Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually guys I think your right, over here you go throw multi layers to gain a full motorcycle licence with the 1st being a CBT ,(compulsory basic training) it's to make sure you can actually ride a bike and not just a case of having the money to buy one, I've often thought that if new car drivers had to do this it would give them a better idea to the dangers a motorcyclist faces when riding and hopefully make THEM better drivers.
  2. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, great. It was bad enough in College Park, now it's in DC too. Oh wait, I'm in CO now...carry on!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Every time I turn on the radio here in TN, I hear about folks making scooters illegal. I wonder when that's going to progress to motorized scooters (or at least be misinterpreted as such) and then on to other 2 wheeled vehicles....
  4. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was an article in the local paper here in Canadia (where Canadians come from) about people using high-powered/fast "personal mobility devices" in the traffic lanes. They are an upgrade from the electric wheelchairs we've all seen, and instead of going maybe twice walking speed, they go 4-5 times that speed. People are using them on the road where they're really too slow to be part of the traffic mix, but they're also too fast to be on the sidewalks because they can mow down pedestrians - again a massive speed differential. The police are saying to act like pedestrians on the road - ride facing (against) traffic, not with it.

Kind of the same situation as people who ride regular scooters, which are 30 mph maximum, right next to the curb on a road where traffic is going 50+. They should find another route IMO. They could get killed on those things.
    SmittyBlackstone and Barron like this.
  5. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like those scooters! I don’t understand why people have such a big problem with them. They’re fun and they make travel in a city actually exciting, instead of tedious and annoying. I don’t mind parking far away and hopping on a scooter to get downtown. But walking 20 minutes in the NC sweltering heat... not so much.

Chrles.
    Squily and Rippin209 like this.
  7. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’m the opposite, I’d love it if cars were banned from city centers.
    BMWrider79 and Barron like this.
  8. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Nashville most of the scooters here that don’t get crushed by texting obliviots end up in the Cumberland.
    SmittyBlackstone and Oilhed like this.
  9. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I said.. it must have been the scotch....it was goooood
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was seventeen my girlfriend's smokin' hot older sister had a cool boyfriend who was a welder by trade, wore a leather jacket and had Billy Squire hair. He drove a camper van, which he banged her in every night and rode a GS550L Suzuki. One night they were at a concert and took her car. His bike was parked in front of the house when the skies opened up and boy did it rain. My girlfriend's father ran out to push the bike into the garage because I guess they melt in the rain or some shit. Of course he dropped it. I bet the boyfriend was really happy he did him that favor.
  11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I bet George Costanza would be pleased.
    mikegc and HuntWhenever like this.
  12. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I am all for well planned pedestrian malls.

It would be outright impossible to ban cars (and trucks) in downtown US cities.

DC is thinking about doing congestion pricing in the downtown area. This might help.
  13. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this. I will be using this in the future. I'm only 6'4" 250 lbs but, I think they will get the message.
  14. C330F

C330F Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pro-rentable scooters too. I hope they will lead to a lot of new motorcycle riders as everyone realizes how fun riding around on two motorized wheels is.
    JStory and Doc True like this.
  15. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    In today's society, be prepared to have that taken as a threat and all the legal fun that could entail. Not that I agree, but people are hypersensitive these days.
  16. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Doesn't help for us 5'7" 300 pound dudes. Lol. What am I supposed to do? Tell the guy I'll eat him?
    Ibraz, TurTal, kendives and 12 others like this.
  17. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. You never know these days. In all honesty I usually smile, nod and ignore people. This is really handy in the workplace as well.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    Another good answer to this would be to smile (always with a friendly smile) and say, "I don't know. How does being a dumbass feel?"
  19. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    I’ve often just say something like, “yeah, it’s not for everyone. You have to love riding.”
  20. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you get the same stupid comments with tattoos... "I don't like tattoos" etc. My usual answer is "Then you definitely shouldn't get one."

Same with motorcycles. "They're dangerous/you'll die/etc."

"Then you definitely shouldn't get one" always works!

That said, I tend to get more positive comments both about the motorcycle and tattoos. Having a "big bike" in SE Asia helps, as well as very complex ink work. :-)
    Oilhed, TonyKZ1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.