Sturgis Rally 2012

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dirtybike, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although I go to Laconia and Daytona during bike week each year, I don't really hang out in the towns. I'll go to the events for maybe one day to check out the bikes, go to the races, and go riding.
    That being said, a few friends are going to Sturgis this year for bike week. I've never been to Sturgis, so I'm tempted to ride out for a few days. With Lynyrd Skynrd playing at the Buffalo Chip, I figure to camp there for a couple of nights so I can drink my beer and watch the band.

So, on to the question - How bad is the Buffalo Chip campground? Are there quiet(er) areas where I can expect less assholishness and get some sleep?

The group of friends (mostly members of a club) will be riding out the week before and spending most of the week there. I expect that they will either rent a house or get hotel rooms. I'm on a low budget, so will cheap hotel on the ride, and camp when I'm there.
    My loose and tentative plan is to leave home (NY) on Monday or Tuesday and ride three days to arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I'll go to Sturgis for a day, and hook up with the guys for some riding/sightseeing. After the weekend, I'll take a roundabout route to arrive in Indianapolis for the MotoGP (Friday-Sunday). Hang out at Indy until Sunday, then Monday I'll ride home to NY.

Wow, did I digress! Anyhow, any experience with the Buffalo Chip Campground during bike week?
  2. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sturgis is a shit hole full of posers and drunks. I've been and won't be going back. That's my two cents on the place!
  3. maxscycle

maxscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you went once and gave up.
    Like a restaurant, every so often a bad meal gets served. Cooks have an off day.
    I have been to sturgis 6 or 7 times.
    The first time, I got married there.
    The black hills are some of the best roads around.
    The best part about it, is the fact that Sturgis has a BMW dealer in town.
    The harley dealer is technically 45 miles south in rapid city. So sturgis doesn't exist for the harley's, it exist for the BMW's. YMMV
    max
  4. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
    I don't think you are going to get much sleep at the campground.

You may want to try and rent a dorm room at Black Hills State University. This was a fairy inexpensive place to stay..and it's quiet. The only issue is no air conditioning..I think they supply fans.

I would also inquire about pitching a tent in someones back yard.

I've been to Sturgis once. I enjoyed the experience. It was very crowded the year I went..over 600,000 people. I only went into downtown Sturgis twice..once during the day and once at night. The rest of the time I rode and took in the local attractions..there is no shortage of things to see and do.

If you go..take in the night lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore..and bring gear for both hot and cold weather..I experienced both the week I was there...
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It's a very temoprary life style somebody can pretend to, for a very short time.
  6. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, the riding and scenery surrounding the area is awesome......as long as you don't mind sharing it with all the posers. Sturgis is great if you're into crowds.....big F*(# crowds. Have fun. :D
  7. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    What Hank left out is it's also the center of the universe for the worlds ugliest exibitionists and candy ass trailer queens.

On the other hand there are some babes to be found. There is also a shitload of unskilled riders on some crowded technical roads.

Loud, drunk and fun. But the guys that ride 500 miles a year scare me.
  8. dirtybike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I expect the crowds. I have found at Daytona and Laconia that the nicest bikes, customs and antiques, are frequently displayed during the day when the town's main streets are less crowded. The good part is that I'll only be there for a long weekend, then I'll wander toward Indy. Maybe a day or two "crowd-less" in the area.
    Anyhow, what I was really wondering was if the Buffalo Chip Campground was a decent place to stay, if there were areas where semi-normal people could relax, or is it completely overcrowded and crazy? Might be better off finding a campground 50-100 miles away, for my one visit in to the town?
  9. dirtybike

Oddometer:
    Well, Buzzard, you make it sound like a train wreck. Impossible not to look!
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Custer KOA last year. It's a ways from Sturgis, but quiet. It's also very near Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse and Jewel Caves. I was there the week before bike week. The only time I went to bike week was in 1977. Only 50,000 people then. Still crowded and no way to get sleep. If you're a Marlon Brando wannabee, that's where you go. Not my cup of tea, even when I was younger.
  11. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    I go to the rally every year. Its a fun place to play for the week and see some great craftmanship in bike building, scantily clad women, and some fun events.

The rides around sturgis are unbelievable but you must be prepared for it to be busy as hell.

The Chip? Well sleep you will not be getting. Fun times and some interesting sights you will see, but sadly sleep no. Forget about the concerts, they suck, they are only about an hour n a half and the performers are about as drunk as everyone else.

We stay at hog heaven campground every year. Clean, quiet, and the best thing very close to downtown. Its up by the oval tract and tucked into the trees in the cool air.

There are so many really nice rides, needles highway, spearfish canyon and the badlands to name a few. All with riders that are there for the same reason. Deadwood's not bad either.

