Stupid trials question thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One handed riding...

Quite a lot of my motogymkhana training was done one handed, including hard braking...... Interesting to say the least.

It certainly gets your body weight central and balanced, even a 200kg+ bike responds well when the confidence develops.
    Buschog likes this.
  2. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    one handed motogymkhana - video please :-)
    Huzband, Harvey Krumpet and sceep like this.
  3. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Yer dreamin!

Mind you, it would help with insomnia.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    It's super hard. Be careful and once you get it on flat ground, introduce some bumps. Little insignificant downs turn into :yikes moments real quick!

I know a lot of guys don't want to try it but hey, Ray Peters will charge you a couple hundred bucks/day for training and you will do that for 1/2 of it.
    Huzband, riabma77, Brewtus and 2 others like this.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a vintage trials school with Ray's Dad. I was too good riding one handed, as Rich Lafferty had always made us do slaloms one handed on our enduro bikes... so Carl made me ride one handed with my throttle hand off. Good thing my Fantic 300 had a locomotive size flywheel!
    oldtrialer, Huzband, Gordy and 4 others like this.
  6. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try the next time. Only problem, I don't have flat ground. It's going to be interesting...
    Huzband, Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  7. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've a stupid trials question.
    Do trials manufacturers measure the maximum lean angle?
    A cop said his harley had a lean angle of 33deg.
    I asked him if he meant while it was on the stand.
    He said that's when the floor boards scrape.
    Anyway, are there measurements as to when the peg is dragging the ground but the bike is still in control as a feature in trials models?
    With 45 being max and police bikes at 33, I'd guess most trials bikes lean no more than 36 degrees.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don`t know where you got 45, I`ve been around 55 before. It is on a video around here somewhere.
    Huzband and sceep like this.
  9. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah.. I'd guess more than 45* before the peg folds, then a bunch more before the frame hits the ground. Bars are the limiter probably. All my angle finders are at my dads or i'd put one on to check.

edit: sanity check, looking at my bike the peg is damn close to the centerline of the wheels. Geometry says around 45* lean the peg will contact the ground. (but then it folds, you lift a leg and keep leaning). On a planar surface, ignoring the folding peg, your two points of contact are the bars and the rear tire.
    slicktop likes this.
  10. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Riding one handed is much to easy and you will not gain any surplus improvements.

Instead riding with your arms crossed so you use the right hand for the left end of the handle bar and the left for the right, that's where the challenge really starts if you can manage a beginner section you are my personal hero believe me.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The actual idea, is learning to turn with peg pressure.
    Just like most riders do not grasp the concept of turning at speed, it is just opposite of what the brain thinks. Pressure on the right bar to turn right. etc.
    MATTY, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  12. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did warm up some last night one handed. I could instantly feel how far off my stance had been. It was very awkward at first, then I felt myself bend a bit more at the knees, my back flattened out and I was comfortable.

I've been in the wrong position for so long, I'll have to work at this a while. My lower back was unhappy after 45 minutes or so of riding. I think that means I'm still to far forward and compensating with my back.
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Kettle bell swings will help with that. Having really good core & back strength goes a long way.
    Buschog likes this.
  14. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's the point or benefit to ride with arms crossed.
  15. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:

Its almost impossible to train your mind to steer like that. if you cross your arms you can still use your controls (throttle, clutch, brake) but you will HAVE to steer with your feet.

At least, thats my guess...
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    There is no point in that that I can tell. It is just a circus trick. We have enough problems controlling the bikes as is without trying "stunts".
  17. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    It is an "silly" answer to a not such a really big problem an should just keep in mind that steering is mostly nearly irrelevant.
    What is relevant is weight distribution and control of engine and brakes. If you press top much weight into the handlebar you do wrong weight distribution.

To anyone that really wants to know all effects also the physis behind it I recommend the book from Felix Krahnstöver, the only one that tells everything about trials riding with an physcal explication and stand still pictures of a complete movement which an explanation to at which time you should do what.

To steering and grips you just holt the and that even loose!
    Harvey Krumpet and slicktop like this.
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I can tell if I have had a good day or a bad day by what hurts in the evening.

A bad day, my neck and shoulders hurt, I crash a lot, a good day my legs, ass and lower back hurt - I crash less.
  19. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did some one handed riding today. I'm not trying the crossover thing.... my wrists don't bend that way! :photog
  20. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeh , ... I can see that .