1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid trials question thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    No, yes and yes. I am saying that you should be on the arch of your foot, your right foot needs to "cover" the brake at all times, you lift your foot to change gear, watch some youtube vids...

Our club has a 5 year old, that rides a push bike imatating trials riders (he'll probably be expert soon, lol) and you should see him on that pushbike, "air" kick'starts it, then "air" shifts gears about 5 times... there was a vid somewhere. I'm just mentioning this because any observation of the good riders like youtube or anything, it is obvious that the young ones get it.

Now if you are just sitting on the bike like a trial 70 and riding trails and stuff, you might want/need to modify it somehow.
  2. 1962siia

1962siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. It also seems I need to move my feet away from the frame from all the videos I've been watching. Lots of stuff to learn here and unlearn it seems. I really need some instruction to break my bad habits, but thats been the story of my riding career in the last few years, so I'm ready to listen and why I bought the bike in the first place. Thanks again all.
  3. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Do you know roughly what you get per mile and go that route based on fuel? Makes sense but I have no idea on mine. Probably could figure it out on a ride with a friend who has an odo.

I need to hit my yamaha dealer and get a maintenance schedule for this motor too. Thanks.
  4. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're kind of over thinking this. :) There is no hard and fast rule about oil changes, you have to determine what you need based on how you ride. If you ride for several hours on a wet day, slipping the clutch constantly, I'd change the oil. If it's dry and you are putting around praticing you might go ten rides and be fine. I would suggest that you put a couple rides on the bike and change the oil. If it's looks like it did going in you know that much riding is ok. Leave it longer next time. Change it several times and you will familiar with what your bike needs. I personally change mine frequently. I run ATF in one bike and Honda 5-30 in the other, cheap insurance in my opinion. Have fun!
  5. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my reading, some brands are quite sensitive to transmission fluid.
    Pittbull likes this.
  6. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on. I have a '13 and '15 Sherco 250 and the 13 had clutch drag with everything but ATF so I run the $3.00 cheap stuff and it works great in that bike. (The wife likes the clutch feel.) The 15 works best with Honda 5w-30 because it has a different clutch than the 13.
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    O
    Sorry didn't see it in this thread but you just picked up the Yamaha 4T trials bike right?

If so most of the 4T's have an oil filter and about a 15 to 30 hour recommend change time from what I have seen. So my vote is an hour meter as it is the easy call but it's all about recommended to real world mileage witch may vary, so in the end check the service manual and compare. In the end it's condition of the oil that is the real story.
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Main thing is, "your bike" costs $xxxx.xx (represented int USD format) oil costs $x.xx, per quart, my bike takes like what, half a quart...

I have a sight glass on the gasgas, when it looks DIRTY at all, or I feel like I have probably rode it for 10 hours, I change the oil. I used to have to change the oil once a month, riding and practicing a lot. now I hardly ride much, so oil change is by no means an "expense" that we skimp on. If I dont do the work myself, the fuel used to deliver the bike to a mechanic, is more than a case of synthetic yamalube...

so I never feel bad about wasting a buck or 3 on changing the oil too "soon." Just sayin
  9. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    I agree with this completely. Remember I'm dealing with a 4t so there is more to it than oil changes. Many people have replied to my question regarding oil changes and my initial question (in my mind any way) was regarding maintenance like valve adjustment which looks like it will be interesting the way they crammed the motor in this frame. I certainly won't want to do it more than necessary from the looks of it. Oil changes will be every few rides, valves maybe once a year or so but I think an hour meter might be nice to have and I at least want to see what Yamaha recommends the service intervals are for this engine.

Thanks for all the input folks.

As a side note if we don't get rained out I'm going to get out and ride this afternoon with some local trials riders on a 2 acre practice set up. Looking forward to some instruction!
  10. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to say I change the oil about every 2 gallons of gas. Which when I type it sounds excessive. But as mentioned, oil is pretty cheap especially when it uses about half a quart per change. When I got the bike from the dealer I asked what to run, cheap ATF.

Along those same lines I also run race gas. I go through a half gallon a weekend, usually less. Race gas is available at the pump nearby. For less than what most of my co-workers spend on a morning coffee I can run race gas instead of pump gas. Don't have to deal with different seasonal blends or EPA additives in the fuel. I can also let the gas sit for several months without additives. Almost run AV-gas but it is less convient to get into the airport. Extra couple bucks to get race gas at the pump is easier (unless I need to fill the boat at which point $2 a gallon less for AV-gas is worth the hassle.
  11. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have found an 87 Honda Reflex, curious whether this would make a good 1st trials bike. Wonder whether parts are still available, those types of things.
  13. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Lots of information in this forum on the Reflex. My personal summary is that it's a fun play and trail type trials bike but not a first choice for any level of competition. The newer bikes are lighter and more capable, most people (not all) I have talked to end up wishing they had gone with a newer or more vintage classic bike inted of a Reflex.

Hope hat helps.
  14. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I just bought one a week ago....I'll be interested in response.

I can say vs my XT500 and my ZRX1100 it is VERY light!!!
  15. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I just put one on my bike. It's a cheap chinese one I found on amazon.

I got a long for a long time without one. I like having the meter. If you want one, get one.
  16. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    So my bike (2008 SCORPA SY250F) doesnt have a spark arrestor. It has two exhaust openings in the muffler. The two openings are differnt sizes coming out of the same chamber and both have cosmetic oval tubes over them to make them look symetrical. I was thinking to add a spark arrester I could cut off and plug the small side and enlarge the other one so the same amount of exhaust would flow and add an aftermarket spark arrestor to the new larger opening.

Any advice on this gladly taken. I went to ride at my first event but my bike wouldn't pass tech because of the exhaust. Several folks suggested screen with hose clamps but the course marshall wouldn't allow it, and I dont want to be that guy who starts a fire!

I ended up checking a section and learned alot, but hoping to ride in the next one so want to get this handled asap. Thanks.

[​IMG]
  17. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    In addition to an answer for how to proceed for a spark arrestor, I am curious for an explanation of this design... why the different tube shapes? I may be giving small companies too much credit, but it seems like anything designed has to have be analyzed by an engineer.... so there must be a reason right?
  18. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    There is probably a reason and I thought maybe there were separate chambers but I confirmed that isn't the case. I also saw another one of these bikes with only one exhaust port so I assume my plan is reasonable but just thought I'd ask here in case someone had a better idea.
  19. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's going to be a tough one. I suggest you contact both RYP and Lewisport and see if they can suggest a solution. I doubt you have enough tire clearance to add very much externally to the exhaust.
    Unfortunately spark arrestors are a unique USA item so you're not likely to get much help from other countries.
    It is, or was, possible to have a spark arrestor certified by the USDA (I believe there testing facility is in San Dimas, CA), but I don't imagine that's likely to be a quick, or simple project.
    I'm sure that securely attaching screen that meets USDA specs would make an adequate arrestor.
  20. 1962siia

Oddometer:

I just spoke to lewisport and ordered a viper spark arrestor. They said the viper will mount to 1.25" diameter sleeve so I'm going to just go for it. The amount of exhaust port space will be larger than the two small existing ones but hopefully that will make up for the restriction of the screen. Thanks for the tip about tire clearance. I will take that into account when I cut the new piece of tubing.