Stud Your Tires Tech Session

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in getting your tires studded for winter.......lets get a tech session set up. Won't be long before the white stuff hits the valley.

I can open the shop any Sunday in October. Can prolly do Saturdays in Nov.:dunno Need to work things (date) around 5 as he has the stud gun.:D

How many are interested????:ear
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. But may have to buy some knobs for the XT 5-Fidy first. Not sure if the front has enough meat, the rear might.
    It has Bridgestone Trailwings. Semi-knobs. Front knob is 1/8" deep, & rear is 3/8".
    I think you said the drill for the studs was 5/16" depth.
    Without knowing how thick the carcass is, I may be pushing it, 'specially on the front.
    So, two questions:
    Is that enough 'knob'?
    Should the tires be mounted on the wheels first?
    Thanks. :thumb
    [​IMG]
  3. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Oi! I need to order me a new rear tire too!

I don't need huge notice. My caution is that it would be nice to get some practice time in on the studded tires before it snows.
  4. Tom S

Oddometer:
    5, can you answer my questions? :ear
  5. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    I don't think trailwings are quite as knobby as I'd like. Any kind of snow is going to be a problem, but packed snow and ice should be doable on deathwings.

I've studded both on and off the rim. Biggest difference is mounting the newly studded tires, it gets a bit prickly handling the tires. We can always experiement...on tire on, one tire off! :deal
  6. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree & I think it needs real knobs anyway.
    Thanks dude!
    [​IMG]
  7. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    When you say "prickly", what are you studdin em with? I did hex head sheet metal screws on an old mx bike yrs ago and had a great time out on the lakes and such. Geared the bike taller and could still break the rear end loose, do big slides, and throw monster roosts! Fun!

Still tryin to decide how much I think I'm really gonna wanna ride this winter. Winter's usually when I get BACK into my funfilled human powered recreational activities. :D MH
  8. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Car studs
  9. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom/5 order up your tires and let us know when they will be in. Jack and Photog were talking about studding up a set too. Anyone else wanna do some winter riding??:huh

We are talking about putting 13MM car tire studs in motorcycle tires. I bought a box of 1,000.......think 5 has one too. The studs are cheap.......about 5 or 6 cents each.

From what I have been reading it is best to stud new tires. Here is some info on it...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dyscofool/mods/studs.html
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    As soon as my Gripster (for the front of the Wing) gets in I'll be ready to stud it. I've already drilled the two TKC80's that are going on the Zook and a local shop is going to stick some studs in them. We're going to have snow here any day and the bike needs to be ready for it. The rider won't be. :eek1
    While the rear TKC80 has enough meat for a #12 or #13 stud, the front and the Gripster are a bit shallow, so I'm having #11's put in them. Wish I could find some lightweight studs in Los Anchorage, but no luck so far. Called Six Robblees in Washington (where all they can use are the lightweight ones) but their shortest was a #12. Thinking that the lightweight ones are less likely to get flung out by centrifugal force. :dunno
  11. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short ones/long ones/light ones/regular ones.:scratch I dunno but would guess properly installing them would be a factor.:huh

I have never heard of a big problem with studs falling out of car/truck tires.........not sure why it is a problem on motorcycle tires.:dunno

Granted I only put about 800 miles on my studded tires last winter, but I didn't loose any studs.:deal Guess we will see how they hold up this year.:ricky

While quite a few folks have run studded tires "around town", I don't think very many have traveled long distances in the winter......on 2 wheels anyway.
    Gonna be interesting figuring this stuff out.:mully
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah... we could have a whole new pile of submissions for "Face Plant". :huh
  13. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3
  14. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be sure and get good pics.:deal:rofl
  15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has everyone got their tires in?????:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear

If so we can do it this Sunday 15th. If not we can do it the following Sunday 22nd.

I talked to Photog and he can do it either time.

Tom/Jack/5 talk to me on the dates.:scratch:scratch:ear:ear:ear:ear

As usual anyone is invited to stop by and we will have a BBQ. Got almost a full pack of Brats from last time in the freezer. We can do something :viking:annieon the grill.:patch
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hey... how'd I miss this? I need to stud up the TransAlp this year and have no clue how to do it. This is right up my alley... but now I need tires. I'll see what Barb's got.

We're talking big knobs here, eh? Like TKC's or so? The tires I need are the typical 90/90-21 and a 130/80-17.

TKC's or is there a better one?
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I've got a Coats 220 tire machine. Should I bring it out?
  18. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Its more fun watching them on the other mochine:lol3
  19. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  20. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

I got a harbor freight tire changer. I don't know what your Coats 220 is.:dunno

If it's easier to change a tire on than the harbor freight changer and people wanna change some tires......yeah!!!!:wink: We can also expand the studding thing to a tire changing deal too if others are interested.:evil

I "think" you can stud TKC's. 5 is the resident expert on studding tires so I will let him answer.