Suggestion for overland ride near Los Angeles

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by stevekat, Jul 31, 2020.

1. stevekat

stevekat Just GSsssing

Oddometer:
    Looking for jeep trail/fire roads/easy single track ride within about 90 minutes of Los Angeles (say from intersection 405/10 freeways.)

A friend took me out to Gorman, and we had fun, but I kept dumping my bike on technical single tracks (DRZ400SM with Adv tires.) Also, I'd prefer to go somewhere, rather than ride in circles on the trails.

Would like the alternative of covering some distance off-road, seeing some scenery, maybe camping at a destination and returning the next day. Some pavement OK.

Was thinking up to 40 miles outbound or more, with maybe some side routes.

Our bikes are plated.

Any suggestions?
    sealsam likes this.
  2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you would be happy in the Big Bear area.
  3. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Silverwood lake is one such area which comes to mind. There are camping spots accessable by ADV bikes (and Wranglers) south from the lake. Also - Blue Ridge camp and Guffy campgrounds on the ridge just west from Wrightwood.
    When are you planning to go?
    stevekat, Chillis and sealsam like this.
  4. stevekat

stevekat Just GSsssing

Oddometer:
    Big Bear is a possibility. Looking for a specific set of roads or single-track that meet the criteria once there.

Wrightwood and Silverwood Lake look like interesting destinations. Again, looking for specific jeep roads or fire roads once there for a nice long overland ride that is not too technical.

Both are a little farther than preferred, but there may not much closer.

Planning to go between now and Sept./Oct.
    Chillis and sealsam like this.
  5. Tyestick

Tyestick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Silverwood Lake.

TONS of areas to ride out there, and plenty of places to camp. Lots of Jeep trails, and fire roads.

Here’s some pictures from last time I went...

Attached Files:

stevekat, Chillis and sealsam like this.
  6. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding to what they said...

Near the southeast corner of Silverwood Lake there is a staging area (if you truck in) called Miller's Canyon. Look around there for a kiosk that has FREE maps of the roads, trails and campgrounds in the area. Also be sure to check out the posts by Rider914 and others who have done a great job describing the areas around Lytle Creek, Wrightwood and places east of I-15.

Can't seem to post a link, but try this - https://advrider.com/f/threads/best-noob-day-trip-trail-ride-in-so-cal-la-verne-los-angeles.638605/ or https://usfs-public.app.box.com/v/bdf-mvum-north for another great resource.

For you or anybody else reading this, bring lotsa water cuz it's friggen HOT out there. Cooler temps are found higher up. And like everywhere else, watch out for a-holes ripping around blind corners. Cleghorn Road (right off I-15) is particularly bad.

Post up when you go out there. Showing guys around is a good excuse to head that way.
    stevekat, Tyestick and CA Stu like this.
  7. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike are you riding?
  8. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    ^ this guy has a good suggestion.

The route from Big Bear to Pioneertown is an easy trip.
    If Pappy and Harriet's isn't open, it's a short hop to Yucca Valley and there's gas, food, and so forth there.

And, like has been suggested, pack lots of water just in case.
    stevekat likes this.
  9. stevekat

stevekat Just GSsssing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Yesterday we chose the Liebre Mountain Golden Eagle Trail. We parked at Quail Lake, rode up 138 for about a mile to The Old Ridge Route, and picked up 7N23. We had the option of popping up to N2 two thirds of the way to Lake Hughes, but continued on 7N08 or 7N09 to Lake Huges (ended at Lake Hughes Road.) From the parking lot to Lake Hughes was about 33 miles, maybe 5 -7 miles on clean asphalt. We took N2 (nicely paved) back to The Old Ridge Route as we were kinda worn down from the way out. This was a nice ride, not too hard. The fire road was in pretty good shape, though there were some areas that required care to get through. We stopped at Sawmill Campground, about 2/3 along the route to eat our carried lunch at a picnic table in the shade. The temps were not too bad. At a modest pace with lots of stops to see views and lunch, it took about three hours from the parking lot to Lake Hughes, and less than four hours total to get back to the parking lot at Quail Lake. The total was about 56 miles.

Getting to 138 and Quail Lake from exit 61 of the 405 (Skirball Center Dr; Mulholland Dr.) took less than an hour.

I am riding a DRZ400SM with adventure tires. My buddy, who is a far more experienced rider, is on a KTM 350 EXC, both plated.

Another ride that has been suggested is the Alamo Mountain Loop, that is not too far from this Golden Eagle Trail.

IMG_20200805_154134013.jpg

Sawmill Campground
    IMG_20200804_125441226_HDR.jpg
    Mordster and el Pete like this.
  10. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Nice!. Just north of Castaic Lake off Lake Hughes Road you can pick up 6N24 and connect to 7N01 and the Lake Hughes Truck trail, and that will drop you off right in the middle of Lake Hughes, about 100 yards from the Rock Inn. It's mostly just forest road with a couple creek crossings. Fun ride though...
  11. stevekat

stevekat Just GSsssing

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting. Maybe add 6N32 out to Fish Canyon and back as part of the loop.

How are the creek crossings in terms of depth and difficulty?

12. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Deepest is about a foot deep and a little chewed up on the far end from use, but no real problem. Towards the end of summer they will be just a trickle.
  13. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You picked nice areas but you can see that those trails are kind of limited in what and where you can go. Good starting area though.