street and dirt helmet or just one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thwack, Jan 9, 2002.

1. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries...I'm not looking for el cheapo...I was just comparing prices and mumbling out loud about how lousy Kawi's "closeout" deal was. The $48 helmet isn't Snell-rated so it's not on my "acceptable" list.

Bell had a great slogan then and it still holds true today. I'm not sure I even believe the $100 Bieffe helmets really are Snell (though as I understand it, Snell is enforced so they'd never survive if they were lieing about it).

Maybe it's because half the time I think that brand name is prounced "biff" (as in one of the sound-effects from the old Batman cartoons...pow....bam....biff...). :):

Thwack
    (I've got at least a $85 head) :):
  2. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thwack

You seem to be a fan-a-roonie of Snell.
    So whats the difference between Snell and DOT approval ?

This question is for anyone else that may know also.

Dave
    Salem OR
  3. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert and I don't try to play one here on the net, but as I understand it DOT isn't really enforced (at least not very well). It's self-selecting if you will....i.e.: each manfuacturer is responsible for verifying their helmets meet the spec but nobody really double checks that.

So, a company could just slap a DOT sticker on a tupperware bowl and legally sell it as a helmet (or they could color the tupperware bowl and give it a fancy name like "beanie" then sell it as though it were a useful helmet).

Snell actually inspects and tests to ensure you meet their standard. It's a stricter standard as well (gee, the normal DOT gov't standard isn't the bestest all around?). So, I figure if it says Snell, it actually meets some usable standard vs. just saying DOT doesn't mean diddlysquat...

I'm sure if I'm way off the mark, somebody will smack me back into reality. :-)

Thwack
  4. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They used to say that, but now Bell makes rather cheap helmets. I believe they sold out to another company, and I think it may have even been the same company that owns Bieffe.

I bought a Bell for my daughter, but now, for the money ($150) I think I could have bought her a better helmet. I believe Arai and Shoei are much better helmets than Bell.
  5. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snell says, "All of the requirements described herein, including both initial certification and random sample testing, are an integral part of this Standard. No helmet can satisfy the Standard unless it is subject to both certification and random sample testing by the Foundation.

Snell certification ñfor protective headgear requires a specific contractual agreement between the primary headgear manufacturer and the Foundation. Certification procedures may be obtained upon application to the Foundation.
    "

Their web site has much much more info http://www.smf.org/

:jive
  6. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the definitive answer...way better than my version. :):
  8. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I debated (on this site and with many other riders) and finally purchased several Arai helmets. Quantum for street, VX-Pro for off road, and Roof (Boxer – 99) for extended street and off-road. I found that I actually rider differently when I where a particular helmet. (Kinda like hats I suspect.) I am presently installing ECHO Products quick snaps on all my Arai helmets, (as soon as I can locate replacement chin-strap snaps… the little red plastic grommet that keeps the chin strap from flapping that MUST be removed to implement the quick – release snap). Right now I have (several calls and emails) into Arai dealers, and ARAI (PA HQ) to see if I can get these parts… another important aspect in buying a helmet. I will be a the Doc Wong clinic, darning MX helmet, Goggles, Combat touring boots and armored Bellstaff jackets and Moose pants… yep, the gear kinda sets a frame of mind for me. But Geez, in the cold weather I must say the MX (VX-Pro) is very chilly! Also I am getting too much nose pressure from the (tight fit) Scott Goggles. I wear corrective glasses so I was wondering if anyone else has located a manufacture with shorter nose to top-of-lens clearance. (Smith Model 87 OTG is almost 3”)
  9. Claim Jumper

Claim Jumper will work for knobbies

Oddometer:
    Until recently I only had a Shoei street helmet and I found that it pretty much sucks offroad. By this I mean that the dust and dirt gets into the helmet and just swirls around eventually coating everything (eyes, inside of shield etc...). On the other hand the dirt helmet has that cool visor which is worth its weight in gold off road but causes some serious drag onroad at higher speeds. I found a nice snell approved dirt lid for just over 100 bucks (with a removable liner etc...) at a local motorcycle store and I had to buy a 30 dollar set of goggles to go with it but it is definitely superior if your idea of "adventure" involves any dirt.
    Synopsis:
    Around town or mostly highway=Street helmet
    Lots of gravel, trails=Dirt helmet+goggles.
    A little of both=it's going to be a trade off, aching neck muscles with a dirt helmet or I can't see my own nose through all this dust.