Stunner Pass Road

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jnclem, Sep 13, 2019.

1. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Is anyone familiar with the Stunner Pass road from Del Norte to Platoro? My wife and I are planning to ride through that area on the way to New Mexico next week. We wouldn’t get there until early afternoon, so kind of a late start to the dirt. We aren’t camping, so no option to stay up there. It’s 70 miles of dirt, loaded bikes, older riders, not interested in any drama, just a nice afternoon in the South San Juan’s. Looks like an easy road, but I’ve been fooled so many times. I was over that road 20 years ago in a pickup, but I don’t remember it that well. Plus, you never know, condition could change in 20 years.

Anyway, not looking for “I did that three up at night in a snowstorm” opinions. Think old farts, heavy loads, training wheels, that kind of thing.

Thanks!
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posted a month ago. Looks like its from this summer.

There's a lodge three miles south of the pass on the same forest road. Give them a call. http://platoroco.com/
    jnclem likes this.
  3. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We already have a place to stay that night. We will check it out for the future. From everything I can find, it looks to be just a road.
  4. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    It is a generally easy road...a little bumpy in a few spots. It is a long way across the mountain though and it can get a little slippery if it rains while you are going over!
    jnclem and shu like this.
  5. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I remember it as a pretty ordinary Colorado dirt road in some beautiful country.

...............shu
    jnclem likes this.
  6. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    It's was pretty wash boardy a month ago where
    I pitched camp at Stunner Campground for a few days.
    Merfman and jnclem like this.