everyone but me. Any takes?
  2. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    You pressed the BMW logo button on the FOB? Why?

Are you sure you didn't get a bad "new" battery for the FOB? Installed the battery wrong side up (reversed polarity) maybe?

What year bike?
  3. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Yes good question .. thought I missed something in manual ... nothing there ,then went out and looked at my key fob BMW logo button does depress but nothing happens ... inquiring minds want to know
  4. KHuddy

KHuddy Survivor

Oddometer:
    No fob button pushing required to synch the fob with the bike. The button is used with the optional alarm system.
    Dackrover likes this.
  5. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is the battery. You get a warning on the screen the key battery is low.
    Probably a technical problem with the key or the receiver.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Try holding the keyfob against the depression under the subframe where the receiver is and see if it comes on.

I've seen keyfobs batteries die without any warning before...
  7. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    Thanks..
  8. rideroid

rideroid n00b

Oddometer:
    I got it from Walmart so it could be a bad one (hopefully). I'll try with another battery today. I installed it correctly, though. It's a 2016.
  9. rideroid

rideroid n00b

Oddometer:
    I already did that and the bike's computer come on but the key symbol with the question mark doesn't disappear. I will try with another battery and update the post.
  10. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe this will help,

78B8F81D-30A2-468E-9635-154D1A0FA475.jpeg
  11. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    You won't get a low battery warning if the battery in the FOB is completely dead because it won't see the FOB at all.
  12. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    According to that I can just walk up to any parked keyless GS and pair a new key to it by simply holding it close? What am I missing?
  13. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    BMW mothership needs to program the (new) key for the intended bike so it will not work (hopefully) on any other bikes.
    Plawa likes this.
  14. CrustyAPO

Oddometer:
    Not true, the last two fobs, one for my ‘16 and one for my ‘18, were not programmed when I got them from the dealership. I had to pair them myself. The first fob’s set of instructions were in German, but a post on here had the procedure posted correctly to pair it with the bike. Fortunately the instructions in English accompanied my ‘18’s spare fob.
  15. KHuddy

KHuddy Survivor

Oddometer:
    The two fobs that I purchased for my GSA and Spousal Unit's GS had to be ordered by VIN. Not sure if that means they arrive at the dealers coded to respond only to a specific bike. My dealer says they are not an item the dealer can stock.
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  16. CrustyAPO

Oddometer:
    First fob instructions

7CB16287-451F-4379-9C41-A8D9066534CF.jpeg
  17. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    I was responding to the previous post about his question that any FOB being able to start any bike (not about pairing new FOB with an old bike). But yes, you are correct, pairing is easily done by the owner and doesn't/shouldn't require a trip to the dealer to pair after you have ordered the FOB through the dealer with the proper paperwork and VIN and then it is programmed for that specific bike (VIN) by BMW in the fatherland and then sent to the dealer.
  18. rideroid

rideroid n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, false alarm. It was a brand new, dead battery from Walmart that day. I replaced the battery with a Sony and it works fine. Thank you all for the help.
    sperz1, Callisto224 and LowOnFuel like this.
  19. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  20. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I was in a group with a GSA not doing anything with key fob. We tried everything, phoned techs at BMW but nothing could make the dash light up. Just a red light flicker and that was it. Loaded it in a van and when got to the destination, it started up as if nothing was wrong.
    So sometimes shit just happens. for no reason.
    rideroid likes this.