Stud Your Tires Tech Session

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your profile indicates you are a denizen of Vancouver and I'll assume that's the north of the border version in charming B.C.
    If you don't mind a quick little ride south of the border, Six Robblees in neighboring Washington state carries studs in various lengths, and probably handles the stud guns as well. No idea what they get in US dinero, and even less what one would cost in Canadian pesos, but that information is but a phone call away (after you do a web search for a Six Robblees phone number).
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Saturday I seem to have a previous engagement, so HOH isn't likely to fit in bikewise. Maybe cagewise....otherwise I'd be there.
  3. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Box of 1,000 studs is around $50/60, drill bit $30, stud gun $400......at least those are the prices at Wasilla 6 Robbers.:1drink

I agree with 5......look for a stud gun on ebay.
  4. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Well I gotta tell you, I don't really understand women, so I might have installed the quote with the polarity wrong. Its not like there's a good manual on how to understand women. Or if there is, you've got to stop holding out and show me a copy. I mean I've been married to one for almost 20 years, but she still manages to baffle me every day. Darn interesting though.

Thanks KL5A and Alcan for the source on the stud gun and studs. That's cold beer worthy.

Rob

[​IMG]
  5. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Watch those bridges...saw several people do 360's when they hit solid water on the overpasses tonight. :eek1 Must be all in a days commute as they kept on going like nothing happened.:huh
    Tourtech sells chains for bikes. :deal Anyone try them?

When are they going to develop some of those drop down, spining chains for bikes? (like school busses wear) Would make for some interesting, close quarter passing and, cages would stay clear. There's a winter project for those guys with shops.
  6. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Thx for the heads up Paul...coming home tonight the road looked pretty good...Yo Wheeldog...you get your parts in the mail today? If so, you wanna roll into HOH around 1 pm tomorrow? If you did not get them then I will head in regardless. But, letz try and coordinate with 5 for a Sunday ride....be great if Legion wanted to join the fun also.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Would love to but the TTD list is getting mighty thick. Don't have the tars mounted yet either so that just got short listed too.
  8. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My stuff came yesterday......but I had to work......gotta work today too.:cry If I get out of work at a reasonable time......I will mount up the studs tonight and be ready for Sunday. :clap

This season just won't quit.:bluduh
  9. KL5A

Oddometer:
    My Sunday afternoon has been kidnapped, the Kitten requires her office stuff to be moved into her own office (she's moving up in the world :deal ) and I don't know how long it's going to take. Once again, don't be afraid to start the Sunday ride without me. I dunno how long Saturdays festivities will take, hafta play it by ear.
  10. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to roll outa here at noon versus 1pm...looks like a stellar day...might try and knock out a run to Portage also.

Fighter and Beezer: I made copies of Beezers book and can return same and get Fighter his copy. Thus, will be at HOH from about 1-2pm or so (I might not last an hour if there are no bikini clad babes with umbrellas to protect me from the sun).

Look for the only Strom in the parking lot. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  11. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    I cannot find the bike snow chains ... link please?
  12. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  13. Winterbiker

Winterbiker Sidecarist

Oddometer:
    These are Wunderlich chains, made by an Austrian manufacturer. They work great.

www.wunderlich.de

Winterbiker
  14. TommyTheKid

TommyTheKid Lack of Common Sense

Oddometer:
    Man, we need a "tech session" down here in Colorado. I have a bunch of #8 1/2" sheet metal screws (I got the non-self tapping version) that I had intended to use, but after reading this thread, i want studs! I was glad to see that the TKC-80 took studs, as thats the tires I ended up with here too on my WEE.

[​IMG]
    ~tommy
  15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have been having pretty good luck with them..........

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181147
  16. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    So, lads, are TKC-80's the tire of choice for this?

I haven't bought my "to stud" tires yet.

What's the consensus?
  17. KL5A

Oddometer:
    I still think that the Kenda Trackmasters seem to work better than the TKC's, the Trackmaster knobs are deeper. OTOH, the TKC's seem to have better pavement manners than the sometimes spooky Trackmasters.
  18. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Here is AKPhotog's Strom with the studded TKC's, Christmas Day at Wasilla Lake. The TKC's didn't have much bite in the loosely packed snow over ice, but the Trackmasters weren't hugely better. There are limits!

[​IMG]
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Karoos on my KLR. AKDuck has Kendas??? on his.......think Beezer has some cheap China brand on his. Those guys get better traction than me as their tires air down better. The Karoos are too stiff. It doesn't do much good to air em down.:deal
  20. 2wheelfreak

2wheelfreak stew'd,screw'd,tattoo'd

Oddometer:
    You guys seem to have the winter riding bit all figured out, and look like your having damn good time too!:D Maybe someone here can offer some insight...I got and Aprilia SXV sumo, that wears sportbike tires (120 up front, a big 180 on the rear) and absolutely must take it out racing around the ice, and maybe get in some trails...but my dunlop 208s street/track tires need some help before I can go play on the ice.:cry Not rerally interested in getting new tires, as I got a bunch of wasted left overs from the summer track sessions. I just cant decide which is better screws? (progolds or kold kutters) or studs? Screws seem to be the easiest/fastest way to get moving, but will they work in street tires? Any ideas, anyone?
    thanks