Stupid things heard from sales people

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeardedBlunder, Nov 16, 2016.

1. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I recently had my bike totaled (hit while parked in front of the house...hit and run).... anyway, it was time to shop for a new bike and the local shop has a 2016 1200GSA (low miles) that I was interested in. So I spoke with the sales man and looked at the bike. I told him that I would call in the next day or two when I received the check from the insurance company.

Now at this point I had told him that I am not big on haggling, that I had been a loyal customer of theirs for well over a decade (three different bikes) and just to give me a fair deal. Of course I was reassured that absolutely they could do that.

So two days later I called, the bike was still available, so I asked what kind of deal could they do?
    He proceeded to tell me that the best they could do would be to knock $500 off of the $22K asking price. I pointed out that the bike had $1000 worth of drop damage and was a used bike.

He assured me that it would sell at that price. So I simply said that I'm sure it eventually would but had not in the last 2 months it was there and would not to me... oh and they just lost a loyal customer.

Went to the other shop in town that weekend and bought a new bike... love the bike and had a stress free deal. (BTW the shop I bought from has been known to be overpriced... but I felt like I received a great deal)
    TT RDHS, SmittyBlackstone and bobw like this.
  2. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    No it was a manual Top. I replace the original a couple years ago with a top quality Canvas top. Has the leather interior and all the bells and whistles for one of those. 1993 was the last year of the square body and they continue to be worth more than the newer ones and going up in value. I have been offered over $4,000 for mine.
    atomicalex and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    And at the end of the day how you feel is all that really matters.
    TT RDHS and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who, in their right mind, would buy a used bike for the price of a new one? I know there are stupid people out there but I don't think too many of them have an extra 20 large floating around.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    A fully loaded GSA can cost thousands more than $22,000. Still overpriced for a dropped used one though.
    SmittyBlackstone and bmac like this.
  6. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    It amazes me what dealers want for a, one, two, or three year old, Toyota. New Toyotas are usually cheaper. It further amazes me what people will pay a dealer for a new, or used vehicle. Often people make a poor deal on the purchase price, then compound the problem with financing choices.

Around 1993 I purchased a fully loaded, sunroof power everything, Toyota P/U. It was an extremely rare vehicle with the power mirrors, windows back then. It was year end close out season. I had to have my paint and interior colors. I drove all over Los Angeles trying to find my vehicle. I made my first low ball offer to a dealer near Pasadena. They told me to leave the lot "These are Toyotas. We don't sell them for that".
    After visiting a couple more dealers I found the second identical copy of my truck. Damn, it was a dealer much closer to my house. I made the same offer... Sign here and drive it home.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you do it yourself? If you don't have the Braino/doubleA manual, LMK and I will send you a copy. It is a very quick job if you don't have to do the headliner. The headliner is a huge PITA.

I miss my old Rabbit Convertible. It died of cabby rot, the previous owners did not disclose and I only found it when I needed to do the rear axle bushings. The axle was brazed to what was left of the studs. I was able to replace the studs, but in the process found out how bad the unitbody actually was. I cried. That car was everything the Golf platform promised and a whole lot more. I loved mine.
    Benduro and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    I had the top done at a local shop. My car has never seen winters or the coast, no salt and is almost as solid as the day it was new in that regard.
  9. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Houston TX looking at sportbikes at SW Mancuso for at least 10 minutes and Mr Salesman walks up.

SM: Looking for anything in particular?
    ME: Not really just in town for the race
    SM: What race?
    ME: The Motogp race! (Smiling with an -Of Course- look and big smile on my face)
    SM: You race in Motogp?
    ME: Goodbye
  10. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Guessing that was sarcasm.
  11. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    FTFY
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be worth more than a new one since it has adventure cred from being dropped. ;)
  13. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you are looking to buy a used bike - I'll throw that thing down the road hard enough to double the original MSRP. :lol3
    240ADV, Benduro, kendives and 4 others like this.
  14. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bike related, but dumb anyway you slice it...

Sent to get breakfast burritos by the wife

Went into a place that opened today @ 10:30 am.

Asked for Breakfast burrito

Counter girl, " I'm sorry we stop serving breakfast @ 10:30 "

Me....inside my head "What the hell".

Me outloud, " So you don't serve breakfast today?"

Counter Girl " Only until 10:30 "

I turned around and left.
    240ADV, Macho Man2 and TT RDHS like this.
  15. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buying my 1st truck, the salesman says, "It has everything!"
    my Dad says to the sales man,
    "Has it got dual dipsticks and overhead floormats?"
    "Yuuup, Yup everything..."
    Off to the next dealer.

Allrpm.
  16. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and can you believe it, even with my $20M factory contract I still have to shop for my own bike. Crazy, eh?
  17. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds typical.

I live in Kentucky and 99.99% of the people here have no idea who Nicky Hayden is.
  19. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Isn't that a new line of Bourbon?
    rd400racer likes this.
  20. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get that, but this wasn't a exactly Renaissance festival either. Know your product, at least if you expect to be any good at selling it.