1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Stud Your Tires Tech Session

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may not be a cure for your cluelessness :lol3 , but this is what my tires look like after having an application of drill 'n stud:
    [​IMG]

If yer plannin' on ice racing on the nearby lakes :ricky, this ain't gonna get it though. :fall
  2. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a "special bit" I bought that is the right size and diameter with a stop on it. I have it in a die grinder that drills/burns the holes clean. With the stop you can't screw up and go all the way through. I would suggest you (and everyone else) drill your tires at the tech session. I have some old tires you can practice on.

The studs come in a box of 1,000 and cost somewhere between $50/$60 a box. 5 and I each have a nearly full box (as in close to 2,000 studs). You can get your studs from us.....they cost like a nickel a piece. Just pay for the studs you use.

The studs look look a 22 shell casing and go in an air operated gun with jaws. The jaws expand the hole and insert the stud.

All you need to bring is your tires and something to eat/drink (think grill). We will provide the rest.:evil

Click the link below. It will explain the whole process.....complete with pics.:D

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dyscofool/mods/studs.html
  3. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about paying me for the studs I bring, just my way of saying "thanks" for all the great rides. :thumb

I figure I need to stud up just a couple more tires and then the stud gun has payed for itself, I should be showing a "profit" on paper (maybe general priciple?) after next sunday. I might even get another box of studs, I'm considering going a bit longer this time-but i best get that Trackmaster on order right quick.
  4. KL5A

Oddometer:
    +1 on this. Too shallow and the stud pops out too easily, too deep and it doens't have the full grip.
    BTW, even without the stop I've never drilled all the way through a tire. The tread area of a tire is pretty tough and the casing is even tougher.
  5. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey 5,

How portable is your compressor? I am thinking if you bring your drill bit, stud gun, air hose and compressor we can have 2 setups. I am gonna try and borrow the neighbors stud gun, my die grinder is air operated.....I only have 2 compressors and hoses.

My pickup is available to haul it if needed. If your compressor is a pain to move, I can prolly borrow one from one of the neighbors.
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can bring an elect die grinder
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, I had looked at that link before, but your explaination was the best yet.
    Thanks WD.
    [​IMG]
  8. KL5A

Oddometer:
    My compressor isn't very portable at all-4HP 13 gallon tank, and heavyish. I'm thinking that if you have 2 of them, maybe we can split the air between the die grinder, stud gun or guns, and inflating stations if needed.
  9. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it can handle 1/4" bring it.
  10. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can work something out......not a problem.:deal
  11. KL5A

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping that everybodies expectations are all on the same page here, but just in case.....

What we're intending is to stud tires up for wintertime street riding. The end result should be tires that are at home on winter streets-usable on pavement, black ice, frost, packed snow, new snow, etc. Now if a guy wants to go strictly ice racing, that's actually easier-buy the cat cutter hex head screws and fill a tire. That will give you excellent ice traction, but will be useless on the street.

We're going to be doing this-

[​IMG]

Not this-

[​IMG]

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they had to carry their bikes in trucks to the lake for this-

[​IMG]

And I just got on the Pegaso and rode to see what they were doing.

[​IMG]

I had no issues riding on the lake (I think the Arctic Attack guys were amused) but I didn't do any wheelstands either. Compromises are being made here.

BBBob-are you in? :deal

Legion would have to be the bravest guy to attempt this-that first downhill corner past his house :eek1 looks to be very exciting, in fact, it might be somewhat "interesting" even with the full screw treatment. :huh
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I've got a very portable compressor (little costco special). I'll toss it in the back of the truck.
  13. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    COOL!!:clapBring your hose too.:evil Get with 5 and see if you have the same brand "quick release" couplers. If not just bring one and we can change it on his gun. Mine here are all Campbell Hausfeld from Wal Mart and I have extra. I have to change the quick release fitting on the neighbors gun when I use it.:D

14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Same-o. My compressor's a 2 gallon 135psi C/H.
  15. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Mine too, we should be good. :thumb
  16. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neighbor dropped off his gun today so we will have 2 set-ups. Hopefully he can stop by our session......real nice guy!! He did a bunch a motocross type stuff and snow riding with studded tires years ago. Has some pretty interesting stories.:deal

See everyone Sunday.:clap
  17. GlacierCraft

GlacierCraft Gruven Again

Oddometer:
    Do you guys still need my unused pain meds for this project?
  18. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    drop them off Thay won't go to waste.:1drink
  19. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Frier you stay away from the drugs or the Abby will never be finished. You'll be out doing something stupid like riding instead of working.

The project is lookin' good.
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

AKR... did you see my request on D2D07 Information re: housing contact numbers in Dawson?
    Several would-be out of towners/attendees are looking for answers.
    Can you help us out here????? Fite