Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Even Madder Matt

Even Madder Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That car driver must have been the ski patrol medic I saw after crashing into a fence and giving myself a concussion.

“Where’d you crash?”
    “Don’t remember.”
    “Was anyone with you?”
    “Dunno.”
    “Ok, you’re fine! Enjoy the rest of your day!”
  2. gpounce

gpounce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone have suggestions as to how to work the experienced knowing look.. or maybe a good mysterious line instead of my usual dorky ones?
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  3. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look dude. Either ride your bike off a cliff or continue being a dork. Thems the breaks.

Also, definitely DO NOT ride your bike off a cliff. I don't need any legal bullshit, I got things to do.
  4. gpounce

gpounce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i can handle the riding bikes off cliffs bit- seems to come naturally, but the being mysterious and interesting thing...
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Why don’t you guys get a room...
    Cameleer and gpounce like this.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
  7. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles wouldn't be as much fun if they weren't dangerous. Now about this biker deal, as soon as someone tells me exactly what a biker is I'll tell them if I am one. I'm pretty damn sure I'm not a pirate though, hell I don't even have a boat.
  8. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't let your lack of boat stop you from being a pirate. Live your dreams you scoundrel.
  9. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Probably a former football coach.
    OV10, brgsprint and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of being a pirate!
    You just go steal one.
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I crashed, 6:30 AM, Sunday, on a country road, a car stopped and the driver asked what he could do. All I could think of is make sure nobody runs me over!
    pinocono, LeboRiley, OV10 and 5 others like this.
  12. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who's been down and still on the road would agree, that's top priority, second being don't let my bike get run over lol
  13. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Lately I’ve just run into a never-ending stream of people who think I’m commiting suicide commuting through traffic into work. Have we become that risk adverse as a people? I get everyone’s texting and running into everything, pay attention. I had 3 people pull out in front of me just yesterday, predicted each one and no big deal to avoid them. I know commuting on a bike isn’t for those who need to space out, but I’m getting tired of all the saviors trying to prevent my death.

Cripes, nobody makes it out alive ffs, quit worrying when your going to die and live in the day your here.
  14. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can relate.
    My doctor said she isn't a fan of motorcycles.
    She said I should not ride because it is dangerous and she had worked in an emergency ward in a major hospital and seen many injuries from riding.
    I asked her how many injuries she treated caused by car accidents... she said a lot.. then I asked how many she saw caused by slips in a shower...she said quite a few.
    I told her I have been riding since 1971 and showering long before that and I haven't had an injury requiring a hospital visit doing either thing.
    So I think I will keep riding as long as I can toss a leg over the seat.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biker = Someone who's identity, and lifestyle is sharply focused on motorcycles.

Pirate = Someone who cosplays the patched MC lifestyle.

Twatwaffle = Someone who cosplays an adventure rider.

Squid = Someone who rides too fast for their skill and judgment.

Biker isn't typically derogatory although its often associated with counter culture behavior. Non riders will use it for someone who rides on a regular basis.
    Pirate, Twatwaffle, and squid are pejoratives for someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, and it's obvious.

Perhaps they're over simplified labels, and a bit judgmental, but there are some distinct social groups within the motorcycle community that stand out, and are curious to those outside of them.
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a doctor who rally races in her spare time. She doesn’t give me shit bout motorcycles!

Charles.
  17. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I worked in an auto parts store in college. This guy came in every Saturday in a nice lifted jeep off-road rig he'd be smoking a cigarette before he came in the door. He'd usually be wearing shorts and a wide open Hawaiian shirt. He was kind of loud and high strung. He had a lot of projects and always spent money.

One of the guys that didn't usually work Saturday, saw him come in, and they started chatting. As it turns out, this dude was a doctor... There are cool ones out there.
  18. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    My chiropractor is an ex motocross racer
    SmittyBlackstone and SnowMule like this.
  19. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid and found a friend with land that rode motorcycles, my mom tried to keep me away from riding. I had money I earned and was saving for a 13ft Boston whaler but now wanted a dirt bike.

She asked my pediatrician what he thought about me riding. I still remember him saying, “as long as he’s wearing gear and has supervision I don’t see an issue.”

Still appreciate that all these years later. And if I hadn’t ridden dirt bikes I’d probably have killed myself when I got my first sport bike.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    ^^^Or, you might have drowned if you got the Boston whaler.

Do people suggest not riding in boats?