street and dirt helmet or just one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thwack, Jan 9, 2002.

1. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those of you who ride both street and dirt....do you wear the same helmet for both or do you wear a dirt helmet when you go offroad (even if part of the trip is on the street)?

I know both need to be at least DOT-rated, I'm just curious if I really need to get a true dirt helmet for offroading or if I can "get by" with my street helmet (full face).

I'm going to price a decent dirt helmet anyways in case it's cheaper to replace the dirt helmet than the street in the event I wipe out offroad.

Thanks,
    Thwack
  2. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    thwack..

Most seem to where a street helmet when off road..Getting to the lacation where you can find dirt takes a lot of street miles here in our area..Also..where did you get the impression that a good dirt helmet is cheaper than a good street helmet? A good dirt helmet will cost you about $300-$400..

Don't get me wrong you can get a cheeper helmet..(street or dirt) but i should would not like to crash my 600lb pig on my head way out in the middle of no where and no have a good helmet on..Rocks hurt just as much as the road..but it's your head..

Rick
  3. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear I'm not a total loon for thinking I could get by offroad w/ my street helmet.

As for, "...where did you get the impression that a good dirt helmet is cheaper than a good street helmet?". Um, I didn't have that idea. I said I was going to compare them in case that was true (i.e.: I hadn't priced good dirt helmets yet).

My street helmet is an Arai RX-7RR4 full face and I expect something equivalent for off-road which means shelling out another $400 bucks so if I could avoid that (or delay that) by just using the street helmet then I'd be happy.

But if I'd be the only dork riding offroad in a street lid, I wanted to know that up front.:):

Thanks,
    Thwack
  4. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    No you would not be the only dork off road with a street lid, you will just be the only dork off road.....oh, execpt for Fish:smile6

Welcome to nut house
  5. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whew! :):

Thanks.
  6. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome.......Dork..:rofl

Looks like your from our hood..looks us up some time and go ride'in..As far as the RX7RR..i have three..the weak area on the helmet is the upper vent tubes that run across the top of the helmet..even just a small drop can cause these to break..Great helmet and not a bad off road helmet..It's really light and you can remove the lineing to wash after sweating in it all day after off road riding..

I do not remember if you can just replace the upper vent tubes or not in case of a get off..

Rick
  7. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've noticed quite a few Bay Area folks on here (being generous and including Santa Claus, er, Cruz, in my definition of "Bay Area" helps add another name or two).

Once I figure out what I'm doing when I'm offroad, I'd love to hook up with the locals. I missed the recent on-road AdvRider gathering at Alice's because I was at DisneyLand with my family (and snuck in a day-long MSF Dirt Bike School in Colton, CA with my 10 yr old son and some buddies while we were down that way).

I was going to ask if anybody else was planning to catch the Jan 27th CalBMW/Doc Wong dirt bike session, then I remembered this one's aimed at beginners so I figure I'll likely be the only one there from here... :):

Thanks for the helmet info. I may get a true dirt helmet later just to have more chin protection and/or lower ventilation (and a sun visor) but for now, I'll spend my pennies on the other gear I need (pads, etc) rather than riding in my usual leathers.

Thwack
    (cool, there's even a smiley named after me... :thwak )
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'd rather be included in the Santa Cruz Mountains group...even tho I'm a relative flatlander.

Hey, when you figure that out, would you clue me into it? I'm totally uncomfy when sliding around. Never rode dirtbikes as a kid, and it's only been in the last five years that I've really even done much non-pavement riding. Sure, some of these other dirtmonkeys will diss me for my lack of offroad prowess, but fucken-a...I'm learning.

congrats or condolences, whichever is more appropriate.

You won't catch me on a shop ride. I like riding alone.

damn straight. I got one too :shark

I don't see no pig smilies.
  9. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, did I touch a nerve by lumping the Santa Cruzers into the Bay Area? It's a bad habit picked up from too many years of living in San Jose which is closer to SC than to SF anyway.
    :):

Sure...but you may have to wait more than the five years you've already been doing since that's apparently not long enough and you're at least 5 years ahead of me. I didn't ride dirt as a kid either (hell, we could barely afford dirt, no way we were gonna be able to buy a bike to ride on it).

