Stroking my Banshee for Kenny.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Wildebeest90210, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just been reading your retirement ride v 2.0. Excellent. I like a barn myself, this is my pic from the 'bikes and barns' picture thread.
    BTW congrats to your son for contributing to the A10 brrrrrrpppppppppp, definitely in my top 5 war planes.

IMG_0790.JPG
    GR0NK, juicy flawless, Nixels and 3 others like this.
  2. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sir is an awesome pic. Well done!
  3. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a Champion framed TZ350
    [​IMG]
    Beezer, dpforth, JCool and 2 others like this.
  4. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    What a great day. It stopped raining at last, I sidestepped a musical in London town, did loads of engine work and went out for a ride.
    I pulled in my new bushes, nervously as the cases are made of cream cheese. Got the new clutch needle roller and seal in too.

IMG_2075.JPG

I masked up and set up the spray booth.

IMG_2077.JPG

Many coats of Hycote case paint and then, this is directly related to me swerving 'An American in Paris' this afternoon, commissioned the drying facility.

IMG_2080.JPG
  5. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Happy with the finish, I kept the casting as is on the outside.

IMG_2084.JPG

The new studs at the front and on the outside need shortening. In fact the front measure up the same as the Ti studs I bought for the head, I'm getting Ti flanged nuts for these anyway, he says necking a cheeky Cote' du Rhone and ordering a Chinese takeaway :dukegirl

IMG_2085.JPG

This is my wish list from MBD, one of two LC obsessed individuals in the UK who cater to long term and new elsie nutters like me :y0!

http://www.mb-designs.co.uk/page12.php?view=productListPage&category=1
    And wishes do come true, on Monday/Tuesday I hope :rayof

CHARIOT PERFORMANCE ULTRA HIGH FLOW IMPELLER PRO KIT
    Wicked Motorsport Ignition Cover Black Edition for Yamaha RD350 YPVS / Banshee
    Wicked Motorsport YPVS / Banshee Oil Pump Cover
    MBD CLUTCH COVER CONVERSION FOR YAMAHA RD / BANSHEE.YAMAHA BANSHEE/RD HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH KIT
    MBD YAMAHA RD / BANSHEE / ATHENA / CUB INTAKE MANIFOLD-plain ally for 35mm carbs
    YAMAHA RD350 YPVS / BANSHEE BILLET PRESSURE PLATE
    Samco Hoses for RD250 / 350 LC- black

50 degree thermostat
    Billet thermostat housing
    Shift pro kit
  6. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Your horse looks stoned......:D
    villageidiot and more koolaid like this.
  7. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    So would you if you'd been trapped in a wall for 200 years then had a ladder wedged over your ear for RZ painting purpose, sounds more like a bad acid trip :norton
    lesman, waylongway, larryboy and 3 others like this.
  8. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine is an engineering leader for a company that plays nice with Yamaha. While in Japan on business he sent me some pics from their lobby / corporate museum. I'll leave just this one here:

Yamaha Museum 3.jpeg
    tigersteve, Benduro, Makr and 4 others like this.
  9. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    It's the waylong way, holes, and lots of 'em :clap
    The gear box on strip down is in excellent condition thank you Mr Larry boy.

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

I think I'll junk all this tacho drive and go electronic, it has to sit up on the right bar (just like Kenny's) so cable drive might be tricky anyway and rob 0.03 HP :nah

IMG_2095.JPG

And another premature mock up :rayof I think you can get pills for this compulsion on the internet....

IMG_2099.JPG
    nzrian, nuggets, larryboy and 3 others like this.
  10. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome build!! Makes me want to start to execute my ideas for one... But I have a Triumph and a BSA and a Mustang ahead of it... And I have no parts... So I'll live vicariously through yours
  11. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    More than welcome, as long as vicarious means regular monthly payments that's just fine. I still have to work out how to crowd fund the wheels let alone the rest :hmmmmm
  12. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone that knows next to zip about 2 strokes, can you explain this? Is there a function behind the holes?
  13. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he is chain drilling in preparation to remove that part of the casting. No correlation to this being a 2 stroke engine, other than that's where the injection pump and maybe the tach drive live.
    JCool likes this.
  14. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Correct. I've lost access to my machine shop due to 'health an safety' and a drive as far as I can see it to completely de-skill the work force. So I have to do everything by hand, hence the chain drilling to remove the casting round the water pump and oil pump. I have a really neat blank for the oil pump (which is out as I'll use pre-mix fuel) drive and I have an ally impeller with a trick CNC cover for the water pump coming. So I'll lose the casting and plastic cover and let them be seen, I think it'll look good?:hmmmmm
  15. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer to hear about machine shop access being gone.
    But as soft as you say the aluminum appears to be on the cases, maybe the cover is as soft.
    If so, I've used my drill press as a mill when I had to "machine" the mounting lugs on the front calipers on the K100 built.

And yes, I think it'll look cool.
    villageidiot likes this.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    A delivery from mad biker and some gearbox parts today.
    Including the new water pump.
    So the clutch cover needs chain drilling as well. I've ordered a power file, a tool I think I should have and will need now for finishing of the clutch case.

IMG_2112.JPG

And here is the new pump.

IMG_2114.JPG

I built the gear box back in, it got was new thrust washers, circlips and bearings, gears are in excellent condition.

IMG_2107.JPG

Best in todays package is the two piece manifold and rubbers for the 35mm carbs. I'll take some more pics close up, it's very nicely machined. For now though I just had to put it together and circle it with a beer in hand.

IMG_2117.JPG
  17. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may have missed something. You mention drilling the clutch cover. You going dry clutch?
  18. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I have done some very light milling with a drill press. I even used a 1/2" drill bit ground flat on the tip as an end mill.
    Very light cuts. Very firmly clamped.
  19. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Perspex cover kit also came in the post, it's a very common mod on these motors, the casting is almost made for it. I'll post a pic when I do it, all hooligan RD/Z's have them. You can mod and use a TZ dry clutch but it's a lot of work for little advantage so I decided against it.

IMG_2126.JPG

This also in today, billet pressure plate with Ti screws. So you'll see this lock wired set up through the perspex window, probably at least 5 goes before I'm happy with the lock wire.

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG
  20. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK got it. But you do understand the dry clutch has nothing at all to do with advantage. It's all about the sound. Man I miss my old Monster.
    Wildebeest90210 likes this.