Stripped down Dyna does Sturgis.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Jul 31, 2021.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I do have my gear listed toward the end, but just for peace of mind it’s an Arai XD-3 leaving the peak at home. Just as important are my bifocal sunglasses :D
    CapnKrusty, Merlin44, Achtung and 2 others like this.
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving in the morning and wanted to do a little update on the plans. The bike is modern with an old-school look which is part of the fun, I'm embracing this by leaving the GPS behind and bringing paper maps. I still have my phone with mapping software though it will not be used for this trip. All of my gear save the helmet will be a throwback as well. The most modern being the waxed cotton Cousin Jeremy jacket, I have thought about leaving it behind but if it pours down on the trip it will be handy to have. gloves are either deer or elk skin with no Goretex liners or the like.

Looking through my stash of paper maps I have Kansas and Nebraska but no South Dakota. I know Oklahoma well enough to get by without one and I'm not in Arkansas long enough to need one. I figure there will be a welcome center where I can find a map of South Dakota. Dad said he use to use a grease pencil on the back of his windshield to which I replied what windshield? On the Klr I would use a marker on the fairing and just wipe it off that worked well enough until I got a GPS. I really think I can figure most of it out on the fly since I have worked on the routing long enough. I have been going to Sturgis consistently for about 13 years now and try to change up the route every year if possible. The quickest is just due North on 71 till I hit 90 and head west till I see the second exit for Sturgis.
    This Friday is Dad's 72nd birthday so that day will be spent paling around with him. So whatever he decides is what I will do. We have been riding together for as long as I can remember. I'm 47 now but I don't really remember my early years, I know I have been behind him on these big trips since I was ten. Then riding my own since I was 14, so we have a long history of biking together. My hope is my kid will pick up on spending time with dad for when I'm older and slower and like to spend a little more time looking than I use to.

A little more info on the Street Bob. It has over 50,000 miles on it and has never had the engine opened. It hasn't given me any issues since I've owned it but who knows what this trip may reveal. The tire choice is a little odd for the bike as well. I just spooned on a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. The reason being I got great mileage out of them on my S10 and they look cool on the bike. Don't knock the cool part though as that's why I would ride a bike like this that far. I've done my part on making sure everything is up to date and I expect all to go well. Honestly, I'm more worried about my broken body than I am about the bike.

Tomorrow's ride will tell a lot about the trip everything from comfort to my ability to handle interstate speeds without a fairing or windshield. (the tool roll does block a good bit of wind) I have about 40 miles of the interstate on my planed route to OKC. That is the only stretch of interstate I have planned other than riding out to Rapid City and back. All in all, I'm excited about the trip and look forward to sharing it with friends and acquaintances of the ADV M/C :ricky
  3. Guitar1327

Guitar1327 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck and have fun! I’ll just be here envying your 20 days of motorcycle riding.
    johnwesley and Webman like this.
  4. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    In! Have a great ride!
    johnwesley likes this.
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Made it to OKC shake down run and nothing moved luggage secure and ready. If you look at the pics you may notice I added my 3L camel back to the side. Always good to have water on hand.

the ride today was back roads up to Biscuit Hill where I caught I-40. I tied my leather jacket to the handle bars before blasting down the big road. It made a big difference and cruising at 80 was no issue other than the wind pressure on my helmet. I’m expecting everything to go smooth for the rest of the trip.
    Tonight I’m hanging with Steve a good friend of mine. He took me out to salt grass for some good protein before I head to Sturgis.

Just some points of interest:
    46 mpg for this leg
    56,200 total miles on the bike
    230 miles for this leg.

enjoy a few pics for tomorrow we ride

[​IMG]

my view for the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little break for a snack and some water, plus a little nature call

[​IMG]

Mcalester Oklahoma

[​IMG]

Leather jacket strapped down for a wind break

[​IMG]

Made it to Steve’s place for Food, fun, fellowship and a nice bed.
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure those two Indians are whispering about sharing the barn with a cowboy!
  7. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    no doubt, I told him not to blame me if his bike leaks a little on the floor like a scared puppy :lol3
  8. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pack light also.

[​IMG]

Used to camp out in between deadwood and sturgis in the free logging camp ground road turn off a few miles out of sturgis. It is probably long gone by now.
    ramon, TX Ryder, Webman and 1 other person like this.
  9. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    one note of warning: I did this on my small iPhone with out my readers. Hope you enjoy. Forgive the blunders and mistypes and general bad English. Though the English is the small phone and inability to see

Lots of thoughts on today let’s start with the GPS. Running with out a GPS has changed the way I ride. For starters I feel more free with out it, for example I’m not trying to keep in step with the eta nor am I trying to beat it. Next I have no idea where the next gas station is so I end up stopping more so I don’t run out. Normally I would check the GPS for gas stations and go as far as possible with only tenths left when I got fuel. This has set me free from both planning gas stops out and from a machine telling me when I should be some where. The other observation is one of adventure, I don’t know when my next turn is nor if I’m for sure going the right direction. This has put some awe back into riding. Now it’s not easier by any means, but it does return some of what I love about travel. So in a sentence there is a great feeling of freedom and adventure in not knowing all the details that modern GPS tells you.

