Stuck under AT

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by VikingMoto, Apr 4, 2020.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    This argument reminds me of the Beemer Bob story from years ago; however Bob was injured although not badly. He fell and hurt his knee, and therefore was unable to right his bike. He pushed his Spot tracker SOS button. But a miscommunication between the local sheriff and the local tribal police, meant no one went looking for him. SPOT guarantees they will notify the local authorities, but not that the authorities will do anything about it. His wife engaged authorities and local inmates the next day. The search began. He spent the night in the geographic center of nowhere (pretty anywhere in NM) and was totally pissed he did not get rescued that day. The inmates on line tore him a new one for riding alone, on a big bike in remote areas, ill prepared for the consequences.
    As for infamy, now there is a stretch of the NMBDR affectionately know as Beemer Bob Flats.:muutt

A lot of things can contribute what someone will declare an personal emergency. I wasn't there so I wont judge. I agree we should conserve emergency resources for real emergencies. But some of these "rescues" give the first responders some good laughs, after the fact... and they need that.

My daughter is a paramedic and some of her stories are hilarious, some are horrendous.
    250senuf, Ginger Beard and 51% like this.
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Riding solo ... that is a personal risk thing ...he did nothing wrong there ...he rode solo with satellite backup ...that is responsible riding ...your wrong to give the OP griefs for that !

"potential life threatening" is very different than actual life threatening....heck just riding a motorcycle is a potential life threatening activity ! !

He was NOT INJURED ! ! Weather was NOT a issue, He WAS DRESSED to withstand a nightly drop in temp ...there was NOTHING life threatening about his situation when hit 911 !

Main problem was he panic ... He did not even attempt to use non emergency services

Non emergency services could have delt with this issue in a timely fashion ...there WAS NO NEED for emergency services. Until that effort failed.

And yeah, I am tough guy in the Backcountry ! !

I am a Colorado whitewater guide ... I have seen and helped my share of people in trouble in the Backcountry ... like any experienced Backcountry, guide.

This guy abused emergency services ...shame you can't see that.

Scott
  3. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Husky360C

Oddometer:

I'm getting ready to jump on my 690 and ride for a couple of hours, have some fun, forget about the troubles of the world, and so forth.

If I think I need to call EMS for help, I'll be sure to let you know beforehand, so you can tell me whether I should do it or not :D
    Barry, 250senuf and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    In current COVID situation with STRONG advice if not mandate to stay the fuck at home, he should not have been out there. As he was and found himself in a situation, I don't have a problem with him calling for help.
  6. Husky360C

Oddometer:

I suggest you and everyone else who has realized their bike is heavy enough that it could become a problem, do whatever it takes to get a test ride on a 2019 / 2020 KTM 690 Enduro. The 690 with the "new" engine is a game-changer. It IS the unicorn people keep wishing existed, and those who own one know this is true.

The bike will happily cruise at any highway speed you feel like doing, to 90mph at least, and it has brakes and suspension that are without peer in the single-cylinder dual sport world. I do not work for KTM or have any relationship with KTM, and I paid full price for the 690 I bought. I've been riding for 50+ years, and the new 690 is the most versatile bike I have ever owned or ridden. It might be the most fun too - the thing simply hauls ass, in a way that words cannot adequately describe. 74 horsepower and 330 pounds gives it a better power : weight ratio than a whole lot of bikes.
  7. Husky360C

Oddometer:

If a SPOT might not bring help when you really need help, why even spend the money for the unit and the subscription fees ?

An EPIRB would be a better choice.
  8. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husky, no argument.
    An EPIRB is a one function device.
    I had a SPOT, but they became more interested in billing than service.
    Now I use an Inreach, and love it. The one time I called for a rescue, it was non-SOS. I texted the wife with the Garmin, (no cell service) to drive the truck 2 hours and pick me and my broke bike up off the mountain. She did so without any complaints. I am a lucky man. I also can send her a periodic check in so she won't worry (or as I joke she can find the body for life insurance purposes). I pay for the service of communication where cell phone don't cover. Where I ride cell service is usually non existent. You can also use it to text other Inreach devices if you are riding in a group.
    No, I don' work for Garmin.
  9. Husky360C

Oddometer:

Thanks for the details on the Inreach !

