Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Yeah, usta had a bike but had to lay 'er down!"
    buelligan, DOGSROOT and Wheedle like this.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    "Have a safe ride" is so stupid.

Actually there are usually a few people I SHOULD kill each time I ride.
  3. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    There's always a scam of some sort when you get approached at a gas station. I was filling up the GSA in Nashville and this guy walks up, points to his car with two elderly people in it, tells me he just got his car repaired in Knoxville and they are on their way to Florida and the car broke down again, needs $50, $20, whatever you can spare, etc. etc. gotta get a tow truck, elderly parents are tired, etc. . I ask "What did they fix in Knoxville? The GPS? " He says transmission. I said "Hunh.. thought it might be the GPS. If you were in Knoxville and you are heading to Florida, you're going the wrong way. "

He walked away...
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I was gassing up in Winnimucca, NV, almost home from 3 weeks away going to Alaska and back, so the bike and my gear is just filthy. Big, busy gas station and this guy walks up with a spray can of cleaner and a rag and offers to clean my windscreen. I politely declined, figured the dude was homeless or something but he never asked for money or anything. I don’t mind chatting to strangers for a minute, but eventually I figured out the guy was a fellow rider (Harleys) and traveling with his RV :lol3

Once he realized I was trying to get to Los Angeles that night and it was already noon, he apologized for holding me up since it was going to be a long day.

Guys approaching you at a gas station are usually trying to get something from you - not always - but usually :D
    davidji, MikeyT and DOGSROOT like this.
  5. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stopped at a small fundraising event and parked my Janus among a group of motorcycles. A guy came over and asked me what year it was. I told him it was a '21. He then asked if I restored it. I told him "Not yet. It's only a month old."
  6. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
  7. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Don't you know those things are dangerous?"

I just say "Yes I do, and thanks for watching out for us on the road".

With my Bonneville and CB1100, I also get the "Did you restore that?" question. When I explain that the bikes are modern, but just look old, I get a "huh..."

A few times on the 2012 Bonneville, I've gotten the "You are brave riding an old British bike... those Lucas electrics are hell. How often does she leave you stranded?"
    concours, T-34, Rockred and 2 others like this.
  8. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    While filling up at a gas station...

"Nice bike! What year DRZ is that?"

IMG_3930.jpg
    Bors, SlipChip, T-34 and 2 others like this.
  9. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    no one approaches me for anything. I'm big and don't look friendly.
    mike, LikeAfox, JeepDawg and 8 others like this.
  10. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get, how old is your Royal Enfield some times when I pull up at a servo. When I say 12 months, they generally don't get it.

It's a Himalayan so the other statement is generally along the lines of I didnt know they made that type of bike.

But I'm also tall, wear glass and am bald with a goatee so people either don't approach me or think I cook meth in my RV
    bwalsh and BadKarma like this.
  11. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently a guy approached from the side, he friendly like, tapped me on the shoulder. When I turned. He was startled and said , "Oh sorry I though you were someone else". I said "I am someone else." We both got a laugh out of it.
  12. Roads and Trails

Roads and Trails Just Ridin' Along Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip through the South I stopped for fuel at a large crowded gas station.
    Finding an open pump behind me I did two tight U-turns to put my bike on the correct side of the pump.
    I pulled my helmet off and heard laughter from an old guy filling up his Jeep.
    " I knew there was going to be gray hair under that helmet, kids can't make turns like that."
    concours, Jimr80gs, Toto and 19 others like this.
  13. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    two u turns? hmmm...
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two Us make a W UU see? :lol3

Kind of like how two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. :hmmmmm:jack
  15. Two Up & Pup

Two Up & Pup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sure like so many people, most of us have all had the same questions asked. Commuting into work for so many years it was always the same. Don't you know those are dangerous, how can you ride in the rain it's too slippery out there, your wife let's you ride that thing, you are selfish you have kids, it's too cold / hot, what kind of mileage, what is it, how much does it cost, will you teach me to ride, I used to have a bike but.....

Even had our receptionist years ago would check on me every day. Would always come look to make sure I made it in safely. Every time she heard about a motorcycle wreck in the traffic report she would rush to my desk to see if I was ok. If she arrived before me and didn't see the bike in it's normal spot, would start calling to make sure I was ok. Don't know if she really cared about my safety, or was just waiting for me to die so she could get my parking spot. :D

Yesterday was a new one though. New older security guy, "Good Morning Motorcycle Man, So who is your favorite rider, Evel Knievel or Easy Rider? For the first time in years was actually surprised by a motorcycle question. Only thing I could think of to say was Evel of course. He just smiled and nodded and waved his arm with a "right answer you are authorized to pass" look.
    OldCrustyStuff, T-34, TonyKZ1 and 3 others like this.
  16. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is also me.
    gusthedog likes this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Questions? You want questions, try piloting a sidecar! Almost every time you stop someone will come up and ask questions. There is a term for the additional time it takes for us sidecar people to do a trip called: "The sidecar delay factor".

Sidecar top of Echo Camp.jpg
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    For a couple of years, the guards at our security desk were a young hottie and an old fellow supplementing his Social Security.

I got the sense that the young lady seemed to be genuinely interested in me (no embellishment here, seriously). However, I was and remain happily married, and the perceived age difference between hottie and I was just enough that it might have affected things. She could wear the hell out of a uniform, though. :raabia

The old guy was a hoot. Every morning when I walked through the doors wearing obvious riding gear, he'd invent a new occupation for me and announce it to anyone within earshot. My favorite was that I was a best-selling author who took a regular day job for a change of scenery. Frankly, I found that scenario to be kind of appealing.
  19. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am small and smell bad.
  20. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tap tap... Oh hey
    Screenshot_20211020-183841.jpg
    gusthedog and CROSSBOLT like this.