Struck by a car- a scenario I hadn't thought of

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by brownricer, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    My Mazda CX-5 has proximity sensors that detect movement from the rear and alerts you which is actually extremely good for situational awareness, I kinda would like a system that did the same on bikes, just a rear facing sensor that could detect incoming objects when stopped for situations like this and alert you. It’s really tempting to treat intersections as a temporary break zone but it seems to be one of the most risky places on a bike due to these situations. Yet another reason lane splitting should be legal so we can at least park between cars and have way less risk of this happening.
    Maggot12, Olythom and lnewqban like this.
  2. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always stop in the left side of the lane, in direct line of sight with the driver (in the US). I have strobing rear brake lights and plasma bars. They strobe in a pattern when i have the brakes on. I always have the brake on when stopped.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you were not seriously hurt.
    All good advice above...most of which I try to follow.
    But sometimes as the local NM bumper sticker says "Caca Pasa"; Translation (Sh_t happens).
    Maggot12 likes this.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I think as you get older your survival instinct becomes much stronger.
    If I’m first in line I stay back about half a car length from the stop line and stay to the side of the lane.
    Gives me protection from cross traffic if I get bumped ahead and a car behind may be able to squeeze around me if he gets pushed ahead.

I only ride alone or occasionally with my younger brother (he’s 66 now) who has some bad habits, but he lives in a city and I live in a small town so that may be why he takes more risks.
    I never end up beside him when stopped in traffic cause in my opinion he is way to close to vehicle in front.
    Maybe he thinks his intimidating loud exhaust Harley gives him protection but I know my Honda 500X doesn’t.:rofl

The point I want to make to OP is that you may have inadvertently contributed to your situation?
    There are numerous videos online where someone on a bike or in a cage, will notice someone (usually beside them) who is glancing down at their phone and will deke them out by hitting their throttle (may even lurch vehicle) and the inattentive driver hits it and pulls ahead BEFORE they attain situational awareness. Funny as long as nothing happens.
    This may have happened when you blipped throttle?
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I rear ended a car on my Vstrom in a similar situation. Myself and the vehicle ahead were at an interection where we were on a 45 degree angle > to the street we were going on, so had to basically look behind you. He revved the vehicle, I looked back over my left to see if I was clear, it was, and I accellerated. As soon as I turned my head forward the car was still there. I thought he had gone. Little scuff mark on the car, but the bike went high enough that it chipped the front fender and I had bruises on my forearms where I hit the mirrors.

He revved the vehicle but didn't move, I travelled maybe 8ft. Pulled the clutch on impact and I managed to keep the bike upright when it came down.

Doesn't take much time to make a situation crappy.

6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN

Have you ever almost broken your brake pedal off (while in the cage) when you sitting at a light, deep in thought cause you know it’s at least 45 more seconds for light to change and your car starts rolling ahead?
    Push harder and it won’t stop! Dang—STOP car....
    Then your awareness kicks in and you realize it’s actually the car by your elbow rolling backwards. You ain’t even moving.
    Don’t even have to be embarrassed cause usually no one realizes what happened :imaposer

I’ve been driving and riding off & on since bout 1960 so I’ve had lotsa time to do every stupid thing
    neanderthal and Maggot12 like this.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Yup. Just about Fred Flintstoned the car before I realised it was the vehicle next to me. :lol3:dunno
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Glad you were not hurt worse.
    I am not one to excuse most crashes but what happened to you is one I will.
    Yes, leave some space, leave an out, but if you are first in line and the person behind decides to ram you, there is little that can be done.

Not sure I would have took any money if it would not cost anything to fix the bike...she learned her lesson and likely will pay attention for at least a week.....

I mostly avoid complex traffic situations, rush hour, and bad roads, because I can.