Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. BeardedBlunder

BeardedBlunder Let the bails begin

Oddometer:
    Since I have been enjoying the stupid questions thread, and am in the process of buying my first bike in way too long I thought this could be fun as well.

So what are the dumbest things you've heard from someone trying to sell you a bike? Either at a dealership or a private seller.

A few of my favorites so far:

Me sitting on an XR250 Tornado trying not to look too uncomfortable: "Yeah, that's a great bike, and real fast too. You'd love it for adventure riding, you can ride it all day"

So I walk over to the brand new V-Strom: "Oh yeah, best adventure bike money can buy, and it's a twin cylinder so you won't need to get off after an hour of riding like with that little Honda."

Different place, my buddy is with me, semi-pro MotoX rider. He is looking at a new Husky, salesman looks at him and says: "nah kid, you don't want something like that, that's for pro racing type stuff. Plus it's not street legal, so you never have anywhere to ride it unless you live on a farm"

Private seller: "Oh yeah, this is a great bike for someone learning to ride, it was my first bike and I learned to ride on it. Sure I dropped it a load of times at first but at least it's nice and light so it's easy to pick up again."
  2. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Best one was

"The price of the car we are selling is dependant upon if your car has a lien and how much the lien amount is".

Strangely no BS from moto purchases.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  3. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I'm sitting with the regional sales manager from Yamaha, and there isn't a new bike with the color you want anywhere in Illinois."

During a call from my local dealer while I was picking-up a new bike in the color I wanted 2 hours south...in Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benduro and daveinva like this.
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    On why my brand new, just off the showroom floor Triumph Bonneville (in 2007) wouldn't start:

"It's that cheap British gas. They don't have the same quality gasoline as we have!"

FWIW as well, the bike was made in Thailand.

They never really fixed it, I did by re-jetting both Carbs.

Another:

When my son was purchasing his first bike, the Salesman at a Suzuki Dealer.

"Never wear a Helmet - it makes you look like a newbie!"
    Scot66 and Dave W. like this.
  5. BeardedBlunder

Oddometer:
    I thought Yamahas only ever came in blue? (Not being serious btw)
    Wearyeyed likes this.
  6. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The car has adaptive shifting which learns how you drive and adjusts the shift points and firmness.

It was a 6sp manual golf tdi.

The first street bike I bought was a VN1600 mean streak back in 2004. A friend of mine bought the same bike about two weeks earlier so I knew what he paid and asked for the same deal. Tell the guy I'm paying $11,200 cash OTD. He says, sorry below my cost, there's no way I could even come close to that. My boss would never let it go for that, we won't take off freight and setup... blah, blah, blah.

Told him my friend's name and gave him the details, sure enough I rode off with a shiny new kawi the same day for $11,200.
    Chainwhip and BeardedBlunder like this.
  7. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I was at a dealer 2 weeks ago and shopping the used bike section. Sales guy approaches and I tell him I have a possible trade and I'd really like to see an FJ-09 but hadn't seen one in the shop yet. As we're talking and he's verifying they don't have one, I notice a black one shuffled between about 5 FZ-09's. I just stopped there. If you don't know what you've got on hand when a customer asks in a showroom only containing 50 bikes, you're not the guy I'm giving $10k to.

I went and sat on it and he actually started telling me about how hot a seller this FZ-09 is. Yep, I'm outta here!
    miamimoto and Benduro like this.
  8. BeardedBlunder

Oddometer:
    Technically I am a noobie (again). Can I please teach this salesman the purpose of a decent helmet?
  9. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was at a Harley dealer (I know, my first mistake)

I was looking at bikes that would be good two up.
    Have any of you ever really read what GVWR is on a bike? On most big touring bikes there is not much left for riders and gear.
    At the time I had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. If I remember correctly there was like 410 pounds for rider, passenger and gear.

