Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a stupid question, but.
    One day I headed to a automotive parts store on my FJR to pick up some oil to do an oil change.
    Parked in front of the store was a Ducati Street fighter.
    I looked around the store and spotted a very nice looking lady wearing full leathers.
    I approached her and asked if she could delay leaving until I finished my purchase.
    She asked why, I said, I want to hear that Ducati howl, she smiled and said sure.
    So we went outside and she fired it up, then rode to the end of the block and turned around.
    She opened it up and as she got even with me grabbed a gear and pulled the front wheel about 3 feet in the air and waved at me as she passed.
    I fell in love about then, at least in last.
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    I had fun with a similar inquiry when I owned a DL1000.

Replying "a big twin" when asked what I rode (a 1L just qualifies as such, IMO) the questioner walked away satisfied that I piloted a Motor Company product. At the end of the work day, seeing me standing next to the V-Strom as we were in the parking garage, he had a mildly confused look on his face before wordlessly walking to his car.
  3. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "What *is* that?"
    ... It's a KTM 1190 Adventure.
    Made by KTM.
    Anywhere I want to go, really.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    probably, I am human, are you?

Mom got kicked off the island at 15 for getting pregnant.
    Nttra likes this.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    many many years ago I stopped at a diner on my way into work. I made small talk with the waitress and she looked at me in disgust.

later that night I showed up at a bar fight as a motor cop wearing a leather jacket & boots. That same waitress followed me around the parking lot until one of her friends told her she was embarrassing herself.

was it the booze, the bike or both?
  6. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bike story, but… A few years ago in a Needles, CA gas station, guy says can I have $20 for gas?… My wife and I are traveling to Utah for a new job. Me: no, but I’ll fill up your vehicle. They had an older VW vanagon that I filled for them. They were very gracious. I won’t give folks money, but I’ll help in just about any other way if I can.
    Scubawerx, Jim Moore, TonyKZ1 and 9 others like this.
  7. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well-meaning but perhaps clueless people say to me "Ride safe!". I ponder a bit, smile, and say, "That sounds like a good idea, I think I will!"

DBAD
    Macho Man2 and DR Donk like this.
  8. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always respond with "nah, I prefer to go everywhere on the back wheel. It saves on buying tyres" or "nah, I thought I'd crash just for fun". It's normally my mum saying ride safe. She still hasn't learned and I'm in my 40's
  9. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You forgot the other "b"...badge.

Perceived authority.
  10. messes

messes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they are using it more as a well wish, than a suggestion on your behaviour.
    strommonster, tlub, squonker and 6 others like this.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    If riding was safe I would not do it. Living is not safe.
  12. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    I used to get "Have fun. Ride Safe" from my significant other. I always replied that those are two mutually exclusive statements.
    therealjared and ChopperCharles like this.
  13. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    As a future Indian owner, I am so confused. Is there a class I can take to determine what a proper touring bike is?
    Nttra and thereal_od like this.
  14. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is where a pithy reply comes in handy:

If I wanted to ride something else; I'd ride your (mom,sister,wife,sheep)
    Whatever is most appropriate at the time.
    Nttra, thereal_od and DeepBarney like this.
  15. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly, which is why I accept it in the spirit it's offered and move on.

Like I said, DBAD. I don't understand why this concept seems to be so difficult.
    DeepBarney likes this.
  16. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should have put him on the spot and asked him why? What can a HD do that my Concourse can't? Then tell him what your Concourse can do that any HD can't.

Rick G
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Living is fatal.
    davenowherejones likes this.
  18. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked at Disneyland in the 80s during high school and college. During the very long midnight walk thorugh the employee parking lot, we'd get hit up by lots of people bumming for money.
    All of the stories started with "I was at Disneyland today, and my wallet got stolen. I need money for..." The typical need-money-for stories were bus fare to get back to xxx, gas, I need to buy a part for my car to get home. One guy always had an "I need a part to get home" story. One night it was a starter. Next night, same guy, before he could say anything, I said "Hey, did you get that new starter?"

On a very rare few occaisions, people had an actual need, and it took a while to convince me that they weren't asking for money, and really needed help, like a jump start, or to see if I could figure out why their car wouldn't start. It was nice to let my defenses down and actually help someone.
    Jim Moore, davidji, TonyKZ1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bike related, but odd and might still me going on. Recently drove from TN to MB in the van with the wife and 2 dogs. We were somewhere on I29 in South Dakota, and stopped for gas at one of the gas stations that was all by itself and kinda rough looking. I'm gassing up, wife jumps out with the dogs for a break and I notice there is a pickup pulling an old bumper tow travel trailer at the pump facing us. There is a whole family(dudes, women, kids) milling around, they are not pumping gas and appear to be camped out there.

Like on que, they all start looking at us. One of the toddlers in a diaper and no shirt staggers over to pet the dogs followed by his 5 ish year old sister, mom follows and dad hangs back by the front passenger side of their truck. My situational awareness meter is bumping 8 as the wife closes the slider door and walks off with the dogs to the grassy knoll.

Then the mother pipes up, "Hey, have you ever seen a hairless cat?"...me:..."Dr. Evil".....she didn't get the reference and proceeds to reach into her truck. My head is on a swivel, and it's good that the fuel filler on a Promaster van is right behind the driver's door, so if they were planning anything they had little room to maneuver. I don't think it was an out an out attack, I think it was a gypsy type grifter deal where I was to keep my eye on the shiny,,,,err ah...bald object as she approached with the cat. The dad looked unsure of his position because he kept looking around. As the pump ran I stayed with my back to the grill and did not approach the woman, I let her come to me. She was like, "here, touch her"...I did and said, "that's weird".

Wife was behind the building, no one in the parking lot had gone that way so I knew she would pop out any min. I wanted distance between the van and this 'group', so as soon as the pump clicked off I rolled it up and backed away from the pumps to the edge of the parking lot. I exited with the keys, locked the van and waited for the wife to spot me and head my way. No controversy please, but I have been armed since 1980...job hazard, and I was on this day. From where I was I could see everyone and had no one behind me, and they could not get there unless on foot. When she got to the van we loaded up and buttoned up post-haste.

"The last thing I want to do is get in a fight in Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night", so we hopped back on I29 asap, saying to each other...."What the FUCK was THAT?" Maybe it was all innocent, but something was going on because we both could feel it. Always best to trust your instincts and don't pet bald cats in pub-lic.
    JaredE, Jim Moore, SnowMule and 5 others like this.
  20. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to veer too far off topic, but @Motor7 story brings to mind a podcast episode I listened to on my way in to work this morning. Situational awareness and trusting one's instincts absolutely saved the life of the guy in this episode.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-17/id1483289230?i=1000538648754

It's a good listen, skip to 14:45 to hear to the story in question. It's a true account, I actually looked up the case online when I got to the office.
    Draechon and Motor7 like this.