Stripped down Dyna does Sturgis.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it was a great ride!
    Did you change forks, too?
    Would like to see a build on that one.
    Thanks for the RR.
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Webman and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Been a food day so far. Besides the normal fair a good friend of mine showed up today ( JJ ) and we got to hang out. We hit the chopper bike show at the Buffalo chip. Not what I was expecting to see there but some decent chops none the less. I’m really more into garage built, grunge style chops.

[​IMG]
    this was probably my favorite of the ones that were there.

[​IMG]
    this one is a little more grunge and had a cool vibe to it

[​IMG]
    this was a neat bike out on Main Street

had a chance to hit the demo bikes and took the Pan America out. It was a powerful bike and has a good feel to it. The stand out was heat and foot peg vibes start at about 76 and builds to be very noticeable by 80. I was surprised by the vibes not so much the heat. My s10 put out some heat but the pan am seems much worse.

JJ took the new sportster out and I ended up on a low rider s with the 131 in it. Tomorrow I want to spend some time with the new sportster. JJ thought the power was very good but for the drag race down the entrance the 131 got the win. Later JJ said he chickened out. So we’ll have to wait till tomorrow for the truth on the power differences. The little sportster did look like it runs really well.

just for reference here is JJ. Just know he was a college lineman so he is a large boy.
    [​IMG]
    reminds me of Donkey Kong on Mario cart.

the low rider is had a strong mid range for the epa tuned 131.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this flys in the face of many magazine articles but I really don’t like how the softail lowrider S handles. It feels odd may just be a large back tire and 19” skinny front. Just takes a bit to turn in and wants to go straight. I really prefer the handling of the heritage and the slim. Maybe cause the tires aren’t so extreme in the size differential.
  4. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez! How big is your friend?!?!? Most journalists must really be tiny, wasn’t expecting that shot after seeing the online reviews. That looks like a toy with him on it.
    trumpet and johnwesley like this.
  5. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a GROM with him onit!
  6. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Had a '11 FatBob, till the layoff last year. Really miss that Dyna. Built the suspension, and had it tuned. For a 96 incher, it was a runner. Wanted to make a FatGlide tourer out of it, but oh well. Thanks for all the pics and story.
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    JJ is about 6’5 300ish lbs. he was a great
    Offensive lineman till he blew his knee out. He kept pushing and ended up having to have it rebuilt. I’ll get a pic beside him. I’m 5’10 225

[​IMG]

It’s not a big bike
    Texas1600, JRowland, Webman and 3 others like this.
  9. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this information, it seems that I split the difference between you two. Very helpful!
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  10. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    So very cool that you and your dad can do this stuff together. Cherish every moment you can. I wish my Dad was still around so we could do stuff like this.
    Bagooba, fastring, Philthy64 and 3 others like this.
  11. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    johnwesley likes this.
  12. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    :DYesterday I did a post but don’t see it today. So let’s try again.

Yesterday was the fxr and Dyna show. It was the busiest I have seen it. So many people you could hardly see the bikes. So my pics aren’t a good as normal. Had some original fxrt and Fxrd bikes in the show and several new softails. Seems they have picked up where the performance Dyna scene left off. I didn’t get any pics but should be meeting up with a friend from Cali that owns one. His is a complete fxrt conversion including top box saddle bags, and fairing on a 2020 lowrider S.

[​IMG]
    Yes that’s dad top left. He has a 91 fxrt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    softail version with a mini fxrt fairing

[​IMG]
    these boy rode their bikes in. Way to go, the way it use to be.

[​IMG]
    Cool old bike taking a morning stroll

[​IMG]
    ole school chopper, wonder if he rode it in?

[​IMG]

For those who are concerned about my food this pics for you. Pork schnitzel

[​IMG]

Now let hope this one posts :D
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    All those FXRTs look great! I’d love a new Sport Glide with FXRT fairing and mini boards.
    1C18FA7B-069C-4656-969C-CCD55A31EFBD.jpeg
    Just don’t love the rims & single disc
    Achtung and johnwesley like this.
  14. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alright, the rims aren't my favorite, but the single disc on my Sport Glide works just fine. Every bike's a compromise in one way or the other but I'm glad I didn't let my dual-disc preference keep me off the S'Glide. Just sayin' . . .
    Oilhed likes this.
  15. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    Great report!
    johnwesley likes this.
  16. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    a little extra adventure

Yesterday morning I had a no start. Turns over but would start. I pulled fuses and checked. Sometimes fuses gets corroded and just need to be cleaned. Bike fired up after that. Went to Durango and the same not start happens. No codes displayed and it just flat wouldn’t start. Dad goes and gets a trailer takes a couple of hours. Once back I go to checking the bike out. It has spark, so trickled a little gas in the TB and it fired up. So must be fuel. Drained most of the gas out and took the inspection cover off. Turn on the bike and gas was spraying out the filter housing. Took me most of the day to find a filter. Finally found one at deadwood cycles. Jo didn’t have one neither did Harley. Once buttoned up it ran fine. I missed the filter on my one over of the bike in preparation to leave.

[​IMG]
  17. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    More details to expand the story.

after determining the issue I set out finding a filter and new O-ring. I was certain that JP cycles would have a common maintenance part but to my surprise they did not. They sent me to Cycle Solutions which ran me out griping that I would even ask. No wonder they were not busy. Most companies are not answering the phones during this week so I had to drive everywhere and personally ask. Many repair shops refused to sell parts unless they installed them. So I was coming up short wondering if I could get the parts to fix the bike. Seems everyone is edging and don’t like being asked questions like “do you have a fuel filter?” I decided to ride out to Sasha’s cycle even though they probably wouldn’t have anything. They’re an old school shop. I rode up to the shop and talked to the mechanic, an old school looking biker, he was super nice and helpful. He didn’t have anything but a used filer which I was up for at this point. Unfortunately it was for an older FI bike. They sent me to deadwood cycles who as you know had the part. Sasha and the crew are great people that just want to help people. Old school look and old school attitude. My kind of bikers. This shop was surrounded by bikes like I expected at the chopper show. I took some pics for you all hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    loved this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ps thanks for giving me something to do while listening to speeches at the Hall of fame meeting. :lol3
  18. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you take a test ride?
    Webman and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  19. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    it was unlike anything else I’ve ever test ridden
  20. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikes, burritos, and Waffle House. Sweet.