Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never bought a bike form a shop, or a car for that matter, I've always bough privately and all with positive outcomes!

But don't get me started on Real Estate salesmen! FFS, I've been close to choking quite a few of them!
  2. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I worked on cars for a living at that time, every tire had a different air pressure in it. That car had not seen a shop in months.
    Benduro likes this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    i think "freedom of choice" is fine (tho i believe we have much less real choice than most think (for example, look at the 2 imo terrible presidential candidates we were "free to choose" from) sorry for the CSM moment).

i just believe that salespeople should be knowledgable and honest.

if someone is tricked or coerced by an unethical salesperson into buying a pos or making a bad choice, is that really the "freedom of choice" we as a society want to have?

i have found some very honest, knowledgeable and reliable bike and car dealers and mechanics and i do all my business with them. i would like to believe that these folks do better in the long-run then ones who are just out to screw you to make a quick buck; but what do i know?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a new car dealer, helping the wife shop for a new car:
    I think we were looking at an Isuzu sedan, I wasn't familiar with them at the time.

Me: "What can you tell me about this car?" I'm thinking is it FWD, RWD, 4, 6 or 8 cylinders, disk brakes, etc?
    Sales guy: "The wheels go around"

Beat it out of there asap.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    When I was shopping for trucks, I was testing driving an F350 and the guy was telling me how it had a different motor with more power than the F250. (both were gas)
  6. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Parts counter, not motorcycle sales:

While traveling, I needed chain lube. I had the nerve to walk into a Harley dealership well protected by Triumph branded gear. I couldn't find chain lube so I asked at the parts counter. I was told they didn't have any because chains are antique technology! So many possible comebacks, but I just shook my head and walked out.
  7. BeardedBlunder

BeardedBlunder Let the bails begin

Oddometer:
    Let's rather not get into real estate agents.

Having driven Isuzu pickups for most of my life I can comfortably say that that salesman made a very accurate statement...
    240ADV likes this.
  8. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    To place closure on the incident, that Sales Guy was fired about two months later. Didn't get the whole story as to why, but I saw it as a plus to motorcycling in general.
  9. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    In my area, almost every Harley Davidson Dealer also has a franchise Dealership with Triumph. Also never met a Harley rider that didn't like Triumphs. Many of them started out on Brit bikes back in the 60's /70's. Actually, with a chain driven bike, you should ALWAYS carry a can of chain lube with you if you are traveling. I use DuPont Chain Wax. Otherwise, Harley Davidson Brand Chain Lubricant is $9.95, and is part # 93600005, available at any dealer. Almost always on the shelf.
  10. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm quite aware of all that. I've worked at a Harley dealership. I was just commenting on a stupid thing said by one salesperson.
    Benduro likes this.
  11. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time a salesman (not just cars obviously, almost everything has extended warrantee these days) tries that I ask: "Oh? Is there a problem with these units? Is it going to break that fast and that often? Maybe I should look at a different brand with better reliablity."

Shuts the smart ones up quick.

Wife bought one for the washing machine, despite my objections. Damn thing kept breaking down every year and of course they fixed it.
    "See? I told you it was worth the money." she said when they fixed just days after the original warrantee.

"Yeah? But now you are stuck with it for another 3 years until that warrantee runs out." I said.

"..." she said.
    Pomodoro, Bitingdog and Toto like this.
  12. MarioThePlumber

MarioThePlumber I like math

Oddometer:
    Not for a motorcycle, but I went with my sister once to test drive a car.
    "Yeah, this one has the auto transmission. Much more efficient than the manual ones."
  13. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, that's actually true in some cases.
  14. MarioThePlumber

MarioThePlumber I like math

Oddometer:
    I just looked it up and sure enough the auto version of the 2012 Ford Focus does indeed get better mileage than the manual.
    I learned something new today.
  15. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised when I found this out for myself, as well. My wife was buying a new car, and the auto version had better mpg rating than the manual. She was only interested in the auto anyways, I was pleased that it was the more efficient option.
    MarioThePlumber likes this.
  16. TheProphet

Oddometer:
  17. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    My Honda CR-V has an automatic and, for some reason, a tachometer. As I drive around town I can see the tach needle twitching like crazy as the black box looks for the perfect combination of transmission ratio and rpm for the best mileage. Seven- and eight-speed automatics are pretty common these days. When it comes to getting better gas mileage a computer will always be better at it than the average human.
    Benduro likes this.
  18. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but a traditional automatic transmission with a fluid torque converter will always have a significant efficiency loss compared to a clutched manual transmission. If you were to design a clutched, manual version of a gearbox with the same ratios as a traditional automatic, and then shifted them exactly the same, the manual would easily win the efficiency contest.

To your point though, having computer control and tons more ratios helps automatics these days. Same with lockable torque converters. And if you consider CVTs or auto-shifting dual clutch transmissions as "automatics" then the torque converter losses aren't an issue any more, and the automatic transmission has plenty of opportunity for advantage.
    Benduro likes this.
  19. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured that when the guy asked the first time or two. But then she explained that he was speaking with the chief accountant and paper signer of the household. He kept up the routine.
    Pro-tip for anyone who needs a chain lube ASAP, you can usually find that at Walmart or Home Depot.
    I believe the big edge they have is using dual-clutch transmissions. They're mechanically a manual, but with half the gears on one clutch, half on other and a computer to control it all. No torque converter power loss. I had one of these as a rental, and was shocked how good the gas mileage was as I tried my hardest to get the lowest score.
  20. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 2012 Focus's "automatic" transmission is in fact a dual clutch unit, not a traditional slushbox with a torque converter.

That said, there are slushbox cars scoring better than manuals, too - usually because of good computer controls, locking torque converters, and good gear ratios.