street and dirt helmet or just one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thwack, Jan 9, 2002.

1. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....unless I find more... :smile6

Attached Files:

2. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the first one best so far...where's a picture of yours?

Attached Files:

3. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hey Thwack.
    Don't worry about the pre-ride stuff.
    Just show up at Cal on Sunday AM or at Hollister. I'll go over the details before the ride with you and any other stragglers when we get there anyway.
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Great ideas...that first one is awesome.

right now, it looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]
  5. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding?!?!?!?! Cool! I'll put it back on my calendar then (and I'll quit pouting...at least about this). :-)

Guess I shouldn't show up for breakfast at Jerry's w/ Doc though if I miss the clinic or is that still cool too? He seemed to be pretty adamant that you gotta make the clinic if ya wanna make the ride (so I figured I was out of luck)...

Thwack
  6. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Contact me offline...
    Basically, I'm helping Kari teach the course.
    If necessary I will review the clinic material with you sometime this week.
    Where are you on weekdays?
    Do you have ANY free time on Saturday? Say early AM?
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  7. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first one was the inspiration for the others...the kid came up w/ the idea and apparently did the airbrush work as well. The rest are imitators that saw the picture and wanted to do their own version.

They'll post your shark too if you send a pic after the race...for details, point your browser to:

http://www.3n.net/people/jjenkin/pwdcars.htm

Lots of cool pics there to inspire would-be racers.

My son's car is cut to shape (he drew it, one of the leaders cut it out at a den meeting, various folks sanded it, he & I primed it, and he & his mom were supposed to do the rest of the painting but haven't yet...oh yeah, gotta clean up the axles still).

I haven't made mine yet...I have some ideas but they all require way more time than I can spare. A coworker did a cool one last year...it was a diorama of a pinewood derby race...shaped the "car" like a pwd race track, made ultra-tiny cars, painted lanes, etc...ran terribly (nothing done to help the axles, etc) but looked wicked cool...
  8. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Offline contact has been sent...thanks!
  9. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info (on topic and informative...you're doomed). :):

Which dirt helmet are you using? I still insist on having a Snell-rated helmet since so many of the DOT helmets don't actually live up to the standard and Snell allegedly enforces their spec pretty well. Makes the helmet cost more but I like to pretend my brain's worth it. :):

I prefer the visor, even with the fogging, since it helps reduce the chance of stuff getting into my contacts. I usually wear riding glasses and have the visor down...my wife says I should lighten up a bit...

Does the noise of the dirt helmet cause problems on long rides (like 200+ miles) or do you wear foam ear plugs (or something similar) to cut the wind noise on the road?

Thwack
  11. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    thwack

I use a Shoei road helmet and a HJC off road helmet, the HJC is DOT approved and has Snell M95 written on it also, so I'm assuming it's Snell approved, the helmet cost $120.

I also wear glasses, so I use goggles when riding with the HJC, I have on occasion worn ear plugs, but to be honest, I don't like the feel of them, When riding on long distances with the off road helmet, I also wear a ski mask wrap, to keep my wittle nose warm ,this also covers my ears, so helps to cut down on the noise.

The more I think about it, I don't know why I bought the Shoei ($260), I hardly use it, even though it is a much better helmet, except for the windshield fogging and the restriction of air flow around my head.

Dave
    Salem OR
  12. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it says Snell, I always assume it really is since supposedly the Snell folks take the rating seriously and have no problems frying any manufacturer that fudges the test results...

Good tip...thanks! I'll have to try to dig up one of my skiing face masks...I expect it'll be pretty chilly this Sunday en route to Hollister for the dirt bike clinic and my full face lets a lot of air hit my chin and I'm tired of it freezing. :-)

Thanks!
    Thwack
  13. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear the same helmet - an Arai Dual Sport (photo attached at end of post).

Bieffe makes one very similar called the "3 Sport", but I have no idea of its quality usefulness:

[​IMG]

The Arai DS is a decent helmet, albeit a bit expensive ($350+) and they don't make it anymore. There are some people who still carry it; Cascade BMW had some this last summer.

The helmets are a cross between an MX helmet and a street helmet. They have the chin bar of an MX helmet letting more air in so you don't get so hot. They also have the larger visor opening, and you can remove the visor, so you can wear goggles when off-road. Visors suck off-road as you get too hot and the view through the visor is quickly obscured by dust (or mud) both inside and out. Whereas goggles typically don't get dust on the inside.