I like riding alone too, but I figure I've got a shot at learning something, so I'll try it once. Group riding's OK, but with a pick-up group, it can be a pain since they tend to not be well-organized when it comes to communicating along the way. I'm doing this one in hopes of speeding up learning about dirt...

Nice custom smiley you got there...
  10. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    I'll be helping out at the dirt clinic on the 25th and 27th in Hollister. The way these have been conducted in the past was to use the morning session to review really basic skills like balancing, standing on the pegs, weighting outside peg in a turn and some front and rear wheel sliding. All of this is done in relatively soft dirt in a paddock next to the vintage track at Holister Hills ROV park. After each skill is tought the group is set loose on the vintage track to practice. After lunch several groups set out to try their new skills on the trails. I'll be leading one of these groups. The levels range from advanced(I don't know why you're even here other that to show off) to beginner(thats the clutch and thats the brake). For the GSs and Tigers we'll emphasize some additional points about big pigs. These rides are good for most people who want to brush up on their riding skills. I've been told by past attendees that it really helped their road riding skills and allowed them to remain in control and react correctly to a rear wheel slide or a skid. I'd say if you don't like group rides or you already know how to handle your bike well off-road then don't show up. I do it because I really think they help take the idiot out of the rider. It's also fun to see the urban commando wannabe GS riders wearing all of the "right gear" with terror in their eyes at the prospect of falling in the mud nad getting dirty. Some of you should show up on mopeds or scooters for the shame factor....Jean Luc?!Crash?!
    Cheers,
    Jorge C :eek2
  11. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Re: street or dirt helmet -- From my experience, street gear is fine for day trips into the outback when riding by yourself. But if you ride in a group, all your nice clean apparel is going to be permeated with dirt. The inside of your nice clean Arai -- the roadcrafter that you've sat and watched spin around for two hours at the laundry mat -- will be filthy by the end of the day. Also, if you're doing the kind of riding that cRAsH has documented with his outstanding pbase albums, getting off the bike to move fallen logs can get very hot, sweaty and exhausting with a full face helmet and full body cordura suit on. AMHIK

Just my $.02
  12. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case I forget to say it on the 27th..."thanks for helping out". I'd help if I knew what I was doing but for now, I'm stuck being the helpee, not the helper. :):

I've never been there before...what's the Vintage track like? Long, short, flat, bumpy, etc? Any pictures of it available?

I know where the brake and clutch are and have been riding street for about a year and a half...but my only dirt time was last week during MSF's Dirt Bike School...who's leading this group around?

13. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mind getting my normal stuff dirty at least for the first few rides. Plan is to have dirt duds for those rides eventually so my street leathers can stay clean (well, OK, except for bug guts cuz I'm too lazy to clean that off). I just wanted to find out if I could scrape by short term at least without buying a dirt helmet.

Eventually, I'll likely get one (like after tax season or maybe after the recession ends or maybe santa will bring me one if I pretend to be good for once). :-)

Thwack
    (but I'm not moving logs during a shop ride)
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I like to wear dirt gear on the street,as I usually hit gravel roads,and I like light gloves,strong boots etc.
    I also like to use a peak on my helmet,so I have a Nolan NS70,this has a removable peak and a visor.Just love it.
  15. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the NS70 noisy (compared with other full face helmets) if the visor is on and closed?

I'd love a peak on my street helmet to block late afternoon sun...but I didn't want to use a dirt helmet on the street due to the extra wind noise...

Thanks,
    Thwack
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's drinkies time at the Razorbak household.
  17. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the name's been with me for a long time so I was pleasantly surprised to find it already used here as a smiley (even though they slightly misspelled it). :):

I thought the only thing useful for the fish rodeo portions was asbestoes undies and another beer. :rofl

What's the ominous music...hey!...I was only kidding...uh-oh... :shark

Back on topic quick...I was planning to be at Doc Wong's rookie dirt clinic at the end of this month, but had to cancel out. Found out that we'll be racing pinewood derby cars for my son's scout troop the same time as the pre-ride clinic and have another conflict during Kari's make-up clinic... :cry

Thwack
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    We'll be finishing my son's pinewood car this weekend. Guess what the theme is...yep, shark.
  19. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean like this?

Attached Files:

20. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...like this?

Attached Files: