Striking Viking bumming the world (On the road again)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by strikingviking, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    EARTH RIDE SHOW TIMES:
    10:30 and 4:30 on Saturday.
    1:30 on Sunday
    Please note that I have been advised that these times may be subject to change but I will post any updates here.
    I will also be selling books in a booth so stop by and say howdy with a FF salute.
    Trip Hammer and ywr969 like this.
  2. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Here is a short promo video for EARTH RIDE!
    RHC66, Grynch, JMB_ADV and 3 others like this.
  3. rickrwh

rickrwh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no Washington DC show this year.
    strikingviking likes this.
  4. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But But But , I go to China Town and eat lunch, then the show. And I want to see the Africa Twin. Then I go to Arlington and eat pizza and watch the end of the AFC playoff game. Then I go to a different pizza place and bring two home.
  5. AirCooledNut

AirCooledNut A fly on your lamp

Oddometer:
    USA version of England (Portland, Oregon)
    Glen, nice to have met you at the Portland show. Now that I'm safely behind a keyboard I can tell you, :dizave
    I enjoy road trips (cross-country in August no-less!) in my classic air-cooled VW so it only makes sense that my love for motorcycles takes that path and you just threw some gas on the candle of that desire. Mission accomplished. I'll get to your book this weekend and start planning my eventual escape.

20151101_142428.jpg :thumb
  6. JMB_ADV

JMB_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just watched the dvd and second that
  7. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride, report and pics!!
    Grynch and strikingviking like this.
  8. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    EarthRidePoster.jpg
    Ride Now and ywr969 like this.
  9. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Here is my speaking schedule for this weekend:
    Friday 4:30pm to 5:30pm
    Saturday 11:00am to 12:00pm & 5:00pm to 6:00pm
    Sunday 11:30 am to 12:30 pm
    This will be on the Main Stage
    mootsuno likes this.
  10. testrider

testrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Glenn. Will catch you there!
  11. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
    great seeing you in long beach, SV! loved your talk & slide show. you're looking healthy, despite the sling. heal quickly, hermano!
  12. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Okay Glen, what's the story on the sling? :patch You weren't wearing one in Portland. :D
  13. AirCooledNut

AirCooledNut A fly on your lamp

Oddometer:
    USA version of England (Portland, Oregon)
    I started reading from the beginning of this thread but after so many missing pictures and other chatter I just started skipping ahead randomly and reading sections. It was nice to read about Hiba and that you actually had a riding companion, I was so happy for you. Then another random skipping of posts and I read what you posted to your Facebook page. My heart sank when I read the part, "To taste the music of the wind we might have to sacrifice a romance...", as I also noticed the lack of posts with her name in them.

TWTT was finished this past Thanksgiving. Admittedly I was a little disappointed with the trip north as it seemed rushed; I was looking forward to having the content of the end of the trip be as detailed as the first half of the trip. I was also quite mad at the last theft of your possessions, particularly the significance of the items lost! You acted more calmly than I would have as the contents were irreplaceable. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading OMDE now.

The book was a good way to bring the realities of other humanities outside the USA back to me. During my short time in the Navy I saw the extremes of wealth and poverty during our foreign port stays in the Mediterranean Sea and Persian Gulf. My wife, born and raised into her early teens in Trinidad, lived in a very humble dirt-floored house. She washed the family's clothes using a washboard and threw rocks at mangos to get them down (she still has a good arm and aim!). Living with relatives in a Hindu family and being the oldest female left her with little-to-no childhood. However, once her parents raised enough money to move to the USA she succeeded in school and eventually put herself through college with a Computer Science degree -- and she is one helluva engineer! My family was lower-middle class and I thought I had it rough but compared to her life and that of those you wrote about I was living la gran vida. Your book is a good reality check and I plan on having my kids read it when I think they are old enough. My wife asked, "When will that be?", and I answered, "¿Quién sabe?" :thumb
  14. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply to these comments but I just now saw them. The sling is due to torn rotator cuff surgery and I had both shoulders done three months apart. For awhile wiping my own ass was challenging.
  15. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    I'll be speaking at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Minneapolis tomorrow 1:00PM & 6:00PM and Sunday 12:00PM (2/6/2016 & 2/7/2016) and will also be manning a booth so please come by and introduce yourself.
    beachz and sandsman like this.
  16. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Is this the only one you have spoken at, I was at the Dallas show and I didn't catch the rider's name, he had really long hair and told a story about his charging system going bad and the only charger he could find was a huge monster of a charger. I know that wasn't you, he was on a HD chopper.
  17. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    That was my friend Doug Wothke, an incredibly accomplished world rider, mostly on older bikes just for the challenge. Be sure to catch his shows on a variety interesting motorcycle topics.

So far, I did the Portland, Long Beach, Miami and Minneapolis shows, with Chicago next week and Phoenix the following weekend. I hope to see you FFs there.
    ywr969 and sandsman like this.
  18. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    IMG_0694.jpg IMG_0695.jpg IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0697.jpg IMG_0698.jpg Here are just a few of the hundreds of cool bikes you'll see at any of the Progressive International Motorcycle Shows.
  19. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0700.jpg IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg

Attached Files:

20. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0706.jpg IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0708.jpg
    ywr969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.