The problem is that on the street the helmet is not as quiet (indeed noticeably so) and not as aerodynamic as a street helmet. To help in that regard I have a NOJ skirt on my DS that helps a little with the noise and a lot with the cold when it is chilly. I can take the skirt and visor off when riding off-road for any length of time.

I have some clear tape over the outside chin bar ventilation as I lost the inserts to block them off a long time ago. There is also a nose guard to help reduce condensation on the visor. The visor does not seal very well and when it rains that can be a slight annoyance.

As for the expense of a dirt only helmet; MX helmets are not as expensive as street helmets because they are basically a shell with padding. They are as protective off-road as a street helmet, and are safer because they do not cause overheating. They do not need a visor nor do they any moving parts generally, and that cuts down a lot on their cost. So yeah, they can easily be half the cost of a street helmet.

Attached Files:

14. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    You asked about the N70, and I just bought one last week on advices from the "Chain Gang". I was looking for a dual-sport helmet for the same reasons I have a dual-sport bike. Yes, I know, it's easier to carry a 2nd helmet than a 2nd bike but still...

What are the main differences (IMHO) between a street and dirt helmet?
    - Street:
    > Crash protection at high speed
    > Silence
    > Protection from the air/rain (screen...)
    > you can wear (sun) glasses

- Dirt: because dirt riding is much more physical you're sweating much more, wich means different priorities, even if everything above would be nice too:
    > BIG ventilation. That's why the MX helmets were open face for a long time. Now they have a chin, but pretty far from the face to let air in.
    > However you need to protect your eyes from rocks and dust: the way to go is to wear MX googles.
    > It's difficult to wear sun glasses with googles and so you need a big visor.

As you see, it's impossible to have the perfect helmet for both uses :cry

However, the N70 is a pretty good compromise, especially for the price (I got mine under $100!). It's basically a street helmet, where they have been able to integrate a (removable) visor, and a much better ventilation than all the street helmets I know. You can use it:
    > as a street helmet: screen, no visor
    > as "dirt" helmet: no screen, visor + goggles
    > as a dual-sport: screen AND visor
    All the changes take less than a minute.

Visor: big enough to block the sun at sunset and with holes that allow you to wear it at high speed.
    Goggles: the space is really tight for my Scott MX googles and I don't have much air going around.
    Noise: pretty silent for my taste but I'm used to flip-up helmets that are usually noisier than the best Arai. I wear earplugs only on long rides.
    Comfort: surprisingly comfy for the price.
    Liner: It's sanitized, but for a dirt use (remember sweat and dust :wink:) it would be better if it was removable.

Conclusion: I really like it and I think it's a GREAT deal. I will try to find smaller googles, though, for real dirt rides.
  15. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool helmet! I wish that one were still available. I like the styling (looks sort of like a storm trooper helmet from Star Wars).

Cool concept though I'm not sure I trust Bieffe. I'll keep an eye out for the Arai but I need to find it somewhere I can try it on to verify the fit.

Thanks for the pics and the info.

Thwack
  16. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...good info. I spent this money budget on pants, jersey, boots, pads, and chest protector...so a 2nd helmet has to wait a bit longer....but when I do go looking, I've got some great info here to help.

Thwack
  17. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found some Bieffe full face dirt helmets for about $90 on Kawasaki's site that are Snell-rated (as well as DOT). I'll have to see if the local Kawi dealer has some in stock so I can see if they fit properly...

The $30 helmets are only DOT-rated which I don't trust.

Guess I'll have to make a lunch trip and try some on...
  18. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/product.asp?Dept=5&ID=4322 has the same helmet for $80, but say it's only DOT, not DOT & Snell. So, I'll have to see if Bieffe has a page of their own that clarifies what their rating really is...
  19. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.bieffeamerica.com/motorcyc.htm

The MX is NOT Snell-rated (despite what Kawi has on their web site where they're closing out the remaining units at MORE than Bieffe's list price...d'oh).

Bieffe does have an SX and an X line that are both Snell-rated with the SX being slightly higher list price than the MX and the X being even higher.

DennisKirk has the MX on closeout for about $48...much better then the $89 that Kawaski's asking. :):

It pays to shop around...
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    A $48 helmet?

remember the old Bell Star ads? "If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet."

rocks aren't any softer offroad than they are on.