Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's fu***ng rainy here, at Madrid.

Today, when arriving to my job, I was in the lift with a job mate. We started to talk about weather and then he asked me:

- Wow! So you come on motorbike with this weather... Don't you get wet?
    - No. Absolutly. Can you see the puddle I'm leaving at the floor? It's sweat.
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    One day I noticed my neighbor loading his ratty (but dear to him) old PU obviously to go to the dump. So I asked him, "going to the dump?". He gives me this any-more-stupid-questions? look and allowed that he was. So I offered him a ride back. :D

I once took a picture at that overlook for a young Korean couple who wanted to drive the famous PCH... they had a rental car and a film camera. I posed them an arms length apart holding hands and did a low angle shot with them perfectly framing the bridge in the background. I figured they would see what I had done when they got home.
  3. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Well, I got a nice stupid question I haven't gotten in a while.

I'm a short fat guy. I can kinda touch down both feet enough to keep the 790 Adv balanced at a stop, but much prefer to scoot to the left of the seat and flat foot it.

On Highway 153, some guy rolls down his window this weekend to yell, "That bike is way too big for you, get a smaller bike before you hurt somebody!"

I ignore it. I pull into the Harbor Freight parking lot and start to dismount, and I hear a nearby engine when I take off the helmet. Look over, it's the same guy. "Did you not f-ing hear me? I said you're too little to be riding that!" I pointed to my ears and shouted "Earplugs, don't hear you!"

He repeated the size comment 3-4 more times. I ignores him and took off the suit, packed it up, and he eventually left.

My only interpretation is that apparently he was so worried about the bike being too large that he was trying to get me to downsize the bike or something right there on the spot and upon seeing that I didn't, he gave up.

I'm sure some idiot missing the point of this thread will now chime in that his comment was not stupid, just uneducated, and if they were there, they would have given him a tabulated summary of the MSF course material on how one can hold up a tall bike at a stoplight without being able to double flatfoot it, as a proper ambassador to the sport would do.
  4. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Maybe he wanted to buy your bike, and was trying to "scare" you into selling to drive down the price? :loco You should have asked the guy what kinda bike he rode. :D That may have lead to a longer conversation than you had time for.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    If this was directed at my earlier post about folks being polite and engaging in idle chit-chat, your experience was obviously neither of those. Only an idiot would think that.
  6. Tool.Nerd

Oddometer:
    No, but a few hundred posts earlier, you could barely post in this thread without being chastised to hell and back.

But I am an idiot though. Fully agree with that part without argument. :D
  7. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    For not riding a bike with an 18" saddle height? :D

I do get a kick out of riders that think you have to have both feet flat-foot, plus knees bent. I see it often on another forum where folks are lowering bikes that already have a 26" seat height. :fpalm Turns a motorcycle into a trip hazard.
    CaptCapsize, Woonjas, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  8. Tool.Nerd

Oddometer:
    I like the trip hazard comparison -- reminded me of when my wife told me she bought a dog and I was all excited to meet the thing when I got home. Got home and thought, "Okay, it's not knocking me down, where is it?" My wife says, "Here it is!" and picks up this little terrier in one hand.
  9. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i worked at a Harley dealer for a few years and that was constant. The double flat foot was a daily conversation I had, even the Slim, which had a sub 24” seat height factory, I was asked about lowering, lower seats etc. I would get into talks about rideheight and cornering clearance etc. no go... if it’s not double flat footed, it doesn’t fit and is therefore dangerous
    Traxx, WDG, HuntWhenever and 2 others like this.
  10. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is it dangerous to others if a bike falls over when the rider stops? (Rhetorical question.)
    Wandergives and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am short and you should be riding a Honda. !@#$%^&* KTM

I am short and you should be riding a BMW. !@#$%^&* KTM

I am short and you should be riding a Livewire. !@#$%^&* KTM
  12. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Its quite elementary, actually.

Rider comes to a stop on a bike that is too tall for him because he cannot flat-foot both feet with knees bent at 90-deg angles. Rider unavoidably falls over. The car beside him has to swerve to keep from hitting the rider on the ground. This car swerves into the path of a truck transporting nitroglycerin. The truck swerves to miss that car, and in the process runs off the road, down a hill, and into an oil refinery. The resulting explosion is detected by sensors in Russia, and is falsely interpreted as the release of an ICBM. Russia fires a counter-attack, which brings about a thermonuclear war and the end of society.

It happens more than you might think.
  13. sandychain

sandychain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They could hurt their back helping you pick your bike up.
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Maybe you could replace the lowering links.
    Macho Man2 and HuntWhenever like this.
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

I am 5'7".

I had that happen to me once.
    Perre, Jimr80gs, Eric Plante and 6 others like this.
  16. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can rarely come up with a good retort on the spot. One benefit of this thread is that reading the stupid questions you all were faced with gives me a chance to formulate clever answers that I can call on to put the ignorant questioner in his place in a timely fashion. :jinx
    tommymerle and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am short so give me money!
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    My personal go-to is “eat a bag of dicks”. Highly useful for almost any situation. But FYYFF seems to be a fan favorite here.

Charles.
  19. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With ADV salute for the hearing impaired
    What's the average age around here again?
  20. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Where did tool.nerd say that his antagonist said anything about his not being able to flat foot the bike. Way I read his post the comment he received was only that the bike was "too big" for him, with no elaboration, only repetition. Tool.nerd was stripping to his sponge bobs for part of the encounter so he had demonstrated he could stop and park the bike yet his personal idiot continued. Don't even know what bike it is.

Then a bunch of inmates chime in with their flat footing stories. WTF?