1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Sudbury ON Riders?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sudburyrider, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for the Dacre Dualsport Challenge (Adv Bike Class) June 22,23 and 24 2018.
    upload_2017-12-31_11-54-38.png
  2. Beerfire

Beerfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm interested! Where is it ?
  3. Beerfire

Oddometer:
    Ohh and btw rumour has it that trail side sports will soon be a KTM dealer!!

That would be sweet!
  4. Beerfire

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a day trip to the bike show this weekend?
  5. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Yeah I heard about it. Wonder if it's really a challenge? :dunno :lurk

Sean :D
  6. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got interested in this sometime in the spring of last year, mainly for the off-road route. It runs from around Midland to somewhere around the Ottawa Valley area. When I attended the Chris Birch ADV training at the end of May with the Rally Connex guys I asked them about it. I got the impression it was rather “hardcore”. I don’t know if it was them just talking, but I’m not into swap crossings waist+ deep with a $20K+ bike, I’m not sponsored!!

Before talking with them, I was really interested in doing this. :muutt

Happy New Year!
    GR0NK likes this.
  7. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Haha, poor Birchy. He is the real deal but Rome and Graham pretty much dragged his ass to that 1st place finish in 2014. Afterwards he said we were all a bunch of loonies and he was never doing the Dacre ever again. :imaposer

But I'm one to talk. My team DNF'd that year. I made it to Dacre solo sometime after 10pm just to get a stupid survivor sticker. I suppose Birchy was right about us being loonies. :photog

Suds17 and Mad_Max like this.
  8. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did they have the ADV Bike route last year or just the enduro bike route?
  9. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Oshawa for a hockey tournament, will try to get to the show on Saturday between games.
  10. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think they did this event last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Beerfire

Oddometer:
    So maybe it will be 20+k bike friendly lol our funny more like 30k +++ lol

Well let’s find out if there is in fact a new adv track vs the super hardcore one

Ok enjoy the show I’m thinking we’re going to the bike show Friday
  12. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How was the Chris Birch training? I was thinking about signing up for a session in August.
  13. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    2016. The Dacre is every two years.
    The ADV track was more of a dualsport ride if I am correct. This year it's serious. :brow

14. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:

To be brutally honest, I was a little disappointed. I wasn’t interested in doing the level 1 class as I figured it’d be fairly basic stuff. However, according to their sign-ups, you have to have done the level 1 class before they will let you do the level 2. I was going to call and inquire about skipping over the level 1, but found out a friend of mine was going, and already had signed up for a level 1 class. So I joined him in the same class.

As expected, if you have a dirt bike background or if you frequently off-road with your big bike (not just logging roads), most of what level 1 is teaching you, is how to handle and maneuver the big bikes off-road. You know, it’s for those big city, Starbucks types! Not to try and boast, but I can honestly say, I didn’t learn a single thing from level 1.

However, at the end of the day, we still had a little time to kill. So Birchy asked the group if there was anything we would like to go over. One of the guys suggested doing log crossings. This was where I indeed learned a few things. I never realized (especially with the big bikes) how important preloading your suspension is and what a difference it makes for traction to get over an obstacle. With the smaller bikes, I always did it without thinking of it, especially in motocross, but with the big bikes, I’d usually just power over obstacles. With enough preload and traction though, you can make the big bikes lurch just like the smaller bikes. I never thought with only a TKC80 I’d get that kind of hook-up. Birch had said this was part of the level 2 training. This was also where he showed off some of his skills!

Not to discourage anyone from doing it. Overall, it was a great experience. I would go again. Just talking with Chris was cool. The guy I had gone with said that he had picked up a couple of things from the level one training that he found himself doing wrong, primarily with body positioning.

I do still want to attend the level 2 big bike training, along with both levels for the smaller bikes. I think for the smaller bikes, they assume you can already ride a dirt bike, so they start the course at a slightly higher level. I least I hope!

Cheers

GR0NK and Beerfire like this.
  15. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is serous like the ride on the Nickel Range road?
  16. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I feared, I would like to do the level 2 and bypass level 1.
  17. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Way more. The hardest part of that is like going to Starbucks compared to what is thrown at you at the Dacre.

Sean :brow
  18. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How was the Bike show gents? Did anyone happen to swing by and see the Rally Connex gang and pick their brains about the Dacre?

Cheers

19. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Those guys will sugarcoat everything to lull you into a false sense of security. Don't trust them! :photog

In 2010 our team collectively suffered a concussion (yours truly), a separated shoulder and a complete tear of the tendon that allows one to use their opposable thumb on our way to a debut 3rd place finish in a cold and wet rally. We lead shortly after the first checkpoint until after lunch when we crashed hard, got hurt and had to slow down.
    Here we are posing with Patrick Trahan at the awards ceremony.

[​IMG]

In 2012 we fought the heat and dust to come back from last place at the first checkpoint to 2nd at the finish. I thought they would need to amputate my eyes. They still hurt every time I look at this picture...

[​IMG]

In 2014 our lead rider smoked another bike at 60kph in a farmer's field just as the sun was coming up. (4am start) We drew a late start and we were flying past bikes when this KLR rider dumped right in front of us. Hauler hit him so hard I thought the guy was dead. I ran right over his bike trying to avoid hitting him a second time. Amazingly the guy survived. Dr. Dan Curan was a few minutes behind us and stopped to check him out. After 30 minutes of administering aid and straightening the bent front brake disc on Hauler's 500EXC we resumed. But Hauler was a bit shaken up and never got back in the zone. Later in the day GoJo rear-ended him and sprained/fractured Hauler's ankle. I finished solo in the dark (technically a team DNF) after 19 hours on the bike. Only four teams listed as finishers so we got scored 6th. I actually made it to the finish in 5th but the next partial team behind me had 2 of 3 riders so they were scored ahead of us.
    I had to bribe him with a Grandma's buttertart but Birchy actually took this picture of us the evening before the start.

[​IMG]

If there is anything in particular you would like to know I won't sugarcoat anything. :D

Sean :-)
    Beerfire and Mad_Max like this.
  20. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jesus
    Beerfire likes this.