Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I managed to ride 7,000 miles across country and back without any stupid conversations. Sure I had people stop by at gas stations and exclaim - wow, you rode far! but that was it. Genuine curiosity and good natured conversation.

There was one hotel employee who told me I looked tired upon checking in. She asked if I'd been riding long and when I replied - yeah since Colorado she did a double-take and didn'tt know what to say but sure sped up the check in process. I was in Indiana.
  2. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In full atgatt checked in at a hotel in West Virginia. Getting ready to go to my room on the third floor when the clerk asked how far I had ridden. Told her left Wisconsin that morning. She asked for my key back (I'm thinking ????). Hands me a new key and says "I put you in the ground floor suite. You look like you could use it.". Made my day.
    Toto, TurTal, Tall Man and 30 others like this.
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say little and say it quietly
  4. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    Maybe the guy with the truck had old Triumphs?
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one fellow at a gas station walk up to me and start ranting about how unsafe those murdercycles are and how I should sell it and buy a nice car.
    He was going on and on about how sport bikes should be illegal (I was on my FJR) and that if I kept riding I was sure to get killed.
    He then asked me what I thought.
    I told him that motorcycles are a hell of a lot safer than walking up to someone who is 6 ft 5 in tall and 300 lbs and telling them how to live their life.
    He walked away still ranting and raving
    TurTal, ryder1, Tall Man and 19 others like this.
  6. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I have always been amazed the ability some people have at sharpening their stoopid skillz.
  7. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You haven't thought this through very well. There's a lot of people who should NEVER be on a motorcycle.
  8. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't want to speak for oldgrizz but I suspect that may be the point. Those who should NEVER be on a motorcycle wouldn't be on one for very long in that scenario. However, with that sort of volume of riders and the associated injuries etc. from those who should not be riding I suspect we would see a rapid change in either the legality of two-wheeled motorized transportation or the requirement to ride them to protect the masses from the danger...
    SmittyBlackstone and Barron like this.
  9. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, although it would be a super hard transition waiting for all the uninvested car drivers to die-off in favor of those who passed the gauntlet of having ridden motorcycles first.

And, of course, there’s the issue of people who are physically unable to ride, but could otherwise drive. I wouldn’t want to leave them out just because “rules.”

For people unwilling or incapable of riding a motorcycle due to attitude (like, the attitude of not wanting to learn and improve the skill or, “It’s too dangerous, so promote me straight to the vehicles that are the main danger to motorcyclists”) I say tough; you probably shouldn’t be driving, either.
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    This week, they started renting scooters here in DC. I am afraid. Very afraid.
    Toto and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually guys I think your right, over here you go throw multi layers to gain a full motorcycle licence with the 1st being a CBT ,(compulsory basic training) it's to make sure you can actually ride a bike and not just a case of having the money to buy one, I've often thought that if new car drivers had to do this it would give them a better idea to the dangers a motorcyclist faces when riding and hopefully make THEM better drivers.
  12. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, great. It was bad enough in College Park, now it's in DC too. Oh wait, I'm in CO now...carry on!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Every time I turn on the radio here in TN, I hear about folks making scooters illegal. I wonder when that's going to progress to motorized scooters (or at least be misinterpreted as such) and then on to other 2 wheeled vehicles....
  14. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was an article in the local paper here in Canadia (where Canadians come from) about people using high-powered/fast "personal mobility devices" in the traffic lanes. They are an upgrade from the electric wheelchairs we've all seen, and instead of going maybe twice walking speed, they go 4-5 times that speed. People are using them on the road where they're really too slow to be part of the traffic mix, but they're also too fast to be on the sidewalks because they can mow down pedestrians - again a massive speed differential. The police are saying to act like pedestrians on the road - ride facing (against) traffic, not with it.

Kind of the same situation as people who ride regular scooters, which are 30 mph maximum, right next to the curb on a road where traffic is going 50+. They should find another route IMO. They could get killed on those things.
    SmittyBlackstone and Barron like this.
  15. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like those scooters! I don’t understand why people have such a big problem with them. They’re fun and they make travel in a city actually exciting, instead of tedious and annoying. I don’t mind parking far away and hopping on a scooter to get downtown. But walking 20 minutes in the NC sweltering heat... not so much.

Chrles.
    Squily and Rippin209 like this.
  17. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’m the opposite, I’d love it if cars were banned from city centers.
    BMWrider79 and Barron like this.
  18. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Nashville most of the scooters here that don’t get crushed by texting obliviots end up in the Cumberland.
    SmittyBlackstone and Oilhed like this.
  19. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I said.. it must have been the scotch....it was goooood
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was seventeen my girlfriend's smokin' hot older sister had a cool boyfriend who was a welder by trade, wore a leather jacket and had Billy Squire hair. He drove a camper van, which he banged her in every night and rode a GS550L Suzuki. One night they were at a concert and took her car. His bike was parked in front of the house when the skies opened up and boy did it rain. My girlfriend's father ran out to push the bike into the garage because I guess they melt in the rain or some shit. Of course he dropped it. I bet the boyfriend was really happy he did him that favor.