Sturgis on BMW = bad idea?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ride on joe, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ride on joe

ride on joe More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer:
    Heading up north with a group on a few BMWs this summer. has anyone gone to the Sturgis Rally on a BMW? Are there lots of other bikes up there? You always hear about harleys, but that is about it. I have always wanted to check it out....
  2. Lafitte

Lafitte on the lake

Oddometer:
    been there twice (on Harleys).. 95 & 97
    lots of bikes....all kinds
    saw the elephant...
    you should go see it also.....
  3. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    I went on a ZX-6R. Lotsa different bikes. You're gonna be walkin' most of the time anyway. The BMW factory guys were there the year I went (2002). Lotsa nice demo rides.
  4. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine, do it and have fun.

I've always done it on Harleys, but you see plenty of other brands there. Besides if you ride you'll be part of the elite group that doesn't trailer in thier bike so you'll automatically get some respect:wink:.

It's been over ten years since I've been out there, as it was turning into more of a Disneyland experience.......very tame.

But still the BlacK Hills makes for some great riding, an you should go at least once just to see a ralley that takes over an entire state, and portions of others. I would usually get there a few days early for some decent riding an leave by Tues of Ralley week as the roads are just clogged with to many riders with bad judgement.

If you want to go I wouldn't think twice about riding ANY bike. Heck some folks show up in a Winnebago and no bike and it's not an issue.
  5. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    It's mostly Harleys, but big deal.
    My first time was on a Kawasaki GPZ. 2nd time on a Triump Speed Triple. After going you would feel better being On a bike other than Harley. Being individual and not having a copy of a million other bikes.
    If I go again, I want to take a long haul Honda XR 650.
  6. ride on joe

ride on joe More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer:
    yea.. we are going to trailer the gs up there, put on all the gear, put some mud on the bikes, then ride into town:rofl ....
  7. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:
    Don't be a pussy. Get up there, and kick some Harley ass!

(actually, I'd park your bike, get a Sturgis T-shirt and try to blend in):lol3

I don't think you'll have any problems actually. I went. If you don't like loud Harleys though, I'd take earplugs.

[​IMG]
  8. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

No, that would be for an ADV rally.

:hide

Hell, my sister and her SO showed up at Sturgis in a Honda Accord and enjoyed it.
  9. Mr Farkle

Mr Farkle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two years ago, I went with three friends; all of us on yellow BMWs. I was wondering the same thing and, more than anything, people were drawn to us and were asking questions probably because our bikes were different than the other thousands of cruisers.

I was the only one in our group on a GS but still managed to break away several times to kick up some dirt in the Badlands and the many gravel and dirt roads in the area south and west of Deadwood.

I agree with Desert Dave. It's pretty tame in most places. The main strip in Sturgis has a lot of interesting bikes and a larger number of places to spend your money. We tired of that scene pretty quickly but enjoyed three days of riding around the area.

Have fun!
  10. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:
    +1 Plenty of opportunities for DS riding.
  11. willnevergrowup

willnevergrowup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been going every year since 1993...well except 1995...always took a Harley Electra Glide. This year I am taking my KTM 950 so I can ride on some less busy roads. All bike are welcome and it is nice to see something different than the rest.

I stay at the Elkview Campgound...food...beer...hot showers and some what clean bathrooms...depending on when you get there. Usually got room by us and you would be more than welcome..then I would have someone to go check out the hills with me.

Peter stopped by on his way home last year!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254821
  12. GT-Jim

GT-Jim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being from South Dakota, I have been there many times over the past 30 years on all brands of Japanese bikes and a few Harleys and BMWs. The most fun I had was last year when my wife and I were there on our black/yellow ADV and I parked it right in the middle of all of the chrome on main street Hill City (the new Sturgis) and sat back and watched the reaction. A lot of people stopped to take a look at the strange beast towering above the low riders and choppers.

Enjoy the rally for what it is, a spectical of people and noise. Then get on the logging roads and fire trails and enjoy the scenery and solitude.
  13. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    Ya know, if this gets back to HD, heads are gonna roll.

Ya just said that folks that DON'T ride Harleys are more individuals.

(Snicker).
  14. elgordo

elgordo El Gordo

Oddometer:
    Just don't wear pink chaps with gold lamea fringe and you should be fine. :rayof
  15. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Final Answer!!!! Do any of you ADVenturers think that Mr. StrikingViking would ask that question???
  16. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    when I used to go I stayed at a place called Whispering Pines Campground If I remember right. One part was filled with BMWs and the factory put on a barbeque.
  17. ScubaMoto

ScubaMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my KLR650 through Sturgis in 2007 and I probably turned more heads because I was wearing all my gear (had to be well over 90 degrees that day) than I did because I wasn't on a Harley. Maybe I didn't hear the shouts of "get a real bike" cause of my full face helmet that was securely attached to my head. :norton

[rant on:]

I can't believe the lack of protective gear on some of those riders. The worst I saw was a guy wearing absolutley nothing but a pair of ratty jean shorts and boots. That as I was passing him out on I-90 while I was on my way back into Rapid City. :D

[rant off:]

I did actually see a couple other KLRs and a DR650 in the Black Hills. Didn't actually see any BMWs but then I was there for one weekend so I'm sure there were many bikes (including a few BMWs) I didn't see. The important thing is that you're on 2 wheels.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    The Black Hills are great. Can't imagine why anyone would want to get within 500 miles of them during Sturgis though:huh :puke2
  19. motor275

motor275 All over the World

Oddometer:
    Hey whats wrong with those chaps ???? They're a main item in certain sections of Bourbon Street:rofl :rofl :rofl
  20. shocker

shocker Sir Flips-Alots Friend

Oddometer:
    I have been twice and both on sport bikes. Didnt have a problem, but its very very very very very very crowded and very boring.

HOWEVER...the Black Hills, Bad Lands, Needles Hiway, Custer Park, Dead Wood, Hill City, Mount Rushmore and all the cool hiways are why you should go. Problem is all the hotels are booked solid during Sturgis. Go the week after and have fun...without Sturgis