Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. octagonpilot

octagonpilot _________________

Oddometer:
    this is not exactly something stupid said by a sales person, but...
    a few years ago I was deep into shopping for a jeep wrangler, and had decided to buy new, a first for me. I had figured out what options I wanted, and thanks to the internet knew what to pay for a vehicle set up the way I wanted. So off to a dealer...

parked out by the road in front, on display, was a new wrangler that happened to be exactly what I was looking for. Color, exact options, everything. It had the price written on the windshield in the shoe polish or whatever they use, in digits that were about 15" tall. The problem, for the dealer, was that it was marked with the wrong first digit...$10000 to low.

After noticing this, I quickly grabbed one of the sales dudes, took a quick test drive, and upon our return, he starts in on me. Before we even have the seat belts off, I told him that if the price staring us in the face in tall shoe polish digits was their selling price, to go write up the sale. He, being unaware, had the look of "this was the easiest sale ever".

He takes me to his desk, all nice, and writes up the agreement, with the same number as the 15" shoe polish. Takes it off to his "manager" for approval. I watch. I see a group form. I see heads turn. I see the jeep get pulled away and the shoe polish removed.

A few minutes later, the BS started. They realized that the price was 10 grand off and they made up a fees to get the bottom line of the sale up to where they wanted/needed. On a cash purchase! I said I want to buy the jeep for the price it was marked with, on the windshield, in 15" numbers. They try to say the sales guy must have copied the numbers down wrong onto the paperwork, and since we already started getting the vehicle ready for you, the numbers are gone. I say, no worries, cuz I liked that jeep so much I took a pic of it to send out to my friends, so I have the number right here in an pic in my phone. Circular discussion ensues. Time wasted. Fun for me. Finally left.

Nobody there would ever just admit that they made a mistake with the shoe polish, or that they did it intentionally to bait people in. Had to be one or the other.

And car dealers and sales people wonder why they have the rep they do.
  2. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must be a Chrysler thing. They had a full page newspaper ad for a minivan that was what we were looking for, no fine print, went to get it and they added thousands in fees to get back to msrp. Walked out, bought something else, they called a week later asking if i still wanted to deal. I was laughing as i told them i bought something else.
    Bitingdog and Benduro like this.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled into a modular home dealer when i was young married and they first came out. I drove an impala ss into the lot and the FIRST thing the salesman said was " you cant afford it".
  4. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another story about customers just popped into my head. We had an old Jaguar on the lot and $1000 written across the windscreen covering the whole screen. A young guy came in with , I assumed, his girlfriend and said "how much is that old Jaguar outside there?' I asked "the one with a thousand dollars on the screen?" He said "yes.'' Being a smartarse, the default setting for salesmen, I replied "eleven hundred dollars." He said his thanks and went to look around it again.:D
    He did buy it (for $900) and we both had a good laugh about it all during the sale.:-)
    WearyTraveler likes this.
  5. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the first aluminum frame Buells came out, I went in to a Harley dealer to look at one and then I asked the salesman about a cash price and he said the price on it was the price, it was like $400 over retail, I said I've been buying bikes for 20 years and never paid retail, he said I never bought a Harley then, I said it doesn't look like I will be buying one now especially from you, have a nice day.
  6. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all fairness that wasn't uncommon back then. Harley has really changed things over the past few decades as far as sales and availability is concerned.
    Fattytwocakes likes this.
  7. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same over here in the 90's. No discounts on Harley bikes, they could sell all that they could get so why would they? The only thing you may get was a "shop" voucher on a less popular model, read Sportster, back then.
  8. pagomichaelh

pagomichaelh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tafuna, American Samoa (14.295°S 170.70°W)
    When I bought my '78 MGB off the showroom floor, I also purchased the 5 year, 50,000 mile warrantee specifically because of reliability 'issues' with British Leyland.

At 4 years, 7 months, 46k miles, the rear-end grenaded. As it turned out, money well spent. I loved that car, but it certainly did have some issues!
    Bitingdog and Benduro like this.
  9. Tall Man

Tall Man Emotionally magnificent

Oddometer:
    ....and?

The Big 3 have offered multiple engine options in their light truck platforms for decades. V8 and V10 gas engines were and perhaps still are available in selected Ford pickup trucks and passenger vans.

The salesman may have been telling the truth, unless there's evidence to the contrary.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC

The truth ?

Don't go bringing the truth into this ! :lol3
    240ADV likes this.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    These were 2015s. The only difference between an F250 and F350 now are the lift blocks and badge. Each have two motor options; diesel (6.7) and gas (6.2). The F150s have the TT EcoBoost and the 5.0. But the F250s/F350s have the exact same powertrain minus the diesel/gas options.
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    you know too much. therefore, you are disqualified from ever selling Ford trucks. :photog
  13. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    "come on, BUY IT! your wife wont care!"

dumbass.
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    First comment - the sales idiot was a dunce. Any good salesperson would answer the person asking the question. I've run into that kind of stuff when my daughter and my wife were the interested party. Those sales people got the hint.

Now for the second comment - the bike gained weight?

Maybe she found most DR buyers don't ride off road... Kind of how probably half the super sport riders aren't going to put much wear on the side tread of their tires before the cord shows in the center.

You aren't talking about real sales pros. You won't find these kinds of stories about real sales pros.

Well, seems a lot of people want freedom from government interference... at least as long as it is in their favor. How do you feel about the customer with a trade in screwing over the dealer? They barely get the car on the lot then lie like a snake about how great it is. We had a guy trade in a gorgeous strong running Suzuki GS750. We sold it and a few weeks later it comes in with serious noise. We take it apart - it was a big bore, the previous owner drag raced it and the crank took a squat. We offered the guy his money back - all of it. He loved the bike and we ended up giving him parts at our cost (not a Suzuki dealer) and more than fair labor. But he came out with a gorgeous big bore GS750 with a pretty much new engine. Just sayin' the road isn't one way only.

Having been in sales and as a consumer I've seen both sides. Lots of entertaining stories.

On the customer side there was the guy that needed V rated tires for his old KZ1000, claimed he was always over 130 mph. Then there was the kid who's brother had his 55 Chevy at 150 mph and half pedal on the throttle to go. One good one on a liar was the guy who claimed he could buy X at Y dealer for $2400 when we wanted $2500... the owner just happened to have Y dealer's sales manager on the phone and asked about it. The manager said they were selling all they could get at $2600! We let the guy go.

Just sayin' it does go both ways.
    sporthog93, Bitingdog and Benduro like this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    What salesperson - especially one that is married - hasn't said that one. It's always good for a laugh.
  16. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    It's called a joke.

[​IMG]
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    You're hanging out with the wrong DR owners. :D
    Bitingdog, Benduro and William Wolfen like this.
  18. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As my wife 5'5" 130 moved closed to 60 than 50 she found that moving a heavy bike like an FJR 1300 loaded for touring by herself on long solo rides became old news. She sold it and bought the 650 GS Twin much easier to handle
    Scot66 likes this.
  19. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So-called extended warranties are not actually a warranty. They are a prepaid service contract. Nothing in the paperwork for these contracts has the word warranty. They cover what the contract says they cover IF you follow all the requirements it places on you--maintenance records, etc.
    Scot66 and Bitingdog like this.
  20. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were sitting in front of the F&I guy when purchasing a used Chev Tahoe. I had already told him no, we don't want the extended warranty three times. He looked straight at my wife and said," you know ma'am, the fuel pump will probably need replaced in 20,000 miles."
    Me-,"if you can sit there and tell me that the fuel pump is going to go out in 20,000 miles, you can keep it." And stopped talking.
    F&I guy," So.......no on the extended warranty, OK"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk