Sturgis Rally 2012

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dirtybike, Jan 24, 2012.

1. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way over-rated. Unless you like seeing lots of un-experienced dead riders on the side of the road. Unless you worship the Harley Lifestyle, I say skip it and go ride somewhere else. Way too many riders who have no clue. Or riding skills, unless you consider drinking too many Beers and then crashing is your thing... Then it might appeal to you. It did not to me. Those were not my people there.
  2. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sturgis 1977. Shot with 110 film. Yes, things have changed.

[​IMG]
  3. 2rock

2rock Motoholic

Oddometer:
    I went last year, had a blast. I camped at Glencoe, if you go to the back end its quieter, and more important plenty of shade trees! Its across from Full Throttle Saloon, so not so risky with the huge cop presence. You'll definitely see waaay more than u want to on titty alley! Yeah theres a ton of posers, so what, its your ride.
  4. Air GS

Air GS Out riding

Oddometer:
    I've been going for 20 years and really enjoy it. Don't know why I enjoy it so much, kinda like slowing down for a peak at a wreck, morbid curiosity I guess. The last 3 years I've enjoyed it on the GS. Got to see areas which I wouldn't have seen on a road bike. Used to do the 110in with hangers and lost momentum with it when doing the mountains and didn't need the attention anymore. Love the sweeps in the black hills and the flesh at night is fun too. Wife hates going up there, (probably the real reason i go) and doesn't go, to righteous I guess, not me, I'm a pig at heart (but in great shape) which probably makes me a poser adv rider. Anyway, don't let stereotypes make or break you, cause it's still about the ride. Email me if you want a killer camp spot a couple miles from town, I'll be there sat-thurs again this year.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e4iitp
  5. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Sounds like excellent photo ops!
    :1drink
  6. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope it's like being in a whole world full of "People of Wal-Mart."!!!!!

7. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Henny Youngman had it right

Oddometer:
    Now THAT would make a good sig line.:freaky:rofl
  8. GOZFST

GOZFST Gozfst

Oddometer:
    And you can rent machine guns at The Buffalo Chip.
  9. ADV Fool

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to my first trip to Sturgis, then checking it off the list. . . . .
  10. Yellotang

Yellotang Harley *****

Oddometer:
    Bring money. Lots of money. No matter how cheap you want it too be, it'll cost you.
  11. GOZFST

GOZFST Gozfst

Oddometer:
    There is lots of road construction on I90 in SD now, lots of 1 lane traffic, it will be a mess during the rally. I'd recommend getting off before Mitchell or if you can wait until Chamberlain go down to 44 and ride that to Rapid City, it's very scenic and a few small towns to slow down for. Watch your speed when going through the reservations.
  12. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Just remember that even the cheapest hotels enroute jack their prices up for the rally. Nothing uncommon to find some Motel 6 wanting $129 per night 500 miles from Sturgis.
  13. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice and input. Looks like I'm not going to do the trip this year. Too many other things, home and work, are taking priority.
    Got to do it one of these years.
  14. ADV Fool

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like dirtybike Won't be able to make it this year.

BUT, Goinpostal & I ARE making the trip so please keep the suggestions coming for us two Sturgis newbies!!!!!
  15. Rescue Wagon

Rescue Wagon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've stayed at Bear Butte Creek Campground two years running now and you can't beat it for price and the setup. Trees and its quite at night so you can get sleep. Also, its little cafe will help keep the cost reasonable which is nice during the rally. Its the only place I'll stay if I go back this year.

http://www.bearbuttecreekcampground.com/
  16. oldhuskyrider

oldhuskyrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In spearfish has always treated us well. On we'd. The 8th of Aug, make your way to Vale for the super secret STREET DRAGS you will not be disappointed, the posers haven't found us yet.
    Spearfish is a lot like what Sturgi used to be.
  17. GOZFST

GOZFST Gozfst

Oddometer:
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I'll be there sunday -Thursday on the dual-sportster. Staying just off main at a friends house