Striking Viking bumming the world (On the road again)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by strikingviking, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock BMW Adventure topcase padded to safely store my still camera, laptop and video camera. One key, quick release and the box goes with me everywhere.
  2. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Buckling down my baby.
  3. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    She's ready to transport.
  4. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Palm Springs to Los Angeles.
  5. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    Los Angeles to Tokyo.
  6. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    One hundred shop hours later, it's time to hurry up and wait. After customs inspections and homeland security checks, it will still take another ten days to reach Japan.
  7. weave

weave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you give the 650 a test ride all loaded up?
  8. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    As a matter of fact I did but nowhere near the thousand miles I had hoped to. Before installing the Ohlins, I went down at the first corner I hit. Too much weight on the rear for a customary lean. Busted the handlebars, tore my new Savanna II and have been pissing blood since. The dealer installed the Ohlins for me and the bike was a zillion times more stable except that on the way back, a dangling fuel line from the Touratech tanks hit the chain and gas started leaking.

I topped off the tank and rode the last fifty miles spewing fuel but I made it back to the painter in time to spray my Striking Viking logo on. We fixed the fuel line, re-routed some other wires, triple checked everything and rode it a few miles. Time had run out, it had to be at the shipper yesterday morning. Roll the dice, the adventure has begun!
  9. Pengaleng

Pengaleng Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer:
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Travel safely Glen! It's the trip of a lifetime!!! :nod May all the AdventureRiding gods be looking over you. :slurp (Yes... it's a little known fact that ALL AdventureRiding Gods drink a lot!)
  11. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    I'm at the point of thinking that it will be a small mircacle if my bike arrives in Tokyo or in one piece or on time. The numbers are not in my favor here, but they seldom are anyway. Berklay Cargo Services is handling the air freighting. So far they return all my emails and phone calls within the hour and have an answer and solution to every snag. They seem to know what they are doing--we shall see.
  12. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    hey there!

i remember meeting you in the Sierra last July, and wish i was going off to be doing a tour like your right now,... but gotta' deal with a wedding first!

just a note of caution; don't be getting feeling too secure about that top case; aside from all the mounting (and unscheduled dis-mounting) problems that have been experienced with them, 2 of the people i know with them have had them broken into 3 times already.

good luck with everything!

cheers!
    e

13. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    The good news is that US Customs has cleared my bike for export but Korean Air kicked back the paperwork over a technical error on the Haz Mat form. The docs had to be overnighted back to NYC to have something corrected.

The bad news is the blood I've been pissing is caused by the passing of a rather jagged kidney stone. Had to crawl to a car to climb in and head for the emergency room. Rescheduled my flight until the 27th.

Signed over 4,000 books this week and we had a great going away party. A few of the boys off the board dropped by--thanks. All of my friends have given up mumbling, "Gee Glen, are you sure you know what you're doing?"
  14. Rogue 1

Rogue 1 Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer:
    Passing a stone??? oooOooUUUUUCCCcccHHH!

Better now than later though, eh?

Continued good vibes from the right coast!

GBY!
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    As a person who has had 3 bouts of kidney stones (so far.. my body just "makes 'em") of the jagged variety as well (calculi staghorn) - GET THEM ZAPPED and passed/cleared up before you leave.

The last thing you wanna do is be in BFE and have a stone become lodged and send you into renal colluck! (sp?). If you've had one piece break off and cut you inside - there's likely much more that could get snapped free at any time.

I did have a jam occur last time (renal colluck) and from when it started to when they knocked me out I begged for the doctor to kill me and end the suffering - and I was 100% serious. They had me on a lethal does of morphine and it wasn't killing the pain (lethal meaning if the pain suddenly went away, I'd have had a strong chance of cardiac arrest).

Not trying to make a mountain out of a stone ( :) ) but this is one of my concerns that I have to plan for if I ever get my ducks in a row for a similar journey.

Looking forward to getting my book! :)

Cheers!
    Edward
  16. strikingviking

Oddometer:
    I just came back for the doctor after two steady days of hollering, barfing and fever. Seems like I didn't have a kidney stone afterall. I have seven more on one side and one on the other. One of them is an inch and a half round.
    Pain like you would not fucking believe. Going in the morning for emergency surgery. A scope up old johnson with some kind of laser gun to explode the little buggers. I said okay, as long as I'm able to ride in a few days. Now rescheduled for this Sunday.

No chance he says cause they got to leave some plastic wire drain hose up in my kidney to let the landslide flow. He said it could stay in for up to six months but had to be removed by a competent surgeon.
    I'll be in Eastern Europe come October, How bout if I swing by Germany?
    That's great, they invented this procedure. Done deal. I feel blessed this happened here instead Mongolia.
    Wish me luck boys.
  17. L.A.

L.A. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers! :beer
  18. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    if i understand correctly you're going to be riding around asia and into europe with a plastic wire drain hose hanging out of your johnson!!!!
    please tell me i'm not understanding this correctly.

best wishes with your health and travels. sounds like you might need it. sheesh. gutsy for sure.
  19. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Sounds painful but it beats having an Appendectomy! Hang in there!
  20. imploded

imploded Corporate Whore

Oddometer:
    Kick ass Glen, good luck with your trip and good luck with your Johnson..

:freaky to you

Cheers,

-Andrew
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.