1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Street Scrambler de-cat: worth it?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by SCR100, Sep 21, 2020.

1. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering doing a de-cat on my 2017 Street Scrambler. Ideally, I'd like to cut open and gut the stock converter, but I don't have the skills or resources for that.

I'm considering the Free Spirits H-pipe because it seems to be the best as far as having the correct mounting tabs for the heat shield. The Weslake pipes have also been recommended, and they are true dual with no cross over. Their weld is less obvious, but I'm not sure how fiddly fitting the heat shield would be, though.

My biggest question now is: Is it worth it? On an otherwise stock engine, is just the H pipe worth the price?

I don't want overly loud. Heat hasn't been too much of an issue for me, personally. I spoke to a friend who gutted his stock cat on a Triumph touring bike (Sprint, I think) and he said it made a big difference in heat and runnability.

Thoughts?
  2. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    I don't see the point. When I had a 2017 SS, the PO had installed a Vance & Hines. I didn't think it was hot and had a nice tone.
    When I traded for 1200 XC I needed to decat because the heat from 1200 engine is ridiculous. It's still much hotter after decat then the SS was with cat.
    I can't say that decat changed performance any, except less overrun once I did the selftune.
  3. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you trying to gain with the decat? I see this all the time on other forums and really, nobody can articulate why they want to do it. The exhaust will still be hot, it will be louder, and you'll be $300-$500 poorer.
  4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    816, I think the most you can re
    ally get out of it is a loss in weight. Just like the guys that put $1,500 into a unuptainium exhaust system for the sound equals power theory. They sometimes gain a horse or two up top and lose a bunch of toque down below in the usable range.

There are always tradeoff's.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The exhaust heat is reduced considerably, that is why most owners do it and they state that in their reason for doing so. If the exhaust wasn't located high beside your legs most wouldn't worry about it. Same reason for having the headers ceramic coated inside and out. Heat reduction.
  6. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not only, but you’re going to have to retune the ecu which at a minimum it’s going to cost you 200.

So now you’re 400+200+ the install if you pay the shop to do it. Disappointed, most will also get a new silencer for $700-$1200, another $250 for an airbox delete with poor performing oiled air filter, then perhaps $400-$1000 for a supposed super cam.

When really the best thing they could’ve done is just buy a new front sprocket or pay up for a used 1200 to get more HP they didn’t need to begin with.
  7. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure this is a total exaggeration. No re-tune needed, and what's all this extra 700-1200+250 stuff... It's just a decat, done for $50.
  8. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its not. I’ve looked into it. Those numbers are actual prices. Removing the cat isnt some nip and tuck if going with the modified exhaust header, as OP asked about.
  9. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    The 1200 will perform a self tune and I imagine the 900 will do the same. You merely start the bike without touching throttle and let it idle for about 15 minutes. Display showed "done" or "complete" and that's it. It fuels better as evidenced that the overrun disappeared afterwards. Most of the people saying bikes need a retune or booster plug just want to sell something to ignorant owners or self justify their own purchase.