Stupid trials question thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a logistics problem to put the stand on the chain side. I rarely even use the stand, but I can easily deploy it by hand, and kick it up with my foot, it's just remembering to put the stand up when I can't see it from the left side.
  2. LSMick

LSMick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After years of practice putting the stand up on the left side, I just find it weird. I have even ridden off with it down.

Mounting a motorcycle goes back to the horse days of mounting on the left side. Don't ask me why, it just is. I also had horses and was taught to get up on the left side.

So all my bikes lean to one side but this little thing. Kind of a little stand out with a big attitude. :evil

Just wondered if it's a European thing or a logical solution.
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I quit worrying about such things when they started putting the shifter on the wrong side instead of the right side.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shifter/Brake either way press it down and the bike slows.:huh
  5. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Another noob question coming atcha...

When fitting a new chain for trials - cutting links - should you error on the side of a longer wheelbase or shorter? On trail bikes I've always run the shortest chain I can, but is the same with trials?
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    First off error long or else you will need more master links. You can always leave it long for the first ride to get that initial stretch and the cut it. But for your question short is better. O-rings are useless on a trials bike.
  7. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob - you preempted another dumb question. I am digging on the price of regular 520 chains. Cheaper than my f'n mountain bike chains. Something is just plain wrong with that.

PS - I gotta make sure I've got a decent chain... if I'm gonna drive all the way down to NM this weekend! :D
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a cheap one and replace often. I go through two -three chains per set of sprockets on trials bikes. Hear the groans from the crowd.:eek1:huh:rofl Trials ain`t nothing like them other piles of shite.:deal:lol3
  9. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :clap
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

:deal
  11. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Yes. More or less. You can run a long tI'm on a 520 chain, and you will want space for stretch. With the small sprockets and short swingarm, a link makes a huge difference. I would get a normal 520 non o-ring chain. I like the renthals. The iris chains break.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Groan

Sprockets just don't wear and chains are cheap.
    I usually sell the bike before the the sprockets need changing. Non existent sprocket wear is another little known aspect of our relatively cheap sport.
    Hmmmmm. Maybe that's why tires are starting to cost so much........we don't buy enough of them!!
  14. Scubatoe

Scubatoe Retired trained monkey

Oddometer:
    Noob question.

Just when I was starting to get the hang of covering the rear brake in wheelies, I came across one of the RYP videos about foot position on the pegs. Found it makes a world of difference in getting the front wheel up riding on the balls vice arch, but having trouble getting the brake covered now.

Do you just move your foot after bouncing the front? That seems like a whole nother, nother level of balance and coordination.

This shit is hard...
  15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    It depends, when bringin the front up I pull my foot back and leve the tow on the brake. Its more about a bit of body movement than just foot position. I also have found that having the lever maybe a 1/32" above the peddle works well for me, any higher and I didn't like it.

I only move back to the ball of my foot for things like a hill climb when I want to keep my back tire traction high but don't need the brakes.

Keep at it you will find your zen zone soon! :thumb
  16. no2tracks

no2tracks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I picked up a new to me 11 GasGas txt pro and several friends have told me to use Elf 10w30 to soften the grab of the clutch. But Elf is no longer in the US, so what is a suitable oil that allows a bit of slip in the clutch?
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Actually ELF is in the US they just don't make the HTX740 any more so us Montesa 315R and 4RT owners have to find something else.

As for oils any good thin 0-30 type equivalent should work quite well in a Gas Gas clutch. I wanted a little more progressive grab in my wifes TXT pro 125 so am running Maxima Extra Light 75w and it works quite well for her.

As for oil there is a lot of opinions on it... If it was me I would first bleed and adjust the clutch, to be sure it isn't part of your problem. Then you can also find some of the threads on clutch oil and figure out what oil you really want to run, and/or adjust the clutch pack (change plate thicknesses etc.)

Good luck.
  18. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    What was Bill running in it? And what were you running in the Sherco?
  19. no2tracks

no2tracks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno what Bill has in it. Sherc has Maxima MTL 75 xtra light.
  20. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Here's my own dumb questions related to your question...

My Techno was having some issues with excessive clutch drag (which I would also describe as really slow engagement) and MTL fixed that right up. But, if I understand your question, you are saying you want it to engage less abruptly... or kind of the opposite, right?

Would this be an trans oil question or clutch adjustment (clean fluid in the master and lever adjustment)?