Stretchy protection pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FrankLoL, May 19, 2020.

1. FrankLoL

FrankLoL Always ready for the next adventure

Oddometer:
    I have a weird condition where if I wear normal pants, I get wickedly painful stomach aches and pains. The only pants I've been able to find that are better than parachute pants are these thick heavy jeans that have a stretch waist. They are hot and uncomfortable as hell.

I'm trying to find protective pants that are also light and have a stretchy waist. We mostly ride hot weather since I'm in the southwest so need something vented or light enough that I'm not dying in the hundred degree heat.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
  2. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard really good things about the new Klim Marrakesh pants. I tried a pair on awhile back and they seemed really comfortable and stretchy.
  3. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lead I'll look into those. $300/$400 a pair, they better be special :).
  4. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Fat guy pants and suspenders
  5. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
    LOL, ya but I'm maybe 20Lbs overweight, not 300 LBS. Still, the point makes sense :)
  6. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the 5.11 Stryke Motor Pant. They are not the most protective but they do have Kevlar linings on the knees and the seat area. I have a pair and wear them for short rides, etc. They come in big boy sizes (what I wear) and have a fairly relaxed it. They are on sale right now ($100 off) on https://www.511tactical.com/stryke-motor-pants.html.

[​IMG]
    No-Fret likes this.
  7. JGT

JGT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously, consider the suspenders. I've got some Revit pants that work with Revit-brand suspenders and they do make it more comfortable to ride while somewhat bent over. Pants waist can be loose enough for comfort and suspenders keep the pants up when you are standing.
    No-Fret likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are absolutely great, with the caveat that they don't fit over bigger ADV/DS boots. Unlike most Klim pants they don't have a gusset/expansion panel at the bottom.

Also, if your issue is stomach area, then you need stretch/expansion in the waist right? I'd echo everybody else and suggest finding pants that work with a company's suspender option. If you have $$ coming out of your ears, Rukka's AFT line of pants vents through the entire chassis, has stretch materials for comfort, and are set up to work with their suspenders.
  9. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    What about a onsie, like Aerostich or the Klim Hardanger? A bit pricey, but no uncomfortable waist problems.
    Alternatively, Firstgear makes some pants with integrated suspenders (Kilimanjaro and Kathmandu).
  10. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    How about a 1-piece suit? Maybe Roadcrafter R3 Light?
    brianbrannon likes this.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motoport overpants have a 6" wide waist that stretches. The pants will almost hold up without the included belt. You could easily adjust the belt to hold the pants up while giving you all the stretch you could imagine. In this particular case, I'm not sure there is a better option for pants with some stretch on the waist.
    MAfromZA and GSWayne like this.
  12. FarklePilot

FarklePilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I'm touring in anything above 80 degree weather I wear Bohn mesh under armour under parachute material pants. Super comfy, not hot at all... Done many an Iron Butt ride wearing that set up.
  13. Randyincolo

Randyincolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered a pair of the Stryke Motor Pant, hard to go wrong for $50.
    Can always return them.
    I normally toss on a pair of sweat pants for short rides. Will give these a go.
    Thanks for the tip
  14. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
    Wow, the site didn't email me that there were replies and a number of them. I'll go through and look at the ideas you're all suggesting.
    Suspenders sound uncomfortable because we not only ride in hot weather but we hike a lot during those rides. Hiking in NV/AZ summer heat can be brutal and I think suspenders might chafe. I don't know since I've never worn any but I know what it's like to have backpack belts doing that.

I have some sort of problem that causes severe cramps if I wear anything that feels restrictive against my waist/tummy. Been dealing with it all my life and no doc has ever figured it out. I'm willing to spend the bucks if I absolutely have to because comfort and safety are two things we all need when riding.

Thanks for all the input, I'll go through it.
  15. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bullit tactical or sp120 jeans are pretty stretchy. The covec material they use has quite a bit of stretch in them.
  16. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend has some stretch kevlar leggings, pretty awesome material. Stretchy, not too hot and really good abrasion protection. Haven't seen anyone making men's gear with it yet as the "Motorcycle Man Leggings" market is rather small, but maybe you can find something that uses the material at least partially.
    FrankLoL likes this.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they a Kevlar knit, or Kevlar lined? Highly stretchy outers with a knit liner tend to fare quite poorly in a crash, as the outer fabric rips easily. Of course weaving the Kevlar in fixes this.
  18. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some sort of kevlar or dyneema knit. Don't know the details but they look like regular slightly thick leggings and are stretchy.

Edit: https://www.gogogearla.com/