Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be baffled, and let that shine though when I asked, "Why?"

For me, this is like going to the beach, having a beautiful day, but the fog rolls in early, so I have to go home, and someone saying the same thing.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is an idea.
    How about drivers have to get a motorcycle license before they get one to drive something with 4 wheels.
    They have to ride the bike for 1 year..
    Dealers could rent them.
    I know I am dreaming. Must be the scotch I drank
  3. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Somehow I can never come up with great replies like this on time.
    SmittyBlackstone and Macho Man2 like this.
  4. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it when people ask about the rain. I usually play dumb as well when they get weird about. My wife knows full well that I ride in most any weather and still actually called me the other day to see if I needed a ride home from work.
    SmittyBlackstone and TonyKZ1 like this.
  5. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Well yeah - they all melt in the rain
  6. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually feel this way about drunk drivers instead of texting drivers. At least they generally know they need to pay extra attention, and you can see their inability to stay in a lane from a mile away. Bro getting a text looks like a normal driver until he gets that message, which is inevitably when you're in the danger zone.
  7. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me and my friends I ride with often say, when it rains, "I'm not made of sherbet !"
  8. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Hey, toolnerd, here's another reply to Miss HR. I don't "feel" anything, Women "feel", men think, wanna know what I think NOW?
  9. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    I tell people the rain is just a relief from the 100 degree heat in these Texas summers.
  10. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ToolNerd,
    Wow, do you every have my sympathies, especially for the giant woman interaction. My inclination would be to just let that one slide. Once one starts engaging tit for tat with someone like that, it might be starting something that has no graceful end. My hope would be that failing to engage would reduce the odds of further snarky encounters.

And the coworker with the truck, while he may have had good intentions at heart, you wonder what kind of brain fart he had - has he never seen anyone (you?) ride in the rain without the motorcycle giving up all of the magic smoke from its electrical system?

After reading of your tribulations from just one day of rain, I find myself thankful for my coworkers. When they comment, it is usually genuine concern, or a little ribbing from the other riders (all in good fun).
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I managed to ride 7,000 miles across country and back without any stupid conversations. Sure I had people stop by at gas stations and exclaim - wow, you rode far! but that was it. Genuine curiosity and good natured conversation.

There was one hotel employee who told me I looked tired upon checking in. She asked if I'd been riding long and when I replied - yeah since Colorado she did a double-take and didn'tt know what to say but sure sped up the check in process. I was in Indiana.
  12. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In full atgatt checked in at a hotel in West Virginia. Getting ready to go to my room on the third floor when the clerk asked how far I had ridden. Told her left Wisconsin that morning. She asked for my key back (I'm thinking ????). Hands me a new key and says "I put you in the ground floor suite. You look like you could use it.". Made my day.
    Toto, TurTal, Tall Man and 30 others like this.
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say little and say it quietly
  14. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    Maybe the guy with the truck had old Triumphs?
  15. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one fellow at a gas station walk up to me and start ranting about how unsafe those murdercycles are and how I should sell it and buy a nice car.
    He was going on and on about how sport bikes should be illegal (I was on my FJR) and that if I kept riding I was sure to get killed.
    He then asked me what I thought.
    I told him that motorcycles are a hell of a lot safer than walking up to someone who is 6 ft 5 in tall and 300 lbs and telling them how to live their life.
    He walked away still ranting and raving
    TurTal, ryder1, Tall Man and 19 others like this.
  16. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I have always been amazed the ability some people have at sharpening their stoopid skillz.
  17. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You haven't thought this through very well. There's a lot of people who should NEVER be on a motorcycle.
  18. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't want to speak for oldgrizz but I suspect that may be the point. Those who should NEVER be on a motorcycle wouldn't be on one for very long in that scenario. However, with that sort of volume of riders and the associated injuries etc. from those who should not be riding I suspect we would see a rapid change in either the legality of two-wheeled motorized transportation or the requirement to ride them to protect the masses from the danger...
    SmittyBlackstone and Barron like this.
  19. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, although it would be a super hard transition waiting for all the uninvested car drivers to die-off in favor of those who passed the gauntlet of having ridden motorcycles first.

And, of course, there’s the issue of people who are physically unable to ride, but could otherwise drive. I wouldn’t want to leave them out just because “rules.”

For people unwilling or incapable of riding a motorcycle due to attitude (like, the attitude of not wanting to learn and improve the skill or, “It’s too dangerous, so promote me straight to the vehicles that are the main danger to motorcyclists”) I say tough; you probably shouldn’t be driving, either.
  20. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    This week, they started renting scooters here in DC. I am afraid. Very afraid.
    Toto and SmittyBlackstone like this.