suggested routes - Phoenix to Monument Valley or ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 66cochise, Aug 2, 2019.

1. 66cochise

66cochise n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there! First post here, I'm based in Phoenix, looking to explore the Navajo Nation/Monument Valley area, does anyone have any suggestions or routes they have done in the past through this area? Also, what has been your experience camping on the reservation?

Joel
  2. 66cochise

66cochise n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry I think I didn't get this put in the proper area of the forum, not sure how to move it now
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just beware that monument valley is tribal territory and they don't allow motorcycles in, only cars. I had been there last year and they offered me to park bike at entrance and walk the valley while eating Jeep dust tail; the offer which I kindly declined.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that's a surprise. I never knew that. We did run into a similar situation concerning the road from Peach Springs down to the Colorado River
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't want dirt bikes but lump all bikes
  6. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can ride and camp in most parts on the reservation. Ideally, get a backcountry permit from the Navajo Nation—which is cheap and “required.” If you want to explore Navajo National Monument, there is a cool dirt road from Shonto that runs to the backside of the NN Monument. Cool backroads between Tsegi Canyon and Kayenta and then to MV.

There are so many places to explore around Monument Valley but the best camping near there (IMO) is over the UT border near Mexican hat atop Muley Point which provides the best view of the SW and is cooler temp wise.

The dirt road at MV Tribal Park isn’t mind blowing, so don’t worry if you miss it. The view from The Views is incredible.

The Navajo Nation is so vast and that area between Shonto, Navajo Mountain, Monument Valley and Mexican hat/Cedar Mesa is one of my favorite places to ride.

Have a great trip and realize that the Navajo are different than many other tribes in terms of their welcoming of tourists vs other tribes wanting to keep tourists away. I’ve had tens of thousands of positive encounters while riding the Navajo backcountry and only two negative ones that turned positive with demonstrating respect, a smile, and a handshake.

Send me a pm if I can be of more help.
    thetourist likes this.