Striking Viking bumming the world (On the road again)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by strikingviking, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Gimme 3 three years and I'll put something together.
  2. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Oddometer: 23,626

Oddometer:
    Are you serious? This is his ride report and these are places he's going to be talking about his ride.
    Are you new here?
  3. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What happened to all the rr photos on this thread?
  4. Phone Guy

Oddometer:
    That's funny...... why are you looking here if it offends you. It is nice of you to reply and keep this Ride Report at the top.

There are new riders who enjoy looking back on ride reports. Have you posted a ride report?
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

I went down to Mazatlán once upon a time in Ole Mexico, and, having had only previous indirect contact with Glen via ADV, made it a point to go and look up El Vikingo in person on his turf. Not only did I and and a few in my posse have a nice dinner out (camarones, thank you very much), he then hosted an evening at his condo with a slideshow of his world travels and served cold beer and answered questions. He even offered me the use of his condo in the future when he wasn't there, and, fast forward a bunch more years, he repeated the offer to me recently.

He donates a huge bunch to charities and inspires legions of moto travelers around the world.

I'm not surprised at the few who are jealous of his exploits, however. Why? Because unfortunately, there will always be a small minority in all aspects of life those who cannot accept the success of others and who try to elevate themselves by putting others down. This says way more about the detractor's poor self image than anything else.

Glen isn't all that hard to find. Go look him up in California, or ride down to Mexico (permit me to recommend the camarones, at one of the beach side restaurants), or maybe even at one of his presentations. Read his books. Understand who he is. Talk to him. Be inspired.

Phone Guy hit the nail on the head with his post above - there are a lot of folks new and old on ADV who like ride reports that are classic, and the one you are all reading now in this thread is uniquely classic. But if you don't understand that the guy who started this ride report is the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back, you don't know the man.

Did I recommend the camarones in Maz? Langosta in Veracruz (at La Mera Madre) and camarones in Maz. Get your mole fix in either Puebla or Oaxaca.

And sit down with Glen Heggstad and have a beer or three.
  6. George Papadopolis

George Papadopolis between

Oddometer:
    He's been running this troll for years:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520939
  7. Phone Guy

Oddometer:
    Maybe he couldn't get his book signed. If he sat with Glen for an hour and listened and looked at his photos he might have a different outlook. Glen is a good Man.
  8. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are going to Mazatlan and not going down the coast the new road from Durango is amazing... Quite the feat of civil engineering. But bring enough fuel and pesos, I ran out of the latter and had to take a detour that was, exciting to say the least ;)
  9. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. On my last ride around the planet BMW dealers of Southern California (DAG) provided a new 2004 650 Dakar with the understanding that I would do some slideshows for their dealers when I returned. And although that agreement dates back ten years to when I originally left on the journey, I still make guest appearances for them out of gratitude for being there when I needed them. They were loyal to me so I am loyal to them.

A few years ago, BMW North America did subsidize many dealers in other states who wanted to hire me for shows. They covered hotel, airfare and $2,500 in speaking fees and I did earn a handsome income from those shows.

I currently do motivational speaking to large corporations for amounts significantly higher than BMW paid me but I really prefer speaking to fellow motorcyclists at smaller venues of approximately 200. I try to explain to those who hire me that my shows are free, I just charge for sitting in airports.

I won't personally sell books at this rally but DAG buys some to sell. ALL royalties from both of my books and television appearances are still donated to international aid organizations. (International Committee of the Red Cross, Room to Read and Survivors of Torture.) I have never made a dime off of any of my books. So if that is Spamming then I plead guilty.
  10. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Please make that three beers.
  11. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Some were accidentally deleted when a friends server crashed, and more when my publisher requested this. I spent a couple years roaming, writing religiously and uploading that information here so we could all share the journey. As many of you know, writing, editing and posting from the road can be difficult and is really a gift from the heart to those we want to know how cool it is to get out and meet our neighbors.

After leaving that work on this site for approximately one year more, because my second book which was based on those journals was being released, I felt it was fair to all to delete my postings. At the risk of Spamming--those books are still available on amazon and continue to sell many years after original publication.

But even if you don't like me or the way I write, when you buy my books, a couple of bucks from that purchase goes to build schools in Cambodia, Nepal and Viet Nam.

Oh and I almost forgot...there were a couple of hundred pics of women from around the world but a few yapping poodles complained so loud that even when the Mods told them to shut up, I still decided to avoid the controversy and delete them. The ring leader was RobbieO who felt that a few of the girls resembled his grand daughter but I suspect that he feels that way whenever he sees a hot chic in a bikini. Does this say something about his fantasies?
  12. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    This new autopista has helped our local economy with lots of pesos pouring in from Monterrey and other eastern cities.
  13. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    You are correct that this thread ceased to be a ride report in the traditional sense several years ago. That is the reason I seldom post here anymore--now it's mainly responses to questions and sometimes announcements that numerous people have asked me to post here.

Given that the bulk of the 3.2 million hits on this thread actually occurred after I returned from that original ride, to me is an indication of residual interest. I suspect that my strongest critics hang on every word I write if for no other reason than to complain to someone about what a bad guy I am.

But the really good news is that after being told to get my affairs in order from a brief but nasty cancer battle four years ago, I continue to pull zeros on my 90-day blood-screenings. And at 62 years young, I still wrestle three times a week in a dojo packed with twenty-something alpha-males anxious to, and occasionally are successful at kicking my ass. Fuck it, I feel good and I hope you all do too!

[​IMG]
  14. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Jajaja...that's exactly how I feel when I'm done teaching my Spanish classes!

Glad to hear about the med reports...great photo!
  15. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    jajajajaja since I was getting your beers out of your fridge we can set the number of beers to whatever you want :lol3
  16. gwedo

gwedo old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    F em i read any thing you post hear and your books are great . keep kickin the big C
  17. N9921X

N9921X Wins

Oddometer:
    R O
    Short for repair order.

Hey guy, please stop wasting electrons on this thread.

We love old Glenn and hate to see your abusive remarks.

:eek1
  18. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap Good to see you're still about and active Glen. I totally enjoyed following your old ride report as it was happening. And the gals, O la la. Okay, the scenery pics were cool too. :lol3 But, the old report just ain't the same to go back and read now with all you had to cut from it. :cry Glad to see your still doing well. Keep it going amigo.
  19. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

:clap
  20. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    That's a great pic of you. the Big Guy with the Big Smile!

Glad to see you out and about Mate. We met at dinner with Chanderjeet in Palm Desert years ago. Keep it up, and F*ck Cancer!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.