Stripped down Dyna does Sturgis.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Jul 31, 2021.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I head toward the house, choosing a different route this time and we’ll see how that goes. Getting packed up tonight in hopes of getting an early start.

here’s a few pictures I haven’t posted yet.

[​IMG]
    cute riding gear, but a sweet fxrp

[​IMG]
    Softail set up with JDs fxrt kit

[​IMG]
    Old wing cruiser style

[​IMG]
    Chopped up wing

[​IMG]
    Father son bikes hanging out.

In other news I may have acquired a new project that will end up being my oldest bike. It’s a cx500 interstate.
    Philthy64, B10Dave, Webman and 8 others like this.
  2. riddare

riddare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The old dual disc on fxr and dynas wont compete with the modern brakes even with single disc. Dual modern disc and calipers yea.
    Oilhed likes this.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I get up at 4:00 am and have to pee, so I just clean up and pack up. By 4:45 I hit the road. I had planned to take the back roads to Pierre, but it just didn’t feel right when I got up, so I left the house and decided to go south. Once I crossed under I-90 I changed my mind again and choose to jump on the interstate. I figured animals were out at this early hour and no one was on the roads yet so the interstate won out. I went past Rapid city and then turned south toward Hill city. The air was cool so I put on the cousin Jeremy jacket and rode with that till lunch. The temperature stayed in the 60’s till then, it was a nice surprise. The bike seemed to run good and I was enjoying the ride with the sunrise light. It makes everything look so much better and puts me in a good mood. The plan was to run 500-600 miles today and get a campsite somewhere along the way. As you can tell by this point I just do what I feel like at the moment no real plans and the only real direction is toward home.

[​IMG]

As the day rolled on so did the miles and by lunch, I was at the 500-mile mark no need to stop at this point even though I lost an hour on the way home. Once I got close to the Kansas border I called Steve to see if he was going to be around, looks like I could hit his place by 10 depending on how the evening rolls on. Sometime in the afternoon, my bike developed an odor I tossed it up to bugs and the like on the engine getting cooked. It was a very odd smell and repulsive, enough so I looked around every stop and could not figure it out. Wasn’t long and I crossed the Oklahoma border and let Steve know it was a go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the process of running from Kansas to Oklahoma, I was on unfamiliar roads and Passed a gas station that I shouldn’t have. I hadn’t run a hundred miles yet and it didn’t show low fuel surely there would be fuel before I run out. The wind had been constantly blowing since I left Sturgis but it was coming from different directions but never a tailwind. This was really affecting my gas mileage. As the miles rolled on I found myself running on reserve. That’s only about a gallon of fuel and I had passed what I should be able to run on a gallon. I slowed down to about 60mph to help conserve what little fuel I had. I finally came to a town that had a closed station but the pumps were on. What a relief to find fuel, I had the extra gallon but really didn’t want to take the time to unload and use it only to have to unload and refill it later. If I would have been running a GPS this little piece of adventure wouldn’t have happened because I would have known where the gas was. I put in basically 4.6 gallons on a 4.7 tank. That’s cutting it a little close even for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sunset was upon me as I rolled through the panhandle heading toward I-40. It had been a nice ride with no rain and cool temps for most of the day. I had to stop and get a picture at a route 66 painted building letting me know I was on the mother road. Once I stopped for the pic that smell was stronger than normal and when looking the bike over I saw some large bugs and butterflies caught between the primary and the transmission. That must be it cause that’s all I could find. After a couple of pics, I roll on toward the Interstate and a nice free bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice shot of my windshield

Once on the interstate, I rolled on with traffic knowing I wasn’t far from a break and some good food. As it got dark the lights on the vehicles keep the road lit up and it seemed as if darkness covered the center far ahead and lighter clouds to the side. I watched this strange view for about 30 minutes until I realized it was rain. I found out at the time I rode into the wall. I was soaked in an instant. There was nowhere to get off the road and I was already wet. So I rode on hoping it would stop and I could dry off before I got to my destination. It was in the rain I noticed my battery light was on again and I knew I had to tighten up those battery bolts when I got to Steve’s. I was right the rain let up and I rode in the dry until I wasn’t. It started to rain hard with big drops falling from the sky and pelting me all over. It was like I was getting shot by a pellet machine gun. Man, where is that fairing now? There was nothing to hide behind and I just grinned and bared the pain. Thankfully this didn’t last long and it was done by the time I hit 35 south. That stretch of road is always a mess with traffic. It was about 30 minutes before I was in a dry house and cleaning up. It was a long day and I covered just over 900 miles but the bike and I made it fine. Now I just have about 220 miles till I’m home and reunited with the family.
    Firenailer, Bors, Philthy64 and 20 others like this.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A nice shot of my windshield

