Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Benduro

Benduro Detox Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still love it man?
    Svboy likes this.
  2. Benduro

Benduro Detox Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have nothing to worry about with that one, Shakey. You done good.
  3. Benduro

Benduro Detox Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guilty as charged...
    919849_10151352955165826_472543881_o.jpg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Eh, I guess...

[​IMG]

:D
  5. OrangeDevil37

OrangeDevil37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pissed my local KTM dealer off because I knew more about the 1190R KTM than he did and informed another customer that came in looking at them about all the known issues and problems and what differences in the bikes are 1190s and 1190r. the other customer seemed happy with all the info and left. the dealer looked at me pissed and said I scared him off, I told him I want to know everything about a bike before I buy it and what kind of rider its intended for.... needless to say im not welcome in the shop anymore. which is fine because I don't use that dealer anyways, I was burning time.
    tokyoklahoma likes this.
  6. Benduro

Benduro Detox Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
  7. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    A classic:

Poustman, oic, Benduro and 4 others like this.
  8. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sure would have pissed me off. Why would you stand in their showroom and put down their product to a customer??
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Not really, although I don't ride with any DR people it is just that most dual sports are not used off road. This has been true for decades. Riders of them stay mainly on dirt/gravel/paved roads. So... maybe she was psychic! Or she actually paid attention to you and what you said and knew you would have it off road. Good sales people learn that stuff with the right questions and listening.

Just yankin' your chain. It was just kind of a funny statement... the bike got too heavy...

I can't blame her. I don't know if it is so much that the bike is too heavy, we just get tired of horsing them around. That's why I've got a 250 for the dual sport stuff. The 650 was a pain to deal with in comparison when the going got rough. That and we find we can do as well with the smaller machine.

It does. We had Gold Wingers come in and try to turn everyone off on anything other than a Wing. That and sometimes the problems were less with the bike than the rider of the bike.
    Benduro and Bill 310 like this.
  10. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way back in 2003 I went to a Kawasaki dealer because I was attracted to a new model they had for commuting. It was pretty generic ZR7-S, had a small fairing and optional hard bags. I had been riding a long time, but I have never bought a new bike, and I was planning on paying cash. I asked about the possibility of a test ride. The guy laughed at me. I told him that I really didn't want to spend $7k on a new bike without every having ridden it. He said "You will not find a dealer within 200 miles that will let you test ride a bike."

I have an airhead and I had been using a BMW dealership about 50 miles away. I knew my budget wouldn't support a new BMW but maybe they had a used bike? So I go down and they had a nice K1100RS, 10 years old, 25K miles, Under $5K.
    "You want to test ride? You commute right? Come down on Wednesday and you can ride it to work a couple of days and see how you like it, then bring it back on Saturday."
    "What do you need for collateral?" I asked
    "Nothing, you have been coming here for years, we know you, it will be OK."
    As you can see in my tag line I bought that bike. During the 2 day test ride I did stop in at the Kawasaki dealer and let him know that I had decided to go a different direction.
  11. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my KTM 640 from one of the local BMW dealers. They had a few interesting bikes there, the salesman was literally throwing keys at me and telling me to go disappear with the bikes for as long as I wanted.

I ended up riding the 640 twice, the last time he recommended a 45 minute loop for me.
    Desce, Benduro and Bitingdog like this.
  12. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Thanks - it was awesome to have it for a few years. The guy I bought it from had completely restored it. It went like stink and was a blast to ride but had a horrible clutch and drank oil like a B17.

To this day, it's the nicest CB1100F I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

Finally had to get rid of it and ended up selling it to the head of development at Honda North America. He drove from the airport having just landed from Japan to my apartment and he had never seen one before as they didn't have them in Japan. You should have seen the look on his face.
    I got to deliver it to the baseball diamond at Honda headquarters in Torrance. I regret not getting a pic of him beaming with his new bike with his family.
    Scot66, Cogswell and Benduro like this.
  13. Fanta

Fanta Delicious Soda

Oddometer:
    Most dealers don't have an issue with letting someone test ride a used bike. The problem comes in when you want to ride a new bike. There is a big difference between 0 miles on the odometer and 1. 25,000 and 25,001, not so much. That may have been the difference.
  14. Fanta

Fanta Delicious Soda

Oddometer:
    Am I mistaken, or is this 9,999.9 miles clicking over to 10,000.0 ?
    Benduro likes this.
  15. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, excepting that the BMW place offered me test rides on three new model demos they had on their floor. That is the key difference. The BMW places seem to be willing to have demos, while the "Big Four" bike makers do not.
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Fanta

Fanta Delicious Soda

Oddometer:
    Ah. Noted. That info may come in handy in the future. Thanks.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    That's correct. That's one year of riding. =]
    Curgin, Belgradian and Benduro like this.
  18. Chainwhip

Chainwhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my KTM 990 ADV

Private Seller:

Yup 1 down and 4 up, aren't 5 speeds great.......and you will get like 70 mpg on this too!

PS: Hey David, you still need to send me those parts we agreed upon.................................douche!
    Benduro likes this.
  19. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair, you also pointed out that you had a years-long relationship with the BMW dealership, and (apparently?) had never been inside the other dealership.

If I was a dealer, and I had a customer I'd known and trusted for years, I would probably be happy to let him ride bikes. However, if someone I had never met before walked in off the street, I might not be in such a hurry to put myself on the line for the liability of them riding off on one of my bikes. Maybe the guy you were talking to had an attitude problem, but in general, I don't think you can fault a dealer for not immediately trusting a total stranger.
  20. Fanta

Fanta Delicious Soda

Oddometer:
    Cool. Makes sense now.
    Benduro likes this.