Stupid trials question thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a few with hand. Straight lines going thru a few bumps. I was able to make a few wide turns going down. I think climbing would much harder without the clutch, and I didn't try it.

I think is great exercise for body position, since you cannot apply any pressure on the handlebar.
  2. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Due to a transmission disaster, I'm doing an overhaul on my 16 Evo. Is there a suggested way to clean out the carbon/oil buildup in the exhaust? I thought about soaking it with a solvent (but that's a lot of solvent to displace the pipe and silencer). I've heard rumors of lighting it on fire and letting it burn out. Comparing the weight of a new muffler with mine, I'll bet there's more than a pound of deposits in there...

What advice does the collective have?
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Buy a four stroke.... :D

:hide

:wave
    LemmeTry, grizCP, oldtrialer and 5 others like this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this recently on our Sherco muffler that has permanent packing. It was significantly lighter when done. Be careful on temps, the aluminum got soft on me at one point.

MATTY likes this.
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:

Then he'll have 16 lbs of unnecessary crap to haul around. :D

:hide

:wave
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it my 125 sherco had a slightly buckled pree tail pipe section, down to it going soft . Annoying and it just went not much warning at all. I will straighten it one day. Well i might. :lol2
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bother. Won't make a difference unless the appearance bothers you.
    MATTY likes this.
  8. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    :lol2Yes Its ok. Adds character. Custom personalisation. :lol2
    Brewtus and Huzband like this.
  9. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer:
    Griz - here's what I do on my '15 Evo:
    I removed the can after the header (and only dealt with that end of it)
    Disassemble, remove the packing - end cap comes off the Evo (not the case with all brands). Getting the spark arrester off was the toughest part.
    Scrape out any big deposits
    Spray degreaser into the open end of the muffler, hose it out after soaking
    I left the packing in solvent overnight, then wrung it out and sprayed it off. New packing would be easier, but I reused it.
    Things were pretty clean at the end of this, hope that helps.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, burning pipes is the way to go if it's STEEL.
    Brewtus likes this.
  11. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Caustic soda & water works on the older steel exhausts with wire and baffle pipes.
  12. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in how much quieter this makes an exhaust.

My TRS is so much noisier than when new and it annoys me (and others around me). It was ok for the first 150 hrs or so but at 240 hrs it's now horrible.

I have replaces rear silencer packing which helps a bit (have tried different packing materials and tightness of packing but that makes little difference.
    I use Motul 710 at 90/1 mix.

Do I need to buy a new exhaust, just put up with the noise or is there a fix?
  13. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Clean it out as above, I tried a few different packings.
    First on the sherco i used silent sport, it was real quiet to start with, but soon sludged up and it seemed to be a condensation " a steamer" Maker never did work out why that was i just put it down to cold weather here.
    I rebuilt the system on an RTX which has a big chamber and a tail silencer and baffle section. i did use silent sport or what was left of it from the sherco, in the tail section. But i got some FMF stuff for the big chamber and it worked pretty good. I will do the Sherco again but this time ill use FMF its not as quiet as the silent sport in my opinion, but its layers are less sludgy if you get me.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t know much about the TRS muffler but this Sherco muffler has “lifetime” packing in it. It needs to be cut open to repack it. The exhaust was loud and had a loud crack to it. This lightened the muffler up a good bit and it is quiet again. The bike is 15 years old and I am sure this was the first time. The head pipe also had significant build up. A laser thermometer might be good to use, monitor temps and stay below the aluminum melting point.
    Takataka likes this.
  15. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    What about the Ti factory pipes?
  16. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Titanium has a higher melting point than steel. I'm not sure if it glows red though as a warning like steel does..
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a few dents in mine that I have been meaning to repair. To burn a pipe out you start it with a torch and then just feed it oxygen. The trouble is it could get way from you depending how much carbon is really in the pipe. The other problem is what color is the TI going to be when done. Go ahead and let me know how it goes. The bike does not run any how. By the way that was not a transmission disaster!! :imaposer
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of things heating up.

Any suggestions on how to fix a bent alloy gear lever without me snapping it?

Pretty sure it's cast, el cheapo on my GG Randonee.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can heat it were you bend but it will be soft and bend easy after that.
  20. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Secret with straightening that lever, is not to get it too hot, heat it stay in contact and as soon as it gives get the heat away cool it off.
    I watched Bill Morris a old Side car racer friend back in the 1970s straighten a Alloy brake lever in a Rear set by Clamping two welding clamps on the lever and effectively short circuiting the whole thing with a cheap air cooled arc welder the lever went soft as and he straightened it in two seconds. Did not even look to be hot to me, i dont think you need much heat at all . He was a character but never lend him your hobby welder.and i am not sure its a good idea to try and emulate him for a second. Just heat it up and be gentle it will bend back fine but if you over heat it you might find its soft as junglejeff mentioned.
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.