Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Do not touch me, ever.
    SnowMule likes this.
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    "Don't touch Jimmy!"
    Scubawerx likes this.
  3. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a first... gassing up this morning, a guy on the other side of the pump was fueling his Prius. He said "You're probably the only guy here who gets better mileage than me."
  4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Early 1991, before Ducati was popular again. I had a brand new 907ie and got a lot of different comments/questions in those early days.

I'm stopped at a light, a car pulls up next to me and the guy asks "What kind of bike is that?" Ok, I get it, but then again "DUCATI" was written in letters about three inches high, right at his eye level. I told him it was a Ducati. He asked who makes that? I told him Ducati makes it. He looks over the bike and says "Man, you must have gone all the way to Japan to get that". To this day I don't know if he was teasing me or not.

I'm stopped at a scenic overlook, taking a break. A guy rides by on a Guzzi, sees the bike, does a U-turn and comes to check it out. Doesn't say a word to me at first, then finally looks up and asks "So are you an engineer, or a machinist?" as if those were the only two choices. I reply "I'm an engineer, why?" He nods his head and says "They're the only two type of people who buy these things" and then rode off. To be fair, back then that really wasn't such a far fetched opinion, most owners did seem to be that sort of person.

I got numerous versions of "I thought they went out of business" comments from people who knew of the brand.

One kid argued with me, said my bike was so much faster than his GSXR. Well, no, not really. He wasn't having it, so I stopped arguing.

A lady walked up to me at a gas station and asked "Is that Italian?" I said yes. She nodded her head, said "I thought so" and walked away.

Beautiful summer day, the 907 is parked out front of this shop next to a few Harleys. It's just me and the Harley guys in there. They're dressed in the vests, patches etc, and do not look like the accountant types. The door is propped open. A guy walks by on the sidewalk and yells some nasty comment about rice burners. One of the Harley riders looks over at me and says " What a f$#%ing idiot"... That one made me laugh.

I came out of a fast food place one afternoon to find a guy staring at the bike. I had parked it next to a red Corvette. Turns out it was the Corvette owner. He said "I thought I painted my Corvette RED, but... damn..." There's something about the red Ducati used in that era, it's not like later years. Put a 907 or 851 next to a red Ducati from even the mid '90s, you'll see.
    Macho Man2, SnowMule, T-34 and 7 others like this.
  5. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a whole lot more FUN than him, too.:nod
    Macho Man2, T-34, 250senuf and 2 others like this.
  6. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove a Prius for a few years. Just like bikes...it depends on how you drive it.
  7. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, you may be right.

maxresdefault.jpg
    Gone in 60 likes this.
  9. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fun fact I discovered with a Prius:
    Lots of cars with traction control freak out on gravel inclines when the wheels spin. HOWEVER...traction control isn't tied into reverse. :deal
    Bonus points for scaring the hell out of your 4x4 friends when you catch air clearing the hill in reverse in a Prius. :lol3
    I'm just glad they didn't hear me cussing at the bottom of the hill about why the HELL did I take the car that day instead of the bike.
  10. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Did you break his heart telling him your Kawasaki H2 only gets 27MPG? :D
    Gone in 60, Mambo Danny and brgsprint like this.
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    My gasoline VW Golf gets better MPG than my Ducati or Oilheads did or Harley does.
  12. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This reminded me.
    They were doing so renovations to our office so I got to share some office space with the big boss (a female)

One morning as I was still taking off all the gear before I started working, she was on a call and I heard here say. "yea, you should share an office with me. Every morning I get to see Karl do his strip tease. LOL
  13. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Would be even funnier if you are a Roadcrafter guy! I myself rock the oldest remaining intact suit I’ve ever seen in a faded grayish green color and can’t imagine nor do I care what people think when I walk into work with it
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  14. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a harley? I didn't know you had a Harley.

Its a vstrom, not a harley.
    Kaalsb likes this.
  15. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Related: stupid social media comment. I’m not a big Facebook person, but as part of my 2nd job I have to manage a FB group. I am, however, connected with family and friends on here.

So I just returned from a 3500 mile trip from Georgia to Maine and back on my Kawi Concours. Family and friends wanted to see pics so I posted a few. A distant cousin replies ‘you need a Harley’. Ok yeah, I ride a 1400 cc cruise missile but clearly a Harley would suit me better. And obviously I can’t ride long distance on the Connie.

Note: this is not intended as a Harley bashing comment, but as a comment to bash those ignorant people who think everyone should ride the same brand of bike.
  16. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy and I were wearing our dirty and dusty Dariens. We were trying to check into a motel. A group of HD riders pulled into the parking lot. They had reservations. One came up to us and asked what forest fire were we on. We just pointed out to our filthy GS'es away from all the shiny HD's. The guy said,"Oh" and walked away.
  17. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, motorcycle commuting has finally paid off for me! For years, I've had a semi-private work space, with a partition. My coworkers haven't had to watch me change when I get to work, but they know I'm back there changing, and I guess it made them uncomfortable. The boss decided to work from home, and everyone collectively decided that I get his office so I can shut a door and change into and out of my gear in private. I just finished outfitting it to my needs, with a changing couch, a cabinet to hold my gear, and a helmet table to charge my GoPro.

New Office.jpg
  18. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    When I lived in southern Indiana and rode sport bikes, my friends and I used to wear full leathers. You know, multi colored one piece stuff you'd see at race tracks.

One morning we were stopped at some gas station when a little kid looked up at me and asked "are you guys POWER RANGERS?". Not at all stupid and it still makes me smile when I think about it.

Same group of guys. Different morning. We stop at a small town diner. Door creaks, we walk in, all conversations stop, and from the back of the room I hear a lady say "oh my god..."
    Macho Man2, Huzband, TonyKZ1 and 6 others like this.
  19. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    The ladies look at me. A dirty short scruffy confused biker and go back to their salads.
  20. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    Are we related?