Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is a common misconception. The black bikes are harder to keep clean and look worse if you don’t keep up with them. I was parts manager at a HD dealer for a few years.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a reason to only buy bikes with minimal chrome.
    Rockred and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I prefer to work with a good shellacking of dead bugs.

The bike looks the same again after 2 weeks anyway.
    Hasn't been cleaned except for special occasions for the >130,000+ kms I've ridden her year round in all weathers. Not washed (other than lights) for > 70,000.

But, a light rinse with the power washer, a soap down with truck wash, another power wash, towel dry, plastics restorer on the plastics, clean the chrome on my mirrors and forks and it is showroom ready in 45 minutes. 2 hours if I also clean the chain and sprockets.

Quality shiny black paint that has been waxed properly is insanely easy to clean.
    Matt Black is often easier to remove paint and try again.

Same with chrome. Good chrome barely needs the rinsing from a passing shower. Mediocre needs lots of Polish to get the same effect. Crap chrome... Is well... Crap.

I ride to ride, not to be seen riding.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or just let it wear down like that primer chevelle or gto the kids had in high school. Wasn't that the idea behind HD "Denim" paint?
    goD giB and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I had the same question about my 2014 Honda Forza 300 maxi scooter with a really bad clutch bearing up in the Yukon.
  6. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool and raining on Monday and I was trying -- usuccessfully -- to find an a last minute Christmas gift. A woman, from her car, yelled something at me that included the word "motorcycle." I don't know for sure that what she yelled was stupid, but I pretended I didn't hear her.

Yesterday afternoon, I rode 97 miles around home. It was sunny and and in the low sixties. I saw quite a few riders out enjoying the day and when I stopped at Tractor Supply to get a gift for a neighbor, the cashier said, "What a beautiful day for a ride. I've been in here all day, but I'm done in 27 minutes."

After paying for my purchase, we wished each other a Merry Christmas and I said, "I hope the next 27 minutes passes quickly!" She glanced at the cash register, turned back to me, smiled, and said, "26 minutes."

Pretty smart.
    andy57, mikegc, strommonster and 4 others like this.
  7. onebadscrambler

onebadscrambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that may have been an opportunity offered.
  8. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a invitation.
    I would waited the 26 minutes!
    Clampett, Eric Plante, WDG and 5 others like this.
  9. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of buddies who ride Harleys with all the chrome. They often make comments about me riding when it's been raining (I would not be riding when the roads are wet, it would take me half a day to clean up my bike!) I just tell them I bought my bike to ride not just to look at!
  10. andy57

andy57 quiet one

Oddometer:
    Stopped one day to get a bite to eat,I was wearing a yellow Aerostich jacket, lady in car next to me asked if I was a fireman. I almost laughed out loud to her.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. maydaymike

maydaymike Fearless Commuter

Oddometer:
    You're supposed to respond to that one by offering to show her your hose.
  12. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially if you have enough that you can unreel it for maximum visual impact.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I got a few free coffees when my Olympia lime green jacket was new.

It is so dirty now they kick me out of the store.

But it has over 100,000 km of travel on it now.
  14. jrw600

jrw600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son and I were on a bike trip east. Walking through a small town museum, in our riding gear, a woman asked if we were in a "Biker Gang". We were both wearing our Joe Rocket gear, so yeah...we're in a gang. The Joe Rockets! Look out! :-)
    SmittyBlackstone, KeithC and sieg like this.
  15. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in line getting fast food lunch in my hi-viz Aerostich and the woman behind me asked me the same thing. She seemed pissed off.

When I told he I was riding a bike and pointed to it, she calmed down and explained that her office had just been evacuated because of a fire and she was acting annoyed because thought I was a firefighter shirking my duty.
  16. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

You should have told her ”Fuck off... I am on my lunch break.”
  17. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am sure that you did not mean that the way it reads. :lol3:lol3
    DeepBarney likes this.
  18. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take no pride in being a dick for no reason, why would I attack someone who misread the situation and admitted it?
    squonker, RG1984, WDG and 4 others like this.
  19. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's easy to be a dick on the Internet. It's harder to be a dick to a woman in the Hardee's at lunch. Lots of Internet Badasses around...
    RG1984, AugustFalcon, xrttman and 4 others like this.
  20. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a question but thought it worth putting a story of something that hapened to me a few years back...

A few, OK many, years ago I was riding an old, original, white BMW 80GS. Lovely bike but the wind-blast was a pain at, cough, motorway speeds.

So one Saturday I ran my friend Bill (She had here eyes closed in central London for some reason....:-) down to a M.A.G. rally in Hyde Park and then shot off to the Touratech workshop that used to be in the Old Kent Road to fit a very nice little Acerbis unit, and a low front mudguard.

Anyway the reason for this story happened a week later... I was happily cruising up the A1, at a sensible pace you understand, when this ford/vauxhall/other Rep car came past me like I'm standing still, followed by a police car...

And imediately the police car slammed on his brakes and pulls over in front of me... Now those that know me know I do not upset easily but i was spitting fire at this point... Police... Motorcycles... Book em all Danno...

His blues flicked on... the indicator flicked on... I found a few new words... anyway we slow down and pull into a slip lane for a little chief, or similar...

he gets out of the car... I cant get my helmet off quick enough... and.... and.....

He put both hands up and said.......... "I've got one of those and where did you get that from" as he pointed to my new little Acerbis screen...

Speechless... absolutely speechless... did not know whether to laugh, cry, fall off the bike or carry on with my new found vocabulary...

We talked for quite a while about bike and I must admit i have always been appreciative of the motorcycle cop, which he normally was, as they do seem to have more logical sense than the 4 wheeled variety.

My parting comment to him was " the rep was lucky"......... His reply is unrepeatable here....... polite but unrepeatable...........

All I can say is either he had eyes in the back of his head or all that "pursuit" training really works as definitely impressed that he could spot my little screen at those speeds.
    Barron, Rockred and WDG like this.