Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    It was a stroke of genius on his part. He turned their fears against them.
  2. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    Well shoot, and I called you a genius. Still, a great move.
  3. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    1967 model year. No test rides but might be open to cash offers :rofl
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Expecting a short life span? She sees this and you'll have one. :lol3
  5. goD giB

goD giB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the sense of humour displayed in his previous post she's more likely too make sure he isn't getting low balled before she fetches the shovel.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    SmittyBlackstone and shakeybone like this.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    and are you open to trades?
  7. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Was truck shopping, 2004. I wanted a truck that had to be ordered. Was talking to two different dealers who I had purchased from in the past. Got prices from both, pretty close, and told the one dealer to get it ordered. They came back with a price $3,000 more than quoted. I said whats up with that. well they could not meet the price they had told me, no one could. I left, ordered the truck at the other dealer.

When the truck came in, I drove it to the dealer who tried to jack up the price, parked it right in front, walked inside to the salesperson, and asked her if she liked the truck she said I could not get for the price? Then I walked out and drove away. I never bought another vehicle from that place.

[​IMG]
    ErGuss, Seventy One, bobw and 4 others like this.
  9. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turning 50 this year maybe I'll trade her in on a pair of 25 year olds.
  10. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    She would get a kick out of this.
  11. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    22s are fun, but I like the seasoned functionality of a 45.

Ahem.
  12. kwb377

kwb377 It's All In The Reflexes...

Oddometer:
    When I was 39, I dated a 22 y.o. for about 10 months. In the end, if I had just put a .45 to my temple and pulled the trigger when I first met her the headache would have been much less.
  13. satmanski

satmanski Sausage Creature

Oddometer:
    I should have known what I was in for when I walked in. Sales lady in a push up bra, bedazzled jeans and heavy makeup asked what I'm looking for. I tell her the model and she takes me over to it. Base model, swing a leg over anyway. Ask about another model. Never heard of it. She has to go look it up on her computer. I'm still on board at this point. I can tell she knows nothing about bikes so I finally ask if I can take it for a test ride. She says "well our clients are really picky about mileage so we only offer rides to people who are serious, are you serious"? I say, I've been on three test rides today. Blank stare. No I'm just looking. Walked out.

Next one, I tried going online to price the bike I wanted. Good ol' Daniel from Seattle answers and tells me all about how cool bikes are and ESPECIALLY the one I want. Three emails later I finally get numbers. Daniel says he can get me on the bike I want for 150 a month. Oh great, what are the terms? Never heard back from Mr. Daniel. I guess he deemed me not serious as well.
  14. clydeturbeaux

clydeturbeaux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a very similar experience buying a Truck. The dealer closest to my house had the exact model, options and even color I wanted and I was quoted a price that was pretty close to what I wanted to pay.
    I haggled a wee bit and got him to the agreed-upon price with the stipulation that I take it right then. I told him "No, I want my wife to see and drive it before signing anything" He told me the deal might not be the same tomorrow and that I "really needed to drive it home" and that we could do the paperwork tomorrow. I insisted upon returning the next day in the daylight and he nearly didn't let me leave.
    Went home, told my sparring partner about the truck and the deal and she was pretty happy and excited and agreed to go with me in the morning. Went to the dealership, met with the same salesperson, showed him the "work-up sheet" and said I was ready to sign. He came out with papers almost $1800 higher than the previous day's quote and said "I told you we couldn't make the same deal". With that, I requested my key and (of course) it was over at the Used lot being evaluated as he continued to pressure me. This went on for about an hour until Mrs. Turbeaux began to get pissed. She walked over to the Used car lot, took her key and pulled our truck around and honked the horn. The salesman was furious as he followed me out, grabbing my shoulder and telling me I couldn't pass up such a great deal. Felt lucky to get out of there unscathed.

Went home, got the wife calmed down and called the competing dealership on the other side of town asking if they had a similar truck in stock. They did, so I drove over there solo (my wife had had enough of salesmen) and I pulled onto the lot, sauntered over to the exact same model truck and found a kindly, older gentleman who admitted to being a salesman.
    I requested a test drive, he obliged and in 10 minutes I was in his office. Showed him the work-up sheet from the competition, and he said he would try to match it. Here comes the "manager". I braced myself for the "hard sell" and let him know I was pretty much allergic to B.S. and that if they couldn't match the deal, I was leaving.

He smiled and extended his hand and said, "No, we couldn't meet it, but we can knock $100 off their price and give you $100 more for your trade in. I signed then and there. No B.S., hidden fees or high pressure. It was with no small amount of joy that I drove it directly to the first dealer with the competitor's paper plates on it and walked right in to the salesman who blew the deal and demanded my key back as "the other dealership has a pending sale for my old truck". The look on his and his manager's face was priceless as I told them how I saved $200 off their "once in a lifetime" deal and even showed them the bill of sale as proof. Two or three people walked out of the showroom saying they were going to the other dealer.

I left after getting my key (which I later mailed to the second dealership) and took a victory lap around their lot .
    ErGuss, Seventy One, bobw and 9 others like this.
  15. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    about a month back, i had the chance to test ride an xdiavel. nice bike, lotta sauce on tap when i got on it, and it even cornered decently, but jebus h it had the worst forward control placement i've ever experienced -- when i rolled in i expected the salesman to be wearing medical gloves and holding a speculum.

he wasn't, thankfully. anyway, duder asked me how i liked it.

"first ducati i've ridden that i wasn't clutching under 4k in town," i said, "and i dig the acceleration. but i can't deal with those forward controls -- can't y'all adjust the shifter so i don't hafta tear my achilles' tendon to notch it up?"

"not really," he said. "just do more stretches. nobody else has a problem with it."

he was not winning my sale.

"so there's no option to relocate the pegs a bit, or bring the shifter down a quarter of a degree? come on, i'm sure it's possible."

now he was irritated. "no. this is the closest setting for the pegs. don't get hung up on trying to get a perfect bike, man. you'd be getting a ducati."

unfortunately, i laughed.

and i did not buy an xdiavel.
    Benduro and ErGuss like this.
  16. 4uuCtV

4uuCtV ...

Oddometer:
    I only have the 2017 models available as we have sold our last 2016.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Why not get Diavel? It has mid controls.
  18. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Now you done it!!! My first new car was a 1986 VW Cabriolet (with A/C) in graphite.. Turned 30 and sold it to buy a corvette. Stupid move on my part (but a hell of a lot of fun). Still miss that car.
  19. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    That one is a 1992 Wolfsburg, air, power windows etc. Still have it in my garage with less than 110,000 miles on it. Was buying it in that picture for $1,800 with only 80,000 miles on it.
  20. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Had they gone to power top by then? I had no power windows but I was amazed to find how many people bought them without A/C.