What kind of tie-downs are you using for your windshield?
    Philthy64 likes this.
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    thats a prototype happy trails designed and never released.
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I’m anxious to get home with the family and spend time with the kids this afternoon. They start school Monday and I like hanging with them on that Sunday before. The plan is to hit the road at 7:45 and that would put me home at 12:15-30. I didn’t make it out of the house before Lynn got up and insisted I eat before I leave, which puts me 8am heading to the bike. I hit the starter and it just clicked. Well crap, I forgot to tighten the battery bolts before I went to sleep. I was soaked and just wanted a shower when I arrived at the house last night and never thought about the battery again. Upon taking the cover off I discovered the bolts were still tight. Now what? I just want to head to the house. So we throw the battery on a 20-amp charger and I wait till 9am to try and leave. When I went to start the bike we switched the charger to start and fired off the bike. Started right up and off I go to get gas and head to the house. I didn’t kill the bike to give the battery time to charge up. This tank should get me close to home before I have to fill up again. The bike runs fine and all seems well until I stop in Seminole, Ok. At the red light, I put both feet down and the right side had a burning sensation, looking down I saw smoke coming from the battery, Not good. I’m in the left lane and desperately need to get to the right and hit the shoulder. With a long line of cars behind I hit the gas to get in front of the vehicle to my right. I accelerate ahead and the bike dies for a second and then takes off again. As I dart to the right it dies and I coast to the shoulder. The battery is smoking and very hot, I’m blessed it didn’t blow. That would have made a mess of my leg. Looking over the wiring everything looks good. I unbolt the battery just in case it is a short. That strange smell I noticed yesterday is back and strong, I now know what a cooking battery smells like. I call the wife and let her know my plans are wrecked and I would be much later than I had planned. The Next call was to Steve since everything was closed on Sunday. Like a good brother, he loads up and heads my way with a trailer and plans to take me home to be with the kids. By the time he gets the trailer from out behind the boat and all the junk stacked on it off It takes an hour and a half to get to me. I walked across the four-lane to sit in the only shade I could find while keeping an eye on the bike. During that time a police vehicle pulls over where I was sitting, I hopped up and walked to the SUV expecting to have to explain everything that was going on and answer a dozen questions. The passenger door opened up and a female officer with full sleeve tats steps out. That was not what I was expecting and she wanted to know if I was ok cause my helmet was on the ground indicating I needed help. I explained what was going on and the reply was we just want to make sure you're safe, feel free to hang out as long as you need. What a great surprise, I’m normally asked for Id, the questioned about ownership of the bike and paperwork to prove it. I wasn’t in the mood for that so I was happy about the check on my safety that seemed like a real concern. Soon afterward Steve shows up and we load the bike. While loading it sprinkles started falling from the sky and shortly after we loaded up in the truck the rain started again. It rained off and on the rest of the way home. I’ll update this thread with what I find out about the real problem. My assumption is the stator is bad and took out the regulator which then put out too much voltage for the battery and smoked it.

[​IMG]

Just sitting here waiting on my ride

[​IMG]

The ride of shame

[​IMG]
    What my ride home looks like.
  7. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes 'Adventure' rides stray from the script but it's all part of 'the ride' . . .
    Sounds like a good ride, on balance, and a well-told tale; thank you, sir!
    ZigzagguzzI, Webman, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duh! I should have recognized the symptoms. Same thing happened with my new BMW G310GS a couple years back. Glad your o.k.
    Webman and johnwesley like this.
  9. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I don't have a GPS so I use my iPhone when needed but I have done a few trips by just heading in the general direction and using the maps on the wall at the Service Areas to pick the next road. Great trip you had.
  10. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alls well that ends well!
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Got the bike on the lift to check out what issues I have. It’s worse than I had thought not only did the stator and voltage regulator go out but it took the ecu and speed o meter out as well. All the fuses were blown except the 40 amp main fuse. When the stator grounded out it must have sent a voltage spike through the bike. Luckily I still have the stock computer and was able to verify those two items were the only ones that took a big hit.

In other news I took the super ten to Kansas over the week end and it was like taking a car with no a/c. I was amazed after getting use to the trip on the dyna jumping on the tenere was like cheating. It ate up the miles in comfort and made the trip a breeze. Though it did miss a certain adventure and connection with the road of days gone by.
    Firenailer, B10Dave, Vrode and 8 others like this.
  12. staticPort

Oddometer:
    Ain't it cool how different bikes with wildly divergent personalities compliment each other? Ya just gotta have more than one!
    johnwesley likes this.
  13. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Here’s some pics of the ugliness

[​IMG]

Yes those wire are suppose to be copper colored and have no discernible smell.

[​IMG]
    The thundermax ecm
    That capacitor is not suppose to be spilt and rounded up. That voltage spike that his the ground system much have been a doozy.

[​IMG]

Just waiting on parts now.
  14. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Sig line material right there!
    ricko1320 and johnwesley like this.
  15. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    To close out this trip here is where I ended up at with the repair. I replaced the stator with an American made stator and regulator. Install was easy and everything is running as it should. 14.1 volts across the rpm range. The primary drain was stripped when I bought the bike and now was the time to fit it. So it’s drilled and taped for 1/4 pipe thread with a plug. Holding tight and leak free. When the stator went it took the ecu and the speedo with it. I had a thunder max ecu running the bike so I went back to the stock ecu with piggy back unit. Not my favorite way to run but it works. One of the derby cover bolts was stripped and I have a leak there so I will heli coil it with red locktight and all should be well there. The speedo is still out, but that will be an easy fix. This winter it goes under the knife anyway so all the details will be worked out then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. staticPort

Oddometer:
    Good to hear it's running again; sure is a nice looking Dyna!
    johnwesley and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  17. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Now THAT is an adventure! Thanks for taking us along. :D
    johnwesley and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Love it! Not a Sportster but one has to make allowances.
  19. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of my scooters don't like getting wet either.
  20. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    i miss my old sportster sport for sure.
    Webman and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.