It sounds like a much better option than the SPOT, and it obviously does things a basic EPIRB cannot do.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  10. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride alone about 90% of the time. Sometimes where no one will pass by. I carry a SPOT, a first aid kit, a gun, a cell phone, some water, and a GPS. So fairly well prepared. I assure you, regardless of whether or not I'm injured, I am not going to spend the night trapped under my bike. If I have to call emergency services to keep that from happening, so be it.
    Advntr, William Wolfen, Barry and 3 others like this.
  11. Husky360C

Oddometer:

Right on.

The need for survival outweighs virtually all other considerations, including what anyone else thinks about what you did to stay alive. The preceding idea was the core lesson in the article about the Baltic ferry sinking, which I posted earlier in this thread.
  12. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously shrederscott (or whomever he is) has never been in a situation like that. He can lecture all he wants about the level of priority before you call for help, but he is full of bullshit with his head so far up his ass he's looking through his belly button... Inreach and the other contract rescue resources are not public safety services. They are a for-profit insurance business subject to the risks in the hazards they chose to cover. If you are paying their premiums you can and should call for help whenever you feel its needed. They are a business and that is what they signed up for. They have many contract resources. You are not going to clog up anything. shrederscott?... What a moron! Who would ever want to ride with that guy?
    crowe2815, Arflatfoot and phughes like this.
  13. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Ahh, one of my favorites..............

Walter Sobchak:
    Am I wrong?

The Dude:
    No you're not wrong.

Walter Sobchak:
    Am I wrong?

The Dude:
    You're not wrong Walter. You're just an asshole.

Walter Sobchak:
    All right then.
    crowe2815 likes this.
  14. Husky360C

Oddometer:
    I used to captain sailboats for deliveries, and when I realized I had a person with "shredder" characteristics on board, they were OFF the boat at the first available opportunity.

Why ? Because people with hangups about being macho or "Not showing signs of weakness" can get everyone else on the boat killed, due to their judgement being clouded by their need to "prove" something. The total loss of the El Faro is a good example of where such a mindset can end up. If I had been on that ship, I would have done whatever was necessary to remove the captain from command, before he got us all killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Faro
    lifeofliberty likes this.
  15. hbmarcus

hbmarcus Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shredder... :hmmmmmI'm sure you have a reason for this ass backwards attitude. No need to share!
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some thumpers are better on the road than some multicylinder bikes. DR650s, TR650s, F/G650s, WR250Rs, all tend to be pretty smooth, or to have pleasing vibes vs bothersome vibes. My KZ440 had unpleasant vibes in the bars and pegs at some slab speeds, and my Radian had worse wind management than my DR650s above 60MPH.
  17. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can she keep a straight face while rubbing cream on butts?
  18. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you just get out of middle school and learn some new vulagr words you had to try out ?

You clearly have NO IDEA what emergency services are like in rural MTN communities.

Emergency Services are NOT for profit ! !

They are very limited

He miss-used emergency services.

He was not in a life threatening situation he had other options like call a tow truck that he did not even attempt to use.

Scott
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    You keep repeating this. How long do you think he would need top be stuck before it WAS considered life threatening? Overnight? Two days? A week? Should he have just nutted up and chewed his own leg off?

I'm sure the rescue services involved KNOW what resources they have and after exchanging texts with the OP, responded as THEY saw fit. I'm also sure they would have rather helped a (still healthy) guy lift a bike off his leg than pick up a dehydrated, hyperthermic casualty with circulatory issues in his foot the following day.

I was involved with cave/cliff rescue for a time. We were 100% volunteers and largely self-funding. Most rescues should have been unnecessary in the sense that the rescuees were frequently unprepared, ill-equipped or under-experienced and should not have been underground in the first place or under the weather conditions, etc. However, I can assure you we would far rather help a scared, chilled or tired person get themselves out of a cave than have to haul out a more seriously incapacitated one who hadn't sent for help right away - or worse! Even when you may have wanted to curse someone for getting themselves in a "spot" when you were settling down to Sunday lunch, etc., the easy rescues were good opportunities to exercise the equipment and procedures for the serious stuff.
    ZoomerP and Barry like this.
  20. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear this had a happy ending. Heard a story a while back about a rider on a small bike falling in a water crossing and drowning because he got a foot caught under his bike. Sh!t happens and if you gotta make that call, do it.