Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    "They're dangerous/you'll die/etc."

Sure, we all start to die from the time we are born, but have you ever really lived? :deal

But somehow I think that concept would just go wooosh over their heads.... :(
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    A life spent in constant fear is not a life I care to live. /Starts motor/Rides into sunset/

Charles.
    TurTal, thechief86, severely and 2 others like this.
  3. LeboRiley

LeboRiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fear is what makes it fun. If it wasn't scary it would probably be boring.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrm, good point.

Charles.
  5. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today was a day that ended in Y so I got another, "aren't you hot?" I told him that's why i didn't wear my airbag suit today. He just stared at me. Lol
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    You are such an optimist.

The whole point of vehicles, rentable by the hour is that the user pays for the time they use the device and don’t have to deal with niggling issues such as insurance and maintenance.

Aside from avoiding those responsibilities, they get to avoid responsibility for proper use of the vehicle, especially around other people/vehicles.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. Fluke

Fluke Need to get back to dirt

Oddometer:
    It seems there is never a perfect time to ride a bike in most people's eyes. " That's got to be hot , isn't it too cold to ride. I guess you regret taking the bike today ect......... I hear at least one of these comments every freaking day. Most people aren't trying to start a conversation just say something in passing . I get it , but damnit it gets old hearing it all the time . If its cloudy they tell me I shouldn't be riding because it might rain. I love it when we get off work and it's raining they give me the speech and I reply I'm heading home to load and ride dirt bikes. Lol
  8. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No with me it's not a threat....its a promise....if they are snowflakes let the bastards melt...
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Isn't it hot, isn't it cold, are you gonna get wet?"

I don't care, I wanna ride
    SmittyBlackstone, Fluke and LeboRiley like this.
  10. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Blah blah blah ... zero fucks given.
    thechief86 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    We have those in Brussels, from three different companies. The kick scooters are pretty much meh, but these NIU electric "50cc" scooters are another thing altogether. They're limited to 45kph here, which is fine on city streets (speed limit 30 or 50), but oh man are there a lot of people doing stupid crap on them.

So far I've almost taken one out on a freeway with my GS and one has almost taken me out while cycling on a bike path--neither of which is a legal place to ride one. People who own 45kph scooters know these things, but all it takes to rent one of these is a cellphone and a car license. People who own scooters also know how to filter--those things are tiny but I get stuck behind them while filtering pretty regularly.
  12. goD giB

goD giB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can't think of anything cool to say, just get them to talk about themselves.
    Generally people's perception of you is rooted in the interest you show in them .
  13. RandyButternubs

RandyButternubs n00b

Oddometer:
    I once had a guy walk up to me, feel up my petrol tank, and say, "Ah good, a metal tank.". He went on for a bit about how he was a doctor and about the perils of plastic fuel tanks. The double whammy was that this was in London, where you Do Not Talk to Strangers. I can't remember what I said in return; I was pretty stunned so I think I may have just stared at him, open-mouthed, until he went away.

Funnily, he had no opposition to the fact that I was riding a 30 year old rust bucket with clapped out suspension and bearings.

All my bikes have had plastic tanks since. :rofl
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what are the perils of plastic tanks according to the good doctor?
  15. RandyButternubs

RandyButternubs n00b

Oddometer:
    He was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that they were more likely to rupture and cause a fireball in the event of a crash.
  16. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in a rural area and haven't dealt with the scooters first hand, but my understanding is that a lot of them are limited via gps location. Take one on a pedestrian path and they'll either shut down, or limit them to a couple mph.
  17. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It always happens just after I put in ear plugs. Rolled the bike out of garage to begin a trip. Guy walking by detours up the driveway and says something. I tap my ear and say, ear plugs! He comes right up to my face and warns me about crazy drivers! LOL, I say, Thanks, you have a good day too! I had never seen him before.
    I guess we're buds now. Waves to me when I walk my dog.
  18. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    The kick scooters (Bird, Lime, etc.) are limited like that in some areas, mainly to keep people from flying down boardwalks and pedestrianized zones with them.

We're talking about "real" rental scooters, which are basically a 50cc Vespa/Buddy/whatever twist-n-go but with electric power. Those have a lot more potential for people who don't know what they're doing to get flattened. The companies offering them seem to trust the renter not to ride them through shopping malls, and hopefully the fact that it feels like a vehicle rather than a toy accomplishes that most of the time.
  19. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally want to ride one of those through a shopping mall now. How do you think they handle escalators?
  20. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Depends...

How are you at trials riding? :deal