Anyway, back to Harley. I ask the salesman what the rating is on the bike. Takes the guy several minutes to finally find that the bike can carry about 400 pounds of rider passenger and gear. "I know people carry more than that on them all the time. And these new motors make a lot more power. I've seen guys carry close to 750 pounds total with no problems."

Do they really not know where the weight limit of the machine comes from?
    louis cifer likes this.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I was shopping for a new truck. Got a price on what I wanted from GMC Dealer A. Went to GMC Dealer B, told salesman what I wanted, he came back with a much higher price for the exact same spec truck. I tell Dealer B that Dealer A would sell me the truck for XX$; salesman says, "They are lying to you; there's NO WAY they can sell you this truck for that price!" Still sitting at his desk, I call Dealer A, tell him that I am at Dealer B and he says you're lying to me. Dealer A says, "Put him on the phone." I do, and while i watch Dealer B get red in the face I can overhear Dealer A saying how little he appreciates being called a liar. Dealer B hangs up and says, "I can meet that deal", and without saying a word I walk out the door. Why do some car salesmen assume buyers are stupid and have to be such asshats?
    ultrasheen, Cdub!, arthurdent and 7 others like this.
  11. BeardedBlunder

Oddometer:

I see this way too often, not necessarily on bikes, but on trucks. Sure, my pickup can quite easily pull 5000kg (Just over 11000lbs) as long as you are not in a hurry, and I admit to having loaded double the rated weight on the back. But then I am driving under 35mph on a private farm road where stopping quickly isn't much of a requirement.

I have the aftermath of when an overloaded 30-wheeler truck comes across a long twisty downhill in the rain. The sand traps didn't even slow him down.
  12. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Nowadays it's "what kind of bike(s) do you have now?"

Worst thing I heard was when I got my SV new. He said "would you like to get the extended warranty?" I say how much. He said, $999.00. :eek7 I almost lost it.
  13. BeardedBlunder

Oddometer:
    Oh, thanks for the reminder. I was selling my BMW 130i m-sport not too long ago (Don't judge me). Took it to a dealership to find out what they would offer me for it. Now please excuse the South African currencies but I don't have the energy to do conversions right now.

The guy offered me R65 000 for my car. Even though right there on his showroom floor was a same year 120i without the m-sport package and nearly double the mileage that he wanted R180 000 for.

Also had a guy tell me that I would never find a F650 Dakar for under R50 000. I showed him our local version of Craigslist, his bike was the only one listed that was over R50 000.
    locknut24 likes this.
  14. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was working at a Harley/Buell dealer, and walked past a customer talking to a salesman about a S3. I heard the customer ask about the suspension adjustability, and the salesman answered.

"Not sure about the shocks, but it does also come in a really nice shade of blue..."

:fpalm
  15. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that - I *wanted* the blue one that was "nowhere to be found in Illinois," except at the dealer I bought it from.

But, yeah...I think they have glow-stick green now, too. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    While spraying for bugs in my garage, the exterminator notices my Yamaha GTS1000 and its hub-centered steering.
    "Oh yeah, I know about those bikes; they corner 30% better than regular motorcycles."

I don't even know what that means. :scratch
  17. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "If you don't buy this bike now it won't be here, I've got dealerships in California calling me wanting to buy it." Really? Because bikes sold in California are required to have the vapor cannister system this here bike at an Oregon dealership doesn't have...
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you snap a pic of you with your middle finger extended, next to the bike and send it to him? :lol3
    tokyoklahoma and Wearyeyed like this.
  19. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This. The paperwork lady tried like 4 times to sell me this... on a KLR. To be fair they were a used dealer that mostly dealt in "custom" cruisers so I am sure the bar hoppers jump right on that. I told her the bike is rock and hammer simple, I don't need the thing. And knock on wood, I haven't!
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I did have one problem under warranty. The slave seal leaked. Brought it in and still had to pay the 1 hr labor, $70 bucks.

Keep hearing stories about "warranty doesn't cover that" :topes
    Bitingdog and DSquared like this.