Stupid Things Faster With More Energy

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TroyWolf, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Its always nice to compare notes.
  2. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Troy, I'm ready to go. :D
  3. slowarc

slowarc Mind-Body Experiment

Oddometer:
    You guys found the good stuff for sure. When were you there? If you posted a date I missed it. I was at the old metro stop this weekend. When you come back check out some great riding north of Richland Creek campground in the Richland Valley. Spotted a huge black bear on Hwy 16 near Ben Hur Saturday. Great country.

Enjoyed your report.
  4. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    We rode Fri - Sun, Apri 20-22, 2012.

I barely caught a glimpse of a small black bear up on the orange loop in the Mill Creek ATV system a few years ago. Rare to see them I guess.

We did ride N of the Richland Creek campground--at least we passed through on Co-Rd 1--the road that had the huge landslide. I notice the Ozarks Highland Trail runs through there, too. I bet there is a lot more to explore in that wonderful part of the world.

Did you ever see the bus at that metro stop? :rofl
  5. frijole

frijole Clickin'

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  6. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too! I just have to cross the 1300 miles in between us first!:rofl
  7. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Great stuff! Thx for sharing.

nlp
  8. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    I'll be checking these routes out in July! See you there?

Kevin
  9. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the ride and some of the tracks I shared.
    A big thanks to DevroDirt too, some of those was his too.
    Its always a challenge on what you really want to suggest when not knowing the skill level of the riders involved. :rofl
    What is easy to some is impossible to others.

Enjoyed the pictures and the read. :clap
  10. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    These routes will work with a 1200GS with a passenger?
  11. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know when in the area riding. I'd love to do that ride.
  12. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bet money on that, parts of it could be doable easily on the 1200.
    It would entail all maintained forest roads. :D
  13. lineman29

lineman29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to riding that stuff in July also. Thanks for sharing.:freaky
  14. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had Fun!!!
  15. TroyWolf

Oddometer:
    Easy answer is "no".

Longer answer
    I couldn't have done parts with a passenger on a 1200 or my 800. Some folks couldn't ride the route on a 250 2-stroke. Other folks would have no problem doing all of it on a hard-tail Harley with a passenger. The difference is skill, eh?

I remember a friend and I riding up a long, gnarly hill climb in Arkansas on our light-weight dualsports. We struggled up, but made it without falling over or getting stopped. Once over the top, we shut the bikes off and removed helmets to catch our breath, drink some water, and congratulate ourselves for being so manly.

Then we heard it...a soft putt, putt, putt of a thumper climbing the hill. As the rhythmic putt, putt grew closer we heard no engine revving nor sounds of struggle. As he crested the hill, we about fell over in disbelief. It was a man on a fully-loaded KLR with huge aluminum cases....and his wife on the back. He passed us and started up the next steep section never changing pace or throttle.

That man is my hero.

Ever since that experience--and the many others I've witnessed since--I'm careful to label something as "easy" or "difficult", and I almost never describe a trail as "not doable on a big bike". Those are words I'd almost surely have to eat!

Regarding GS Giant routes specifically, I'm not in charge of that, but for what I provide, I'll be playing it on the safe side when making my suggestions for easy, medium, and difficult routes. So if you typically find trails to be easier than described, you might want to step up into the harder category.

For those not familiar with riding in Arkansas and Missouri, I'd say some folks are surprised by how rocky the trails can be. If, for example, you are used to the smooth, soft dirt trail in Michigan's UP, you'll find some Arkansas trails to be a rock garden! My advice? Point your front wheel at the biggest rock in your path and gas it! The bike WANTS to go over it--you just have to hang on! :clap
  16. TroyWolf

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! You'd better be with me on that 950 next time, Luc! ...oh and Paris was WONDERFUL! We got home yesterday after having a perfect week in Paris.
  17. _serhan_

_serhan_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up and photos/videos. We have to do it again!

S.
  18. TroyWolf

Oddometer:
    Yes! Yes we do!
  19. wildernessrider

wildernessrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a dirt bike...down by the river in Texas
    Hoping you guys will come try a camp and ride at the WildernessRider Buffalo Ranch & OHV Adventure park. We are located on the mountain that sits directly behind the Boxley Church on hwy 21. The Beech, Edgeman, and Panther Camp creeks all cross our property. We have many log roads in various condition from mild to wild, and some proper single track. Lots of ledge line and waterfall features for hikers & climbers to enjoy too. Check us out. We will host the AXC Cross Country Racing Series season opener here on the first weekend in March. Come on out and watch, or join in on all the hare scrambles racing fun! Also throwing a big dirt rider Easter bash on the place. Easter weekend fits perfectly between Scotties AR 500 ride the weekend before, and the Hillbilly Dualsport Ride the weekend after Easter. Come stay a week and catch one of those rides. Better yet, come spend two weeks enjoying some spring time Ozark outdoor bliss, while catching two of the best annual dual sport rides in the region. Come on out, and ride until your heart is content! Take a day jaunt, or even a two day float & camp trip in the headwaters of the Buffalo National River. It's the prettiest part of the entire river, and is amazing that time of year!
  20. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Is
    Is there a good web site or a calendar of events that we can reference for all of this stuff? I'd love to attend! Feel free direct message me if you'd like.