Trouble may be ahead.
    Everything is going great. Bike is running good, I feel good and the temperature is just perfect. It’s a great day. I’m snaking through a small community when I notice my battery light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. My mind races to stator issues to regulator and then on to a shorted cell in the battery. Next I just throw it off to a false light. About the time I’m sure it’s nothing the light flashes again. At this point I’m about 15 miles from Dodge and hoping that I can make it in if it’s a real alarm. I run my thought process again and then settle back down when the bike just dies and then comes back to life. The thought hits me it could just be a loose cable, but I’m not normally that lucky. I fret about it till I get to the first red light in town and the bike is running rough not holding an idle. I pull into the first gas station and break out the tools. Fist I try the positive and it seems tight and then the negative wire and it was loose. Much to my surprise the positive took two turns to get tight and four turns on the negative. I was hoping this was the fix. All of this leads to this thought. There are some great dealerships out there and some that is surprising they manage to stay open. The dodge Harley leans to the second. I pulled in there to have them check if my bike was charging. They didn’t have time to check anything. I explained I was on the road heading to Sturgis and didn’t want to be stranded in the middle of no where. That made no difference so I asked if they sold a volt meter and I would buy it just to check if I was putting out 14v. They didn’t have one and couldn’t take the time to check for me. This is the only dealership I have visited that wouldn’t take 5 min to help me out. Matter of fact it was a Wyoming dealer that dropped what they were doing to help me with a triumph. That is what led me to thinking with that kind of a support I wouldn’t mind riding a Harley. The main thing is it never had an issue after tightening the cables. So that was a relief.

next observation, I have issues. No really I’m not right some times. I can see it’s raining up ahead and pour off to the right and to the left. I’m sure I can drive on and just get a little damp and it will be dry from here on out. Trouble is that’s kind of what happened. It stoped and I dried out only to have it happen over and over again. Here is where the real issue is. I pulled in to get fuel and two guys come up and ask about the bike. We talk for a bit and it goes to raining. I’m under the cover and once we are done talking I pull out in the rain. I could have put on my rain gear, but no it wouldn’t last long. My pant got so wet water started to run into my boots. Now that ain’t gonna work. So I pull over and put on my rain pants to keep the water out of my boots. Don’t want to spend tomorrow in wet boots. I could of avoided all this by just putting on the rain gear at the gas station in the dry. Why even bring it if I’m not going to wear it. I just have unresolved issues.

This rain takes my to Saint Francis, where I had planned to camp, but with all the rain and brilliance of not putting on gear I don’t stop. I’m wet and just don’t want to fool with setting up camp in the wet with wet clothes on. Good thing for me I know of a cheap good place to stay is Wray, Co. The Sandhiller is $60 and dry. Plans change and I go with it rolling in about 6:30pm. The lady that own it says she has me set up in room 31 which is by a ramp up to the side walk. She tells me to drive the bike up and park under the awning a s by my window. That’s super and one of the reasons I like this place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A real bike breakfast. Steve rides with me out as far as el Reno.

[​IMG]
    wide open roads

[​IMG]
    any one up for steak? Lots of cattle country on the ride today. I think there were mor cows than corn. No asked “where’s the beef?”

[​IMG] Kansas son, Watch out for Dorothy

[​IMG]
    at the cross roads in life take the road less traveled, in this case 34

[​IMG]
    just say no

[​IMG]
    this was pretty interesting

[​IMG]
    just had to..yea I crossed the White Woman. Should be a song about that

[​IMG]
    yes boy we have made it, dipped our toes in Colorado.
  10. mikehi

mikehi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great thread, am really enjoying a vicarious old school trip to Sturgis. Love your bike and your whole ethos. Please keep it coming ☺
    JeepDawg, staticPort and johnwesley like this.
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] I was road weary last night and didn’t add my favorite pic from yesterday.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey I dipped my toes in the Colorado, too
    3E9EE2FA-5C74-400C-A351-1FC3E32AA989.jpeg
  13. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now this right here is how it's done, johnwesley!
    Carry on, Sir; and keep pokin' out the tale on that iPhone 'cause we'uns are surely enjoying every word and pix!
    johnwesley, Webman, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  14. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the write up, have a great trip
    ZigzagguzzI likes this.
  15. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    A few more thoughts on the GPS. A couple of ultras pulled in where I was staying and they were packed and ready about 15-20minutes before I was. When I pull away they were still trying to program that GPS. Once I was in the mess of Sturgis I saw serval playing with radios, GPS, and or phones. It seemed as if the gadgets were stealing the laid back enjoyment of the ride. Don’t get me wrong I’m not throwing mine away let’s just say I’m Woke :D

Several times in this trip I stopped and realized I had been at this exact place with my Dad years ago. I guess even after he is gone those flash backs will still be with me as a reminder of good times together. That’s really a cool piece of spent life to have available.

I apologize for being so brain dead this evening. I’ll see if the right words come tomorrow. I’ll try to make up for it with some extra pics of the days ride.

[​IMG]
    Got a good start at 7am. No coffee at the motel so a chocolate milk would have to until other arrangements are made.

[​IMG]
    What life behind bars looks like. Notice the jacket is missing from the bars. I decided to wear the Schotts horsehide jacket until it got to hot. It really amazing to me how I hold the grips afecta the airflow through the jacket which in turns helps to cool you off or hold in some heat. This morning heat was the order. So wrist stay high on the bars.

[​IMG]

About 150 miles down the road it was coffee time at the Sinclair on the corner of 385 and 26. The ladies were super nice and talkative so I hung out for a while and shot the bull about nothing. They were a riot giving each other a hard time. That chorizo burrito was pretty good as well.

[​IMG]
    it was time to get back behind bars and head for the hills

[​IMG]
    sure is nice to see that South Dakota sign won’t be long before some black hills riding.

[​IMG]
    See I told ya, wasn’t long at all

[​IMG]
    remember the theme for this ride is throw back and I didn’t find a SD map. So I took this pic for you and never referred back to the photo, just tried to remember what roads I wanted. Now the funny thing is I could remember most all of my map and only stopped once in this try to look at the map and even then I was on the right road. Could be my mind depends on the GPS so I have a hard time remembering roads. Then when the device isn’t there my memory holds in to what is needed.

[​IMG]

I know for you it seems like I just ate but for me it had been hrs. So green chile burrito at Dakota Mart gas in Hot springs.

[​IMG]
    first Buffalo of the trip and you guessed it I’m in Custer state park.

[​IMG]
    first wild life siting in the wildlife loop. I know no one is surprised to see wild Asses in Sturgis. I thought I would as cool to see the 4 legged kind

[​IMG]
    All those black dots are Buffalo, just hold on a minute and I’ll get ya closer. Be carful though they are dangerous.

[​IMG]
    is that better? O come on I’m using a phone not a high dollar camera with zoom lens.

[​IMG]
    ok, are you happy now? I’ve risked my life for you.

[​IMG]
    notice the jacket is back, at 90 I had to swap over to my perforated leather. I feel much cooler glad you asked, so nice to be around people who care. Especially after I risked my life to get a better Buffalo picture for you.

[​IMG] needles hwy is up now. Great ride and some incredible rock formations

[​IMG]
    just to prove I’m still on my bike and haven’t jumped on a tour buss with a/c

[​IMG]
    several tunnels in the state park

[​IMG]
    this is probably my favorite

[​IMG]
    this is just out side the park

[​IMG]
    proof I made it.
  16. TX Ryder

TX Ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great trip report, thanks for posting.

I've been riding BMW's for almost 30 years and remember when GPS units first started being used in that group. They're much more sophisticated now and are a valuable tool. I've thought of getting one but, guess l'm a Luddite, I still use maps but I do use the GPS feature on my iPhone (another valuable riders tool).

Enjoy Sturgis!
    Webman likes this.
  17. Ken Lines

Ken Lines n00b

Oddometer:
    Starting the day's ride BEFORE coffee? Respect man.
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was Dad’s Birthday so I spent the day with him which accounts of strolling main and looking at bikes and a few of his favorite vendors. Then to deadwood for buffet at the Silverado. This year his birthday fell on Friday so the buffet was prime rib and crab legs. When I was a young man I remember when we would pull into Sturgis grandpa would holler at dad, “ Johnny, looks like another good turn out for your birthday”. I have carried on the tradition and reminded him all these people showed up for his birthday.

[​IMG] dad is in the blue shirt and his old time friend showed up to hangout in deadwood.

[​IMG]
    Some amazing horses pulling the Budweiser wagon.

[​IMG] Some nice bikes on display at the art studio

Jerod, A good friend of mine, rode out with me to deadwood while the old guys took a car. A storm blew in just as we were getting ready to head back to Sturgis. Neither of us had rain gear so we waited it out as long as we could stand it, about 20 min. Then decided it was better to be wet than just sit around waiting.

[​IMG]
    he’s on the flat white Indian Chieftain.

all in all a good day spent with Dad.

here’s a few random pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in!
  20. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep a big picnic blanket roll strapped to the handlebars of my FXST to block wind, more than anything. It does great until I hit 70 and then I get some bad head buffeting, but this is with an open faced helmet. Keep it under 70 and I'm good. Have not tried it with a full-faced helmet but I need to.
    Webman likes this.