1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid trials question thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    What defines a disaster if replacing the case (both sides) and input shaft doesn't? I guess it could have been way worse if this happened in the Ute Cup halfway through the loop. I was 30 feet from my garage when it happened, so I'm pretty lucky there.
    Mike D likes this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was more like this.
    :dhorse:bash:doh
  3. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was still working as a toolmaker we used the soap method for annealing aluminium/aluminum alloys
    http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat3.htm

I'm going to do some tests with scrap to see how close to melting point the soap turns. Maybe it will work as a warning when burning out gummed up exhausts.
    jonnyc21 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  4. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    This would probably work really well, but you need to be careful. Caustic soda is sodium hydroxide, AKA lye, and it can dissolve aluminum. Just be careful.

You can buy sodium hydroxide in solution as Super Clean at Walmart. It's useful, but don't use it on your motorcycles.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200423_165116.jpg on the fantic I corked it up and filled it almost full with diesel fuel.The fuel desolved much of the spooge in the packing and then I rinsed out with water a few times.The diesel pulled a lot of the oil caught in packing out and when done pipe was quite a bit lighter. Did not want to chance using heat on a hard to get pipe.
    Brewtus, GTC, Huzband and 3 others like this.