As for the guys that say it sucks? Well, I spose some parts do, there is LOTS of people, usually hot and predominantly american made bikes. However, bikes of all shapes and sizes can be seen and most everyone is just out to have fun. Have yet to have a bad experience and have met some amazing people. PM me if you want more info or to meet up when you there for a beer.

MTV
  12. xbeau12x

xbeau12x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in the area. Been in Sturgis since 1990. I like the rally. I go now to look at bikes. It's cool going from a quiet town of 6K to 500k. The change is kind of cool. I love the area. Riding around here is absolutely amazing. I don't ride that much during the rally though. I have an 02 Roadstar/air cooled. I use common sense in 90+ heat sitting in traffic :) Someone mentioned to bring all the weather gear. They are right! I bet every year there is a hail storm just reserved for the rally. I was caught on my XB12S in a hail storm where the hail stones were softball size! Nothing hit my bike, I was AGATT and got hit right in the kidney! Left a huge welt and felt like I got into a bar brawl. Lucky bike I say. It's hilarious seeing those raked out choppers and they person riding them is trying to look cool of course and has on a tank top or not shirt and it starts to hail. ouch! If you don't like lots of people it's just not for you. It's a great place to meet people from all over the world. Not many small towns get that option. Sure the town is all parking lots and gas stations but it's a cool place to grow up. Buffalo chip you will not sleep. I seen midgets fighting, guys wrecking a full dresser, knife fights, lesbian sex in public (woo hoo) Naked people of all kinds you name it. A little Mad Max but just right for a biker!! I live in the area and have a pretty good size yard! Hit me up if your coming this way. I'm 30 miles from Sturgis now. Nice and quiet even during the rally.
  13. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    The Sturgis area has some great riding, both on road and off. I have been there during the Rally and other times, and I would not go back during the Rally. Too man drunk inexperienced bikers, too load, crowded, etc. Uh-oh, maybe I'm getting old! :huh
  14. lazyguy

lazyguy Lawrence of Schnecksvilla

Oddometer:
    I stopped by on my way back from Alaska in 08. Stayed about 10 mi out of town and only went in town during the day. Riding kinda sucks with all the bikes all going to the same places, lots of cops. Worth seeing once I guess.
  15. MrEndo

MrEndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done Sturgis atleast a dozen times since 1990. I've settled into staying at Hog Heaven because of its proximity to town. Riding the area with loads of jackasses isn't that much fun but if you've never been there, see Rushmore and loop around through deadwood in one day. Take in the Badlands either on your way in or out. I enjoy finding a place to park on main street just before the sun goes down and enjoy the freek show that parades by. I've never stayed at "The Chip" but it appeals to me. Might try it this year. Take earplugs to sleep wherever u end up. It can be pretty hot at night so any morning shade helps the sleep. Have fun.
  16. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I've been going since 1990. I don't spend much time in town but lots of great riding. Last trip ( 2006 ) I stayed at little campground called Iron Horse campground, www.ironhorsecampground.com It's next to Bear Butte and across way from Buffalo chip, and Full Throttle Saloon. It's quiet with a small bar and place to eat. Has showers. I was happy with it.
  17. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been going for around forty years, but not every year.

Here are a few observations.

In the last 15 years or so I've NEVER ridden from Sturgis to Deadwood during the rally without seeing a fatal accident. This is in the daytime.

Also never done it without having some bonehead do something stupid right in front of me.

In Sturgis if you want to get somewhere go on streets a block or two away from the highways.

In the Hills, take the gravel roads. Many are pretty decent and traffic is light. Get a Nat. Forest map to find your way.

Quiet camping is in the National Forest. Usually a pump but no shower or flush toilet.

Getting there from the east get on I90 somewhere in Minnesota. It is a rolling museum of strange as well as ordinary people.

If you break down on the highway expect a VERY long wait before someone stops to see if you need help. I stopped to help a guy on a nice old Pan and he had been there for 3 hours. I changed the alternator rotor (airhead beemer) on the side of I90 with dozens of bikes / minute going by. Nobody stopped.

In the hills if it is a fun road near Sturgis there will be a police presence even in the middle of the night. Actually the older boys told me about this. I have no personal experience.:evil

Flat track racing at night is fun to watch.

Go ahead and try it. If it doesn't appeal to you you can always leave.
  18. PapiD

PapiD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the tips. Been there many times. Always some boneheads, always some good people, great roads!
  19. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. GSingWI

GSingWI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably spelled wrong

Close to Devils tower, a nice days ride on wednesday of rally week.

No Panty Wednesday I always thought was a high point of Sturgis.

A small little town which is crowded as hell on that day.

GOOD TIMES!