Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Through the years, I've gone into my suppliers in various modes of dress; one day, I stopped to place an order dressed in jacket/slacks/tie- everything was Yes sir,No sir,Thank you sir.

The day my order was ready for pick up I was cutting firewood, so I stopped in dressed accordingly; upon entering I was greeted not with a smile, or hello, or may I help you but with an upheld hand and "deliveries around back"...of course, they didn't mind me standing at the counter,later, to pay them a few grand.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    If you do NOT misjudge them, you might even end up $156 million richer (or not....)!!

"$156 million was endowed to a gas-station owner named Melvin Dummar who told reporters that late one evening in 1967, he found a disheveled and dirty man lying along U.S. Highway 95, 150 miles (240 km) north of Las Vegas. The man asked for a ride to Vegas. Dropping him off at the Sands Hotel, Dummar said the man told him he was Hughes. Dummar later claimed that days after Hughes' death a "mysterious man" appeared at his gas station, leaving an envelope containing the will on his desk. Unsure if the will was genuine and unsure of what to do, Dummar left the will at the LDS Church office. In 1978, after a seven-month trial, a Nevada court rejected the Mormon Will as a forgery, and declared that Hughes had died intestate. In 1980, Jonathan Demme's film, Melvin and Howard, was based on Dummar's story."
    ErGuss likes this.
  3. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking from numerous personal experiences, I think your assumption is way too generous.

The dealer with 6 sales folks that failed to acknowledge my existence while dressed in jeans and a t-shirt for over 10 minutes with 0 other customers in the showroom were tripping over themselves to greet me at the door when I was dressed in work attire.

I have many, many similar experiences as Tall Man. My work clothes were business casual but when not working I would not be seen dead in them. How you dress will determine how are treated more often than not. The reason is fairly simple; most of the time the stereotypes are reasonably accurate. After many similar experiences they extrapolate them to the next person walking in the door.

Car sales folks will commonly prejudge you based on:

How you are dressed.
    The vehicle you arrived in/on.
    Your age.
    and a whole bunch more......
    k-moe and Tall Man like this.
  4. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I only shop for cars with a crappy vehicle and in old clothes.
    They leave you alone so you can just look until you're ready.
    Toto, Jarlaxle, OLDNX and 4 others like this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were at a trade show (non motorcycle) and saw a booth with a new Ural in it.
    Went over and took a look at it, asked the guy manning the booth if they had any others in stock, as this one had a "SOLD" sign on it.

No, we don't stock any. All Urals are custom built when you order them. :topes

I thanked him for his time and we walked away.
  6. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Ford F150 with a 4.2L V6. Two weeks after a recall repair my daughter borrowed it. She came back with it an hour later. Coming up our street, it sounded like someone was under the hood beating on the engine with a five pound sledge hammer. Had it towed to the dealer the next morning. I called that afternoon to find out what was wrong. Service manager said they were not sure but thought it was the engine and to call back tomorrow. WTF? I stopped by the next afternoon to see what the hell was going on. Service guy took me over to the service bay while telling me it definitely was the engine. He lifted the hood to show me nothing inside. He said "We took the engine out and it does't make that noise any more". Mechanic screwed up the recall repair and they had to order a new engine from the factory. It only took three days and I had a brand new engine. I actually liked his sense of humor. Brought in a case of beer for the crew when I came in to pick it up.
    DOGSROOT, Benduro, wb57 and 6 others like this.
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I bought my first new bike off the showroom floor, the salesman was a young guy. After the test ride I told him what I would offer. While he was presenting my offer to the sales manager, I took a picture of the bike. I texted the picture to my wife, who was out of town at the time, with the comment "Honey I might need some adult supervision, I am being bad!"
    When he came back with a counter offer, I showed the text to the salesman. He put is head in his palm and said, "You did WHAT!", and rushed took back off to the sales manager. My offer was quickly accepted.
    Afterward as I was getting ready to ride it home, I showed him my wife's reply, "Great honey! Let me buy it for you!"
    He said, " Wow she is a keeper, usually asking the wife kills the deal."
    I said, "Yep, she is a keeper!"
    Benduro, ssason, Macho Man2 and 4 others like this.
  8. IndigoSouthpaw

IndigoSouthpaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is pretty cool that they owned up without any trouble and the guy was in pretty good humor.
    Kenny M. likes this.
  9. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Maybe all of my cylinders aren't firing at the moment, but...why would your text about "being bad" serve to convince the sales manager to accept your original offer?
  10. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went car shopping once for my wife and drove up in my 66 Chevy pickup. A flock of salesmen met us at the door and asked if we were trading the truck in. My wife told them I would probably trade her in before the truck. She was probably right.
    240ADV, ErGuss, OLDNX and 7 others like this.
  11. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to 2 Mercedes dealers. Drove my Lexus to dealer 1 who set me up with some sales guy who thought he was comedy gold. I cringed inside at how he treated the young woman who greeted people as they entered, and was unimpressed with his product knowledge. Rode my dirty GSA to dealer 2, removed my gear and walked inside, and within 50 feet was approached by the sales manager who apologized for not catching me as I walked in the door. Told him what I wanted, he was perfectly fine designating someone to take care of me but not until I decided I was ready. Sales guy kept his distance until I went looking for him, was knowledgeable, and when he couldn't answer a question he found the answer instead of making up something. Both times I was in jeans & tee shirt, but dealer 2 would get my business.

My wife always thought it best to dress up looking for a high-end product, to show she was able to pay for it. My thinking is that in a place where the price is negotiable, I think doing that causes the price to go up.
    Benduro and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    In business, appropriate attire is very much part of the expectation but when you are a potential customer, you have nothing to prove that needs to be conveyed by your appearance. Obviously you don't want to test drive a new car in greasy coveralls but there is no reason not to go car shopping in whatever clothes you are wearing for other reasons at the time. For motorcycle shopping, if I want a test ride, I'm showing up in motorcycle gear. Apart from that, I don't care whether someone judges my ability to buy based on my appearance. That is information they don't need and I won't volunteer until _I_ am ready to provide it anyway.

I got snubbed at an Audi dealership many years ago when I showed up to look at the (then new) SWB Quattro Turbo, in a scruffy old Triumph Spitfire. Went back a few months later in a shiny top-model Scirocco and got a much warmer reception including immediate and unqualified offer of a test drive in the manager's personal vehicle. I didn't buy one so maybe they were right the first time - but neither they nor I really knew that at the time. TBH, these days, I would probably prefer to be ignored until I am ready to tell someone what I want - but a few grey hairs usually get you more respect anyway.
    Benduro likes this.
  13. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When shopping for my wife's last car we got tired of the constant salesman presence. So when we got to a dealer I would ask for the salesman's card and tell him we were going to look around and we would find him but not to bother us until we went to him. If they came up before sought I would hand back the card and ask for someone else. Worked well, especially after I handed the first card back. The second guy wouldn't make that mistake.
    When we finally found the one we wanted we went for "our" salesman and found him helping someone else. We took a seat and waited until he was done. I figured that if he went by my rules I owed him the courtesy of waiting. He was very appreciative and I'll start with him next time.
    Benduro, ErGuss, OLDNX and 6 others like this.
  14. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    It wasn't my post but I know the answer! :y0!

If the offer was decent the sales manager knew that they had to seal the deal before the wife crushed the sale. It became a race against time and a deal was going to be better than no deal.
  15. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Went shopping few years ago for a new SUV. Finally found one we wanted to drive, after the salesman couldn't find one equipped with what we wanted. Asked them to appraise our trade-in while we were on test drive. Came back, appraisal not done. Started talking figures, they wanted a credit app filled out, I said no, (knowing our credit was better than 98% of the employees there) just shopping so far. They gave us a shitty price, based on other dealers we had already been to. They wouldn't budge on their numbers at all, told us to go find a better price, then come back and they would match it. We left, bought what we wanted the next morning at different dealer.
    Why they think I would ever go back there when I found a better deal elsewhere is just plain stupidity and arrogance. It was a university town well known for that type of attitude.
  16. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    What model year is she? Do you allow test rides?
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Your explanation makes perfect sense. Good job to CaptCapsize for a chess game well played.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My take was that they now want to close the deal ASAP, before the wife has a chance to read the text and (presumably) freak out over her husband making a purchase she doesn't approve of.

Edit - somehow although I made my post hours ago it just now showed up after the question had already been answered. Weird.
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wasn't my intent to pressure the sales staff. I was just communicating the buy to my wife with my weird sense of humor (which she understands). Their reaction kind of surprised me. I thought the whole thing was funny. I was proud of her support and happy with the deal, even if it was for a DL650.:lol3
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    When buying our latest 4 wheel vehicle, we were out on a test drive and the sales person asked what we do for a living. I responded by saying "oh, look sweetie. isn't that cute he's trying to qualify us as buyers." Then laughed and told him what I did for a living.

he made a joke about it later, all was good.
    Macho Man2, TT RDHS and